[RTC] Tower of Champions HINTS & HELP *SPOILERS*

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: [RTC] Tower of Champions HINTS & HELP *SPOILERS*

Post by beowuuf »

Rain: do it in the right place (have you looked up?)

The mosoleum: The two scrolls and flask give you the clue how to open the door.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Still can't find the sewer treasure room! Could you give directions?!
lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

PaulH wrote:Still can't find the sewer treasure room! Could you give directions?!
Spoiler
Try climbing down a ladder and then pushing the button to make the ladder go back up, then look around and see if things have changed.
If that doesn't help you could
Spoiler
try it for ladder N1 and look around the room.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Cheers Beo, it was actually activating the rain that was the problem, I thought I had tried it before but got it wokring anyway. It seems you would be able to complete the priest guild without the Kohran after all. But its the Mages guild that still has me stumped, I can't open the door next to the tech eye that says "I won't allow you to pass". Casting a ZO spell on the door seems like the obvious answer but that didn't work. Also some other questions:

1. Is it possible to get the solid key from the thieves guild without setting off the alarm and losing a priest level?

2. The master thief lock in the thieves guild, do you need to be a master thief (ninja)? I've been punch everything to death to level up but am only adept thief (ninja) so far.

3. Hieronymous' ghost, are you supposed to be able to help him?

4. Also in Hieronymous' house there is pit I can't close with the word 'magic' next to it that leads to some stairs, and there is also a RA door at the bottom of his house I can't open.

5. Not sure what I am supposed to do with the heavy key in the warriors guild, I've taken it to the shame pit but I can't figure out what to do with it to get the treasure.

6. Near the start in the room where the mace of albion is, there is a door I can't open.

7. In the priests guild, I'm pretty sure I found the teleporter pad to the guild masters' hall but I can't activate it. The others in the other guilds they worked when I walked on them.

8. In the graveyard in one of the tombs there is a powerful floating skeleton I can't kill and another door I can't open.

So the main point I need help with is the mages guild but any hints for anything else would be appreciated!

The sounds from Gods are awesome by the way, that was a great game.
lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

Antman wrote:Cheers Beo, it was actually activating the rain that was the problem, I thought I had tried it before but got it wokring anyway. It seems you would be able to complete the priest guild without the Kohran after all. But its the Mages guild that still has me stumped, I can't open the door next to the tech eye that says "I won't allow you to pass". Casting a ZO spell on the door seems like the obvious answer but that didn't work. Also some other questions:
You do not use magic to get past this part. Try using some of the items found in the beginning of the guild,
Spoiler
like in the monsters for experiments section.
1. Is it possible to get the solid key from the thieves guild without setting off the alarm and losing a priest level?
Yes,
Spoiler
but you have to be sneaky.
2. The master thief lock in the thieves guild, do you need to be a master thief (ninja)? I've been punch everything to death to level up but am only adept thief (ninja) so far.
Spoiler
I believe that you do need to be one, I could not open this lock until much later in the game.
4. Also in Hieronymous' house there is pit I can't close with the word 'magic' next to it that leads to some stairs, and there is also a RA door at the bottom of his house I can't open.
As your magic level get higher (I believe) you will be able to read the rest of the sign. You cannot open the door where you are at.
5. Not sure what I am supposed to do with the heavy key in the warriors guild, I've taken it to the shame pit but I can't figure out what to do with it to get the treasure.
This one is pretty tricky,
Spoiler
you need to have the treasure chest appear both in the shame pit room and where you got the heavy key from.
6. Near the start in the room where the mace of albion is, there is a door I can't open.
It is opened from the other side.
7. In the priests guild, I'm pretty sure I found the teleporter pad to the guild masters' hall but I can't activate it. The others in the other guilds they worked when I walked on them.
I believe that this is because your priest level is not high enough yet.
8. In the graveyard in one of the tombs there is a powerful floating skeleton I can't kill and another door I can't open.
Spoiler
You need to be further along in the game to do this.
Good luck.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

It seems you would be able to complete the priest guild without the Kohran after all
Antman, I think it's impossible:
Spoiler
the crypt door opens only solving the puzzle
DM_Player, you are right, the levels are 18. The great hall is inaccessible: it's a copy of the moving pad room (guild of thieves), there is the control system (imps and triggers)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I seem to be getting through all the secrets! All the treasure rooms now done, and the Junius chamber. Got a few gor coins to find - and the 1st riddle in the circle riddle?
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Of course you're right Adamski, I had forgotten that...

Thanks for the hints, Ibk :)

A lot of the sound effects in this dungeon are from Gods, the old amiga game by Bitmap Brothers, right?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yep!
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

I'm pretty stumped right now. I went down into the ghost cellar as soon as I got into the tower, and got trapped. Try as I might, I simply cannot find a way to continue on. I've gotten down to the sewers & killed the EOTB2 gelatinous cubes, got the vorpal blade, found the mines, and killed the phantom that loves to blow my face off with iceball spells; but now I'm just stuck. The only ways I see that could possibly lead anywhere would be either behind the black flames (which I think are unkillable. I did well over 800 damage to one with the vorpal blade and then spammed at least 100 EE level DesEw spells and it still won't die), and the iron door behind the puzzle with the switches in the sewers. Meaning the one where you had to press all the buttons to open the last grate door, then the hallway leads to an iron door that I can't open.

Can I get a little nudge in the right direction, please? My head is hurting from trying to think of more things to do.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

There are 4 flood control gates to open, with onyx keys. There is an illusion wall near a teleporter in the sewer.

Have you done the phantom key puzzle?
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

Yeah, I found that illusion wall; there wasn't a whole lot going on down the ladder except for that gargoyle creature. That was one of the keys I found.

To be honest, it's hard to answer if I've done the phantom key puzzle or not. I still have the key, and I've used it at every lock available for it; even the one that randomly disappears. I also found a hallway that ended in a tiny room that had a big rat in it, and a place to put a fuse in; but I have no fuse. I have a cog, but no fuse.

Edit: Just found a 3rd onyx key behind a wall & 2 gold locks. Used it to get to the "water pressure" section and now that's my new plight. Well, that and the fact that my water bar just dropped to the yellow and I have none to fix that with. Hope I get out of this section soon. It's driving me crazy.

Edit#2: Yep, I figured it out. I now have a way back out of the tower, and I can also get back to the tower proper. Feeling pretty good right now. I'm just getting started in the wax museum. This place is creepy.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Antman, I used sound effects from Gods (2 or 3), Lands of Lore, Hexen and other games.
Paul, the riddles of the Big Circle don't have an order, whichever can be the first.
Nomead
Neophyte

Post by Nomead »

I'm so stuck in the tower right now Ò.ó! Adamski you keep outsmarting me with that mask of yours!

can someone tell me what to do in the sewers so i can get out of there i'm so low on food that i can't look around anymore >.>.
Nomead
Neophyte

Post by Nomead »

Sealtiel wrote:I'm pretty stumped right now. I went down into the ghost cellar as soon as I got into the tower, and got trapped. Try as I might, I simply cannot find a way to continue on. I've gotten down to the sewers & killed the EOTB2 gelatinous cubes, got the vorpal blade, found the mines, and killed the phantom that loves to blow my face off with iceball spells; but now I'm just stuck. The only ways I see that could possibly lead anywhere would be either behind the black flames (which I think are unkillable. I did well over 800 damage to one with the vorpal blade and then spammed at least 100 EE level DesEw spells and it still won't die), and the iron door behind the puzzle with the switches in the sewers. Meaning the one where you had to press all the buttons to open the last grate door, then the hallway leads to an iron door that I can't open.

Can I get a little nudge in the right direction, please? My head is hurting from trying to think of more things to do.
Spoiler
if you see the Trapped! wall at the start you should read some off the scrolls. then think of a special place where that would lead you to. that will lead you back to the tower
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

The armored man in the wax museum is a real head-scratcher, adamski. The scroll hints at a trap, but I'm having a lot of trouble luring him through the door near where his little alcove is. He may not be able to leave at all, I'm really not sure. I tried bringing a trap to him & putting it on the wall, but it ran out of arrows and it's still not dead.

