What do you think you would try?

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: What would you try?

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, thread death imminent!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Why? What's wrong with Tomi's question?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Nothing wrong with it, I'm just waiting for other reactions ;-)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Sophia wrote:the answer you're looking for in this absurdly contrived question.
:( I was just trying to make Duckman's post more living. :(
Gambit37 wrote:I'm just waiting for other reactions
:(

Well, at least I succeeded in provoking some responses and giving Duckman something to thing about! :D

EDIT: As a teacher, I know that giving absurd, contrieved, exaggarated or extreme examples is the best way to provoke a vivid discussion. :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Duckman wrote: Question 8 by Duckman:...You get totally lost somehow... mountain passage blocks your way...you are able to figure a way around the mountains, But you will have to ration your food if you do so...
I think I'll go around the mountains, hills I'd go over, mountain not so much. I'll pick hunger over risking possible death any day.
T0Mi wrote:A similar question would be: You have 3 workers in your company. One ...average worker ...One ...a genius mind ...One ...disabled ...
All three do the same work and are equally productive (meaning they produce the same amount of parts).
Whos work is worth the most? Is it 'right' to have them payed equally?
I'd say the question then comes down to who enjoys their work the most and would benefit doing a different job, the genius obviously doesn't enjoy the work otherwise he'd have found a way to be way more productive; the average work, yes does their work well but could possibly do another job even better, leaving the disabled working, who must enjoy their work, knows how to do it and if put to work in a different area would be much less productive than the others. So his work is worth the most in that job.

Yes it is right to pay them equally, a trained doctor that drives cabs for a living doesn't and shouldn't be paid more than another other person that drives a cab and provides the same service.

Trego's Questions:

1) You see an angry mob, some look to be the shop guards from the local magic guild, they all seem to be chasing a young child (boy or girl) who looks as if he/she has not eaten in some time.

Will you, hand over the child to the mob, or stop the mob so the child can get a way?

What if the child was an elderly man/woman, or didn't look hungry?

2) From Harry Potter, if you could choose 1 item what would it be: The clock of invisibility, the unbeatable wand, ability to bring the dead back to life.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Trego: #2
Invisibility? No, I saw that episode of X-files and Hollow man was crap.
Unbeatable Wand? No, my wand should always be beatable...
Resurrection? No, I have a junk mail folder for that.

:P
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I personally think it's right to pay them equally, and I wish that more companies would pay them equally.

What happens instead, usually, is they get paid a flat rate by the hour worked, so if it takes the genius 4 hours, the average guy 8 hours, and the slow guy 16 hours, he's made 4 times the money (plus overtime pay) for being less productive. :P

All the genius can do is find another job or get a promotion and try to get more per hour, I guess. :P :wink:
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Trego wrote:Trego's Questions:

1) You see an angry mob, some look to be the shop guards from the local magic guild, they all seem to be chasing a young child (boy or girl) who looks as if he/she has not eaten in some time.

Will you, hand over the child to the mob, or stop the mob so the child can get a way?
Hmm - an interesting question. If the child was hungry, he would probably try to steal some food from a normal shop or a stall, but not magic tools from a local magic guild. What if the child only pretends being hungry, but is actually someone with bad intentions, trying to get some magic properties to e.g. destroy the World?

My reaction would depend on the situation. If the crowd was small and relatively calm, I would try to stop everybody (the child and the people) and negotiate, eventually paying the food for the child or something like that. If the crowd was too large and/or too angry, I would try to stop the crowd somehow (e.g. by luring them in a wrong direction), and then I would try to track the child and find out what was going on.
Trego wrote:What if the child was an elderly man/woman, or didn't look hungry?
Probably, this wouldn't change my behaviour a lot.

Anyway, I must say that answers to these questions (including my Étude for one Sahara desert, one bottle with water, one knife and three people) might be a bit misleading - we all can write answers as Nicholas Winton (the guy who saved a lot of Jewish children from Czechoslovakia during the WW Two), but who knows how would we behave in reality?
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

T0Mi wrote:Is it 'right' to have them payed equally?
This is also like wages vs salary.

