ogre 3d

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

ogre 3d

Post by cowsmanaut »

anyone played with this thing at all? I'm seeing it has a maya exporter for animation and everything, also seems to have a solid level of support for a variety of shaders and lighting. The more I play with my ideas here the more I wonder about making a complete game that is inspired by, but not restricted by, DM. Being the visual person I am, I see the limitations of a grid based map as preventing me from easily making a varied and impressive environment, and than step based movement would only just restrict you from being able to enjoy it fully.

The main reason I keep going back to entombed is that I can work with the kinds of things I need to do for work, create normal maps, animated mesh, and play with textures. However, necessity for Max makes it hard to adopt. I'm unused to max and finding myself less and less willing to deal with it. I do however want to complete this pirate cave and pirates.

anyway, wondering if anyone had some comments on it, difficulties or otherwise..

moo
Roquen
Artisan

Re: ogre 3d

Post by Roquen »

I've haven't looked at Orge in a long time. Something else I haven't looked at (but you might want to) is the new Unreal (www.udk.com) dev kit release.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i remember having a look at pyOgre, a python binding for Ogre. As i have never learnd c++ or java at school (they were brand new languages at that time and weren't included in our school programs), i can only play with scripting languages such as perl or lua.
And python was quite close from them, but i got lost when i realized that pyOgre used object based libraries... because i've never learned those programming methods and now i'm too lazy to learn by myself !
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Roquen wrote:I've haven't looked at Orge in a long time. Something else I haven't looked at (but you might want to) is the new Unreal (http://www.udk.com) dev kit release.
I came to this place the weekend too, got it now, but haven't checked it too.
Also grabbed the older Quake3-source - and wonder how to compile that - it's just weird. Probably the 'vcproject' is already for the 2005-pack of MSVC. Somehow I believe I should update some stuff...

Don't know how much code of several engines I have lying around - after all I never used one.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I had thought about unreal, but if I find the time to really flesh out a full game.. Ogre allows you to use it for commercial gain as well, where as unreal would not.

my main interest is in adaptablity to a DM style of play in that I want the most important aspects, and that it can accept the stuff I make in maya. Like I said, I don't want to try to do it all in max, I do have it at work, but I'm not comfortable at all with it.

so what kinds of DM aspects?
Sleep
Eat/drink
weapons and spells practice/leveling
and a rune driven spell system.

so far, I want in my current level, to be able to kill x number of zombie pirates and "collect their souls" in an item in hand to open a doorway. Something also not currently set up for DM as near as I can think of. I also want a single player style rather than a party of 4. How does one save their bum? why with an altar of a different sort. You touch the altar to set a respawn point... or just don't die :P

I've mocked up a rough level in Maya so I can figure out scale for view and just travel itself. I've free'd up 2 days a week for myself, so a project might be worth while. If not this then I'll just go back to my book. :)
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

cowsmanaut wrote:...where as unreal would not.
Sure you can. A hundred US dollars for a royalty-bearing license is what you'd pay to develop XBOX 360 games and sell them in the XBOX Live Community, but without arbitrary restrictions on size (max 150 MB), price (800 MS points), currency (MS points only), outlet (XBOX Live Community only), and software (integrated Games for Windows Live client), not to mention you get access to the commercial licensee documentation and forums. Smartest move Epic ever made if you ask me.

I actually came back here specifically to ask if anyone was doing a UDK DM. After I move into my new apartment next week, I'm going to sit down and seriously delve into the UDK. (So far I've given it cursory glances and followed some of the free 3D Buzz video tutorials.) I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes.