Jobs

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
T0Mi
Expert

Re: Jobs

Post by T0Mi »

@Maven: :shock: (and lots of them)

this is amazing...

you know, when you read what people post, you can't help but building an image of what these people 'are like'.
And I had quite a few "Doh!" moments in this thread already... my, I feel soooo stupid. :-) (where is that monkey smiley when you need it?)

And hey. I helped butchering a cow too. Ten years ago. And it was the day I decided to never ever touch a piece of meat again.
Well, people certainly are different. Thats why they are forever fighting. (And this is actually a quote from one of the wise-heads of the forum)

so...

this could be the idea/outcome for/of this thread:

Putting together what people have shared already and make a post. Therefore create a standard account and let everyone have the password who wishes to edit his part.
And as a note: it would not be about "10% off for everyone who loves DM", but both a business starting point for people with people you know at least from a forum as well as a good place to get advice (via PM most likely). *scratched head, feeling stupid again*
Maven
Apprentice

Post by Maven »

Gambit37 wrote:Awesome stuff Maven! :) Sounds like you really are living the rural dream (though of course I appreciate it's still bloody hard work.) It must be great to hear that rooster, though I guess it could become annoying every day ;-)
You know, in a lot of ways I am. And it is. The rooster hasn't become annoying to me yet, but the geese did. They did mow my lawn for me last summer, though. Then they pooped all over it.

There are times when I just feel like I'm living "high on the hog". When I get a nice peanut butter sandwich, with real chunky peanut butter and home-made strawberry jam on home-made honey wheat bread, and I get to wash it down with fresh milk that was 20% cream that I just stirred in, I feel like nobody gets it better than I do. Or when I come in from milking the cow and my daughter has made me a huge Belgian waffle with real butter and genuine whipped cream, topped with fresh strawberries that she just picked this morning. I never got that kind of treatment when I was a high-paid continent-hopping Engineer.
T0Mi wrote: And hey. I helped butchering a cow too. Ten years ago. And it was the day I decided to never ever touch a piece of meat again.
I understand completely. Frankly, cutting up animals is NOT my favorite part of farming. And I REALLY don't like actually killing them. The only part I really like about the animals is eating them. And truthfully I'd rather eat eggs and drink milk. But when you're the dad, there are a lot of things you end up doing that you don't like.

Besides which, being the min-maxing control freak that I am, I'm always calculating efficiencies in my mind when I'm out on the tractor. Cattle are SUCH an inefficient way to go. I have to grow acres of pasture to feed them, and more acres of hay to winter the darn things. You know how much vegetable food I could grow on that land? But hay is quite easy to grow, and pretty easy to harvest, and very easy to store. And I like having milk and cheese and butter and ice cream and sour cream and pudding and ranch dressing and such. I tried soy milk. If my wife hadn't had health issues with it, I might have sold all the animals and just grown soy beans. I'm still trying to figure out how my dad made "milk" out of alfalfa. I have also tried oat milk and sesame milk and almond milk. I really like the almond milk, but I can't grow almonds here very well, and they cost way too much for that to be a long term solution. So I'm stuck with milk cows for now. And when they get old and won't get pregnant any more I have to turn them into hamburger.

So ist das Leben.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, that last line kind of sums it all up!

Also:
I never got that kind of treatment when I was a high-paid continent-hopping Engineer.
^^^ This right here is where the world went wrong. I'm glad that you have redressed the balance. Maybe I should do the same...
Maven
Apprentice

Post by Maven »

Jan wrote:
Gambit37 wrote:I sometimes feel it would be better to become a farmer or something...
Me too. However, the modern "industrial" agriculture is more about mechanisation, chemisation, administration and subsidies. It's not that much about the earth itself and so on. I always wonder if, after the "western economies collapse" as you said, our farmers will (would) be able to produce anything. I guess that most of them no - you know, without their tractors, fertilisers, herbicides, computers, division of labour, F1 (generation one) seeds etc. most of them would actually be pretty lost, I think.
Well, there is some of that. But here's the deal. When you work 8 hours a day at something, you get REAAAALLY good at it. So I think this is true, that these farmers are really good at mechanisation, chemisation, administration, and subsidies.

However...

I have some neighbors who REAAALLY know how to grow stuff. The first year I was harvesting my hay, I was out there on my tractor watching the bailer pick up my little winrows of hay, listening to it pump the bales out the back ready for my boys to haul, and I was feeling pretty good about myself. But all I had to do was look over the fence at the field of my neighbor. His alfalfa was big and beautiful and much thicker than mine, his winrows were bigger and thicker and much straighter then mine, and his bales were huge and darker and dumped all in a perfectly aligned row for his hay hauler truck to pick up. All I could think was, "I'm SUCH a newb!" And I was. And I am.

Last year I grew my own potatoes. They're pretty easy to grow. And they're bigger and much more tasty than the ones I was used to buying in the store. But let me tell you, they were PUNY compared to the ones my neighbor two fields over grows. Now this guy really knows how to grow potatoes. He has been growing potatoes for decades. Heh. F1 Seeds? Maybe some crops, but not potatoes. You use last year's potatoes that were too small. You know what his main fertilizer is? Cow manure. He has a deal with the cattle rancher across the road. Anything HE doesn't use on his own hay fields can be used on the potato fields. I'm thinking even if economies collapse, my potato farmer neighbor will still be able to find plenty of cow poop. Maybe not enough to grow the semi-loads of potatoes he grows now, but anything he has a market for he'll find a way to grow. And you should see his wife's vegetable garden. My garden gets better every year, because I have no problem asking these guys for advice.

But that's not even the main point I'm going to make here. I have read some people's ideas of what it would be like if economies actually DID collapse. If fuel were not available and trucks quit running, they predict that transportation would come to a standstill. Store shelves would be empty within a couple of days, and people would be out of food within a week or so. Well, I'm not sure that's how things would happen at all. Economies have collapsed before. And what happened then?

People improvised, that's what. Gasoline is not the only thing that will combust. Not by a long shot. In war torn areas people modified their cars to run off what they could get. Methanol was a big one, but there have been cars that ran off coal. Or wood. Or rotten potatoes. Or chicken poop, for crying out loud. Oh yeah, you can make methane out of cow manure. It isn't even very hard. And it doesn't even seem to lessen its value as a fertilizer. I know where I could borrow an awful lot of cow manure. I don't think my neighbor would be without his tractor for very long.

The biggest problem around here would happen if the power went out. Most of the local farmers have converted their irrigation systems to sprinkler pivots. There are still some canals, and some fields are still floodable, and some more could be converted or converted back to flood irrigation. But there would be an awful lot that would have to find another answer. Maybe windmills on the pumps, but that would limit the pressure. There are very few useful crops that actually grow here without irrigation. But that's just here. Much of the world can grow lots of stuff without irrigation, so it's a local problem, however big it is.

I'm not a great believer in doomsday prophecies. I'm hoping the collapsing economies theory will not happen any time soon. But... if it does, I think farmers not being able to produce food would not be the biggest problem. Not even close.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Maven wrote: Nobody tells their kids to "Go write a program in PHP. It builds character."
Eh, not PHP. Maybe Perl, though. Or C, without any ++ or # or other fancy stuff.

How about disassembling machine code, like Paul S and Bit have done? That has to count as building character. :D
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

What about coding a character editor? Does it count to building character?

I'd really glad to have this variety - and quality - of horizons in this forum. TOMi, would you elaborate on your "Friendly society" idea?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Zyx wrote:What about coding a character editor? Does it count to building character?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yl3UMO-TkE
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Sophia wrote:
Maven wrote: Nobody tells their kids to "Go write a program in PHP. It builds character."
Eh, not PHP. Maybe Perl, though. Or C, without any ++ or # or other fancy stuff.

How about disassembling machine code, like Paul S and Bit have done? That has to count as building character. :D
Nah, that's just rebuilding characters...
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Zyx wrote:TOMi, would you elaborate on your "Friendly society" idea?
I'm working. It's a bit difficult, not sure if I'll manage.

Until then you will hear soft elevator music and watch this video on how rural agriculture work and coders in cubicles (their natural enviroment) can go side by side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPqurPwaK10
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I must say that I have always admired people (like Maven), who were able to abandon their urban live and modern hi-tech job, and moved to a countryside, where they work with their own hands in a small-scale agriculture.

As many others, I've also thought of doing the same thing for many times. I'm tired of busy urban life and work that's more or less useless from a long-term perspective. My job gives me some satisfaction, I'm happy when I see my students evolving and making progress, but for most of the time, I feel really useless and not satisfied. I sense that if I want to change my life dramatically, I have to do it as soon as possible, when I'm still young.

Currently, I have two ideas in my mind:
- we have some agricultural land (about 20 hectares in total plus some woodland), we're leasing it to a huge agricultural company, so I'm thinking of taking it back from the company and starting my own business - of course not on a full-scale and on a market-scale, but rather as a part-time job together with some computer job done from my home. I have some experiences with farming, and both my parents are agriculture engineers, so I think it would be possible, although it wouldn't be easy
- I have contacts with some people in several valleys in Montenegro, who want to move out to the West and start a modern living (poor them :) ), so I've been thinking of buying a sheep farm in the mountains there (it's relatively cheap) and moving there - plus continuing some of my research and other computer activities via internet

But I'm still undecided. Maybe it would be a too big change for me.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

(my advice for you Jan: stay where you are. Man, you're a teacher! You really have some powers. People learn from you, not only the stuff you teach, but also what you have to say, the way you say it, the way you teach. You can help them finding their place in this world. People in their early twenties suck up things like sponges, and judging from the young engineers I know, some of them didn't have proper teachers and thus only have a vague idea of what the world outside of engineering is about. Teach them! I envy you for having this oppertunity!)

I do know both sides. Engineering and farming. My farmer is now 70+ years old, and there are still depts on the farm. None of his kids will continue his work, as it simply doesn't pay. He has 40 cows. The average number of (milk)cows to survive as a farmer around here is 150. If he retires (meaning he will fall off his tractor dead), the farm will die too. And then... whats left of all the work, he has done throughout his life?

Imagine you'd be working for some really huge company, doing little more than playing your part of being a tiny gear withhin this giant machinery. This can be highly frustrating, believe me. All that will be left when I'm gone will be some ducts, vents and cowls that have been thoroughly pressure drop optimized and used in cars only a fracture of people can afford. We measure our success in mg CO2 saved. Milligramms...

[crap talk deleted, sorry...]
Maven
Apprentice

Post by Maven »

Jan, I think I might agree with T0Mi on this one. In principle at least, if not in practice. However, there are issues I don't know about that would make a huge difference how much you can do. Here in the United States, teachers in the public school system are seriously limited what they can teach, how they can teach, and what kinds of discipline they can use. I would not be able to be effective in any such environment. However, I have been a substitute teacher in a small private school not too far from here, and I think I could do that.

I think the biggest difference is that the students in public school are there to go to school and to graduate. Many of them don't care whether they learn anything or not. The kids in the private school pay good money to learn stuff, and don't want to waste their time. Teaching people who actually want to learn is great.

I'm not certified here to teach anyone other than my own children, but I guess all dads do a fair amount of that. Public school leaves a lot of holes in their education that you can fill if you're willing to spend the time and work. Hmmm, now that I think of it I have taught an awful lot of people an awful lot of stuff I wasn't certified to teach. Last Summer I went to scout camp and taught 20 scouts about Astronomy. I've never even owned a telescope or had an Astronomy class, but I read some stuff and went to a couple of star parties and every August during the Perseid meteor shower I lay out on the trampoline with my kids and we watch for meteors. I got a star chart and I can point out about 20 constellations and about 20 named stars. That's so much more than most of these kids can do that they think I'm an expert. Sometimes it doesn't take much.

Here's an abrupt subject change, but have you looked into Happiness Science? Apparently there are some small things you can do to increase effective Serotonin levels and such. Everybody knows about diet and exercise and doing things you enjoy once in a while, but some effective things that may not be so well known are like meditation, thanking and forgiving, and getting "in the zone". It's fascinating.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Thanks for your advices, guys, it's really important for me.

I should explain it - I'm a university "teacher" (or lecturer), and it's on the best Czech University (Charles University in Prague - the oldest university "to the north of the Alps and to the west from the Rhine", founded in 1348), so most of the students are really good and most of them really want to be educated (although, of course, not all of them, lol).

Actually, having "the power" to influence young people (as Tomi said) is the thing that sometimes scares me. Of course, I'm trying to be objective, to offer more opinions on everything, I try to give the students questions, not answers, I try to support them in thinking and making their own opinions, I try not to impose "the truth" or my opinions on them, but still... it sometimes scares me that everything I say and do can influence them and it might influence them in a wrong way. But that's the job. You must permanently watch and control yourself, you must look on yourself "from the outside". You're always balancing on the edge of the knife. And, thinking about it - yeah - I like it. :) I always say to myself - "OK, 50 % of the students in this class are probably more intelligent and capable than me." And, as the first Czechoslovak president (Masaryk) said, "always respect the the child's soul" (OK, the "student's soul" in that case).
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Dammit, so many interesting threads, so little time. I'd love to hear more wise words from all of you guys. (Happyness Science!)

The "da_list" or "friendly society idea" needs to be finished, if I got right what Zyx meant (which I usually don't). Some PMs wait for answers and I still havn't done that remote desktop video correctly or in a way not outgermaning myself. :oops:

The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

... back to work. *sigh*
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

T0Mi wrote:... back to work. *sigh*
So you're also working more to get the lazy Greeks out of the mess, huh? :roll:
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

na, not greek, russian. ;-) And the mess has been a control unit, perfectly designed and painstakingly grounded... which then doesn't help at all if the shroud of the USB plug comes in touch with the aluminium casing. Then of course looking for a plastic bit to ensure the isolation, realizing, any standard one won't fit into the existing milling groove. As usual the available data was tesselated, so before starting to redesign the casing lots of converting was needed... and so on, and so on. However, I'm finished now, just some docu left and then hopefully get awully drunk tonight. :-P