CharacterData.bin import - last character n/w

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Fluxscreamer
Neophyte

CharacterData.bin import - last character n/w

Post by Fluxscreamer »

Hello all,

Finally getting an account to post a question. Have been playing DM and DM II back in the day on the Amiga, and now I wanted to replay them. Having a lot less time these days, I wanted to avoid "grinding" the characters.
I therefore set out by exporting the CharacterData.bin, and editing the file (CSB Hero Edit for some reason does not work for me, the values do not stay set.)
So, I changed the skills in a hex editor, confirm it looks good in CSB Hero Edit (it does).
Now, when I reimport the file with CSBuild (tried from 2.55 to 3.09), the last character stays completely unchanged in the game. It does not matter which character it is, either. All the other characters come out as expected, although I see that Stamina is divided by 10 apparantly.

Any ideas why the last character stays unchanged?

Thanks,

Ralf
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: CharacterData.bin import - last character n/w

Post by beowuuf »

Not sure (and welcome to the forum).

A simpler way would be to edit the dm dungeon.dat in csbuild to create the party stats you wish in the champion mirror.
Fluxscreamer
Neophyte

Post by Fluxscreamer »

Hi Beowuuf (love the name, btw, it is very funny).

Thank you, yes indeed that is a good way to get the party you want. And it works like a charm. I just tried it out.

Thanks,

Ralf
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I've had it so long I keep forgetting where it comes from :)

Have fun playing!

If you want to play DMII, note that the clone RTC has a version of it available as part of the basic package. With RTC, you can do the same (ish) trick and edit the initial champions.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

beowuuf wrote:If you want to play DMII, note that the clone RTC has a version of it available as part of the basic package. With RTC, you can do the same (ish) trick and edit the initial champions.
Note that your mileage may vary on RTC DM2. There are quite a few "features" of DM2 that were left out, because RTC is really a DM1 engine + a good deal more flexibility, not a DM2 engine. But, in the opinions of many around here, those omissions are regarded to be improvements. The DM2 purists complain, though. :mrgreen:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, no cool porter minions :-(

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”