[Custom dungeon] Villain Pit [RTC] [Zed5Duke]

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Re: [RTC] Villain Pit

Post by Trantor »

Just to support Gambit a bit: I think we all agree that what Zed is doing with this amazing output of dungeons is great for the community, and there is no doubt that "some dungeon" is better than "no dungeon". We are merely giving constructive criticism, things we think can be done to improve the quality of dungeons. I don't know this particular worm problem from personal experience, but it sounds rather unlikely to do what Joramun did. A designer might not foresee every possible dead-end, but in my mind, he should acknowledge that an unintended dead-end that somebody finds is something he can improve upon.
That said, keep doing those dungeons Zed, you are doing a great thing for all of us! :)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yes, it is great to have so many dungeons.

But I'd take my time and build into one big one with more story, maybe new graphics. These 'level' counts sound impressive, but they are a tenth the size of an average level sometimes! I sometimes get no feel for what I am doing.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

After a very long time without my computer, I'm pleased to report I'm back at home and dungeon-delving again. I'm trying out this dungeon, and I'm afraid I'm stuck extremely early on. I've read the thread thus far, and it seems I wasn't the only one who had problems with the rotten bread thing. I have no idea how this is supposed to work. Beo made a comment saying something about "As long as the sound is on, you'll know".

Yeah, that doesn't really work for me; so can I please get a nudge in the right direction here? I see the key, but can't get it because I don't enjoy being deep-fried. I see no other place for me to heat my hands that will not immediately result in a fiery doom, either. Little help here, please?

Edit: Naturally, 5 seconds after posting this I figured it out. Yeah, I feel stupid. Let's hope this little trend of brain-farts doesn't continue.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome back to the world of head scratching puzzles :D
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

Thanks, beo. Having fun dancing with the demon right now, trying to avoid a face-smashing. Just running out of stamina so fast. But hey, at least I don't have any broken limbs! Yet, I mean. I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Sealtiel wrote:Beo made a comment saying something about "As long as the sound is on, you'll know". Yeah, that doesn't really work for me;
Ooops, I'm afraid that sound is helpful also in another part of the dungeon - not necessary, but helpful, as far as I remember. :( I hope you'll be able to finish it without problems. Anyway, welcome back, and enjoy the game! :D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

I finished the game just now. Short dungeon, but very satisfying. Looking back, I don't suppose there was much that was really "difficult" but the dungeon is pretty cruel; in the sense that pretty much any mistake will kill you. Reminds me of Shadowgate a lot, but obviously not quite as much as Dark Portal does.

So I was wondering, are all of Zed's dungeon similar to this? I like this style of dungeon, short but challenging. The only real complaint I could muster is some of the combat. Because your character starts off so weak, it takes forever to kill anything. You pretty much have to dance around them, since 1 hit will kill you. It's tricky to try to explain, but it almost feels like it's artificially increasing the difficulty by forcing you to just move in a circle around monsters for so long each time. Still, very nice dungeon.

Oh, and I never saw any hallucinations with the white mushrooms. I was promised hallucinations and I received none. I feel cheated.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The earlier ones have great puzzles but worse characters, so you will spend the start in the same predicament. The later ones are slightly more forgiving if you pick the right character. Nightkin is great if you can get passed the starting combats. Hell's Tavern is better balanced (though longer combats), missing the truly innovative puzzles but making up for it with a great atmosphere.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, congratulations, Sealtiel!

BW described it very well. Most of Zed's dungeons are in a similar style, so if you have no problem with the tough monsters at the beginning (one hit - death), and sometimes with deadly traps and even dead-ends (save often but cautiously), go ahead and play other Zed's dungeons! :) I can't recommend a particular one, since all of them are totally mixed in my head. :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, as long as you stagger your saves (which I must admit, I do all the time anyway) so you can restart if you save in a dead end, you shold find much enjoyment. The earlier dungeons have some fun new monsters too, as does Hell's Tavern