If they are paid a salary they should be paid the same, but if they are paid a wage the genius should actually be paid less and the disabled person paid more. I'm assuming they are paid a salary so my above comment stands.
Jan wrote:who knows how would we behave in reality?
I'd like to hope I'd behave true to myself, try my best, not let too many people die (especially myself).
Jan wrote:...one Sahara desert, one bottle with water, one knife and three people...
If there was no other possibility of survival, that is only one can survive, I'd draw straws, of course hope it was me, but if not do the best I could to help the others.
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Question 3

I'm thinking of the Diablo game/s, who do/did you choose as a character:

Rouge/assassin, Sorcerer, Warrior, Monk, Bard, barbarian, Amazon, Necromancer, Druid, Paladin.

Each have their own strengths and weaknesses (of which I can't remember),

But I liked playing the Amazon, and the other character that shoot with the bow/long distance. My strategy / strength I generally choose is fighting from a distance, stay out of range and not get hit too often.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Trego wrote:I'm thinking of the Diablo game/s, who do/did you choose as a character:
I chose Rogue (D1) and Amazon (D2) - but I don't know whether it was because of their skills or because of their physical appearance... :wink:
T0Mi wrote:You have 3 workers in your company. One of them is a average worker... One of them has a genius mind, but is lazy... One of them is disabled in a way, but tries very hard to get his work done, working overtime most days.
I forgot to answer to this one - as Sophia, I think it's fair to pay them equally, although it's more a wish than the reality.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

This theard exploded! So many questions... so many replies... It's time to do so and i do so... thank ye every one... Wait, i edit tis post when I read trough all those questions...

For TOMi: Someone said that you should pay them all equally... that would be a good opinion, expect that here in Finland at least it's illegal to go below a certain salary limit. I would keep the ones who i know and like the best. If i like 'em all equally, i would keep the one who tries his best, then the average, then the genius.
knows how would we behave in reality?
That's just why i said this forum is not that serious.

For sophia: I would attempt to wrect the radiator with the saw.

For Trego 1: If i'm sure it's a mob, i would call police. They belong to jail like everyone knows. If the victim (regardless of age) is in danger, I would scream for help and attack the same time (if i have the bravery) against the mob

For trego 2: I am no match for the death, so wisest thing would be let them be. Hopefully i would do so, but temptation would probaly be very big.

For trego 3: Monk. wise and religious man is always good to have at dangerous journeys.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

I edit the hall of champions now

TOmi thank you but I don't think i would be able to run such distance when thirsty... I once tried to do so without haing drunk during the whole day, and lasted only 10 kilometers by running and then had to start walking.

I HAVE to do a question when this forum is so active:

Question 9 by duckman: the one who poested FIFE posts above your current post is going to descend to a dungeon, very classic one, something like the original, deep dungeon, vexirk catacomb or like that. You have been ordered to produce eqipment for him/her. You have a craftsman who is willing to do anything from normal FE50 steel or normal clothing textiles, your choice. He is very skilled, and will do just what you say, but only with the material you chose. The material you did'nt order him for you have to weave/smith yourself. Both of you can use any tools found from a common factory with your work. You can make some equipment from wood if you like. Luckily you don't have to pay anything from the material nor the tools, nor pay any salary for the craftsman. WHAT WOULD YOU MAKE(DO)/ATTEMT TO MAKE(DO)
Oxman
Novice

Post by Oxman »

I can´t answer these questions. too hard to write. but I have a question:

Question 2 by Oxman:

Which of these you would choose as punishment from something:
1.Thrown from a tower one hundred meters tall.
2.Being sunken into ful-ya pit with heat of two thousand celsius degrees.
3.Given to very very large wolf pack not eaten in thirty days.
4.Forced to fight to death agains knight crowd twenty men large.

Please post just the answer. Wait a week after the release of this post before posting the reasonof your answer.
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Answer to Oxman's Question 2
Oxman wrote: Which of these you would choose as punishment from something...
4.Forced to fight to death agains knight crowd twenty men large...
It was this or the wolf pack.

Duckman's Question
Duckman wrote: ...5 posts above your current post is going to descend to a dungeon...
Oh bugger that's me.
Duckman wrote:WHAT WOULD YOU MAKE(DO)/ATTEMT TO MAKE(DO)
I'm guessing by normal means and items found from an every day store...

So I'd get a camouflage print outfit, shades of greys, simple metal plates/pads placed on the forearms, chest and back. Slightly thicker on the back (running away defence). Leather gloves (metal studded/ wolverine spikes if allowed). Supper strong elastic bands added (to be removed later on to make: sling shoot, ninja throwing thing that wraps around people, etc...)

Wooden: I'd get a short spear and the basics for a bow (the elastic would help here too).

Aiming on max movement speed, agility and dodge.

If I was awesome at making my own gear I'd do a light weight, flame resistant, blessed (holy water), bullet proof getup.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I'll go with the wolves.. they would be dead.. or barely alive. 30 days is a wee bit much :P Two weeks without food and they would have started eating one of their own I think.
Oxman
Novice

Post by Oxman »

30 days is long time...
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

"Wolves can go without sustenance for long periods, with a Russian record showing how one specimen survived for 17 days without food. Research has shown that 2 weeks without food will not weaken a wolf's muscle activity."

(Wikipedia)
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

I change my mind, I choose wolves...

wait hold on... very very large wolf pack minus one large wolf pack due to being eaten...still leaves,

1, 2, 3... a very large wolf pack.

I need more of description on the type of wolves and knights.

Can I use a gun? Knights don't have guns do they? I change my mind again I choose knights.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

:D
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

A1 by duckman: I would go with Jimbo and some yeast, and the barrel i'm currently wearing (ok I might be lying right now), make some booze out of whatever I find in the dungeon, get wasted and try to piss on each and every grate, fountain, pit and monster in the dungeon.
A2 by duckman: I would wait until the eye is at the corner, jump on him and put my finger in its eye, grab him by the... hem.. hanging tentacles and use him as parachute down the pit.
A3 by duckman: i would put beo frontleft and sophia rear right and use them as wall bumpers until i find the exit.
A4 by duckman: you really ask a lot of silly and long questions. 6 hulking men in a dungeon ? What's that ? A g4y underground party ? I'd certainly prefer to get lost.
A5 by duckman: I'd not qualify a marathon + 300 pushups in a row as even theoretically comparable to finishing the dungeon "live". And I don't see the point in running a marathon before. It's like cutting one's arm before a swordfight. I'd do Surgical Strike alone. It can be finished almost without fighting, and RTC enemies are so slow... besides, I know the answers to all the riddle, and I more or less remember where the damn onyx key is.

I don't have time to answer other questions, so that's it for now.

Q1 by joramun:
You are an architect hired by Lord Chao to redesign his underground cheese factory (called the "Dungeon Munster") so that's it's much much harder, but not impossible, so that Chao still gets some adventurers to kill by himself from time to time with his new power-hammer made of hardened cheese. Also, it has to be hard enough because he doesn't want to meet a pimped-up Stamm with a Double-Edged Vorax and Darc Armor AND mana (because come-on, Stamm is not supposed to get any wizard level anyway).

Otherwise he won't hire you to redesign his summer retreat in the countryside near Marseille (dubbed "Chao's Strike Back").

What would you change in the dungeon, starting from the original plan?

Q2 by joramun: Same question for CSB, but you have to answer Q1 first. In any case, workers in Marseille are probably on a strike and wouldn't start the builds anytime soon, unless you publicly back down about wanting to privatize the company that staffs dungeons: "Denis Zens & Co".
What Is Your Quest ?
Duckman
Adept

Re: What do you think you would you try?

Post by Duckman »

Jan's comment about that we can't really know what we were to do is so true it made me think a bit more... "what would you try" does not sound good, indeed, when we are here only quessing and questioning. So because the aim is to just awake some discussion, I decided to change the title to "what do you think you would to do?"´. It sounds better does'nt it?

For Joramun: You are right about that my questions could do inproving but as I said above, the point is to just awake discussion, that's what forums are for after all.
For A3 that would work in general dungeon, but you know Zed5duke... one false step and you are trapped forever.
You are right that doing 300 pushups and running a marathon so fast is a lot easier, or at least less painful, than fighting many hours or even days almost without hope in hostile evrioment. But by that theory completing surgical strike alone is the worst choice you can make! Not meaning to offend, but could you please explain me what did you mean with that? These are really interesting replies so thank you from them.

Interesting questions.
For Q1: It's a dreadful idea to work for chaos but let's assume I accepted anyway: That would be an increadibly lot of Excavation for me, ESPECIALLY when we consider that I could only use pickaxes, spades and ironstaves(not sure about that name) when tunnel drills and explosives hard enough to excavate aren't invented yet. I think I would just start digging from top and plan as I go, I would have plenty of time for that and ideas would probaly be better if I know myself.

For Q2: Same, but I would start digging from the chamber of chaos.

For Oxman:
Wolf pack, I'll explain if i remember when the week has passed.

Thank you all from the activity.

Further edit: Sometimes i have the feeling i am keeping this theard alive by force. I think I stop doing my own questions anymore here, however I still will be answering your's shall anyone make them, occasionally saying hello and keeping up the hall of champions. I will probaly however visit some other theards as a replacement. (Thanks beo)
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

I guess you're taking it to seriously. Let it die if no one replies anymore, it's not really a problem, is it ?

I just mean that if I have to fight in a dungeon, I won't EVER run 40km (even in 4 hours) before entering it. I've not run a marathon in my life, but I understand it is extremely hard physically, and more runners need to rest for days (-weeks-more ?) after it. To complete a dungeon, you need to be fit. And the best solution by my standard would be the first one, but I'm not sure I would be able to complete a marathon in 2h30 (it's like world record level, no ? ) however 300 pushups might be ok after some training.

About my questions: you're supposed to be the ARCHITECT, not the one digging the dungeon...
What Is Your Quest ?
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Q1 by joramun
Joramun wrote:...redesign his underground cheese factory ...
Well every good underground Cheese Factory would need an abundance of Milk. Underground farms will be needed, each farm producing a particular type of milk to be added to the cheese process, not just cows but anything milk-able will do. Small Rat will be one of the first farms the hero will encounter, of course the ready supply of heroes will help sustain the farms, the water needed will be reversed filtered from a towns sewer, reversed being more sh#t will be added. Giggler tunnels will insure the bones of champions will make it to the farms livestock.

The lower chambers will be heated by the fire demons that dwell in the depths, this will aid in the fermentation and pasteurisation (although the second a unfortunate side effect).

A service tunnel to the left of the main entrance and hidden in the shadows will ensure easy access to Choa's inner sanctum for his underlings.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

AH, FINALLY A GOOD LAUGH ! Thank you Trego. Pasteurized cheese is for wussies. (and it's Chao, not Choa, otherwise, you know, ..., hem, ok, sorry.)

I must add: The topic title is NOT ok. "What do you think you would you try?"
CHOOSE: What do you think you would try ?
OR : What would you try ?
NOT A MIXTURE OF BOTH.
Unlike Chaos and Order, sentences are better when they're not mixed together.
What Is Your Quest ?
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

Joramun thanks from the notice about the title! I'm bit careless, meant to write the first opinion. You said i'm taking this too seriously and i should let this die... thats just what I meant IF this theard dies... it has not died already! You are right about that recovering, but if you could run the marathon AFTER the dungeon... well dungeoning is too exhausting, it would not do. But I did NOT say you cannot take a break between the challeges. If you could, what would you choose then? And if i'm an architect... same thing still, no matter who are digging, there's so much time to plan during digging (and nothing else to do except to help the diggers with their work) that I still think best ideas would come by experinces about tunneling.

Really, funny that trego's reply for joramuns question.