Am I completely on the wrong track here? Because I'm not seeing much else I can do. Also, the wax museum is seriously creepy. I mean that in a good way. The same way that I was creeped out back in original DM at the "I don't like to be ignored" message. Good times.
lbk
Craftsman

Post by lbk »

Sealtiel wrote:The armored man in the wax museum is a real head-scratcher, adamski. The scroll hints at a trap, but I'm having a lot of trouble luring him through the door near where his little alcove is. He may not be able to leave at all, I'm really not sure. I tried bringing a trap to him & putting it on the wall, but it ran out of arrows and it's still not dead.
Spoiler
Right idea, wrong 'trap'.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

I really, really should have seen that coming. As soon as I read what you said, it hit me. Thanks for the hint. Now I just have to figure out which door to use that key on. I think I've seen 2. The clock level has me really intrigued, so I think I'll head over that way.

Edit: Yeah, looks like that's not an option. So, to the rest of the wax museum; exactly where I didn't want to go. This stupid waxman is blocking the door and now I can't get back into his section, and he also won't go through the door. I just had a good scare, though. Was too busy staring in horror at the mind flayer, then turned around & there's Xanathar right in front of me. First time in quite a while that something actually made me jump. :D
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

I'm not sure I understand how this is supposed to work. I figured out what each of the time circles wanted via the scrolls listed in the timetable, and I got they key from that; and thus the time stop.

But I still can't do anything to the timedemon. Lord Grey just kinda stands there with a stupid look on his face and won't do anything at all. I've brought him everything I can think of to match the descriptions listed in the scroll, but I get no response. I don't see how it's possible that I would have the wrong items, so can anybody please explain how exactly I'm supposed to hand them over to this moron so he'll do something with them?

Also, I absolutely have no idea what to do with the door by the mirror ghost in the clock tower. There's a door by him, with a lever next to it; then a teleporter that doesn't teleport me anywhere. I see no hint regarding this little section. Is it intended for later?
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

I've brought him everything I can think of to match the descriptions listed in the scroll
Have you explored
Spoiler
the corridor with the electric field?
There is the answer to your question.
Spoiler
Remember that the hourglass can be used many times.
I absolutely have no idea what to do with the door by the mirror ghost
This puzzle is explained in a scroll. It's
Spoiler
an action you must do in a particular time.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

Actually, I've gotten everything possible from the electric field corridor; and I've done everything possible with them. I've worn the entire set from a chest when I approached Lord Grey. I've tried putting each of the items in my hands as I approach him, I've handed them to him. I've thrown them at him, set them on the ground in front of him, tried bringing all of it while it's both still in the chest and out of the chests; I mean literally everything I can think of. Is there some sort of activity that lets me know that he does something aside from just say "Welcome Heroes" every time I get near him?

Oh, and I did figure out the mirror ghost door. But I let too many days elapse, I guess. Was there any indication that there were penalties for taking too long? Because I didn't find any at all.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Was there any indication that there were penalties for taking too long?
No, there is not. But you have lost
Spoiler
only a helm, nothing important.
I've worn the entire set from a chest when I approached Lord Grey
You need also
Spoiler
two weapons: look in the area with 2 pits that open and close randomly.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

Admittedly, that was my mistake. I had what I needed from beyond those 2 pits, and I could've sworn I'd done that already; but I suppose not. Regardless, I guess it's time to move on now. I just need to find where I'm moving to first. There's a few areas that I'm pretty sure I'm not done with just yet, and a few of the treasure areas are really just beyond me. The "red light, green light" in particular. I have a feeling it's too late to get that one, though.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Ignore "red light, green light", it's the name of the game where the players move only when you aren't looking at them, like the monsters do in this area.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

I think I need a little advice with the room I'm in. I just got past the "perfect symmetry" rooms, and I'm done with those. So then I move on to the next area and there's a room with 3 light bombs, some pits & floor switches; and a door I can't open. I have a map of the room, but no idea what I'm supposed to do here or what's going on.

If I knew the objective here, I could continue but I'm pretty clueless. Did I miss a hint somewhere?

Edit: I've moved past this room into the other one just like it, except completely pitch black. This room is brutal, and again I'm not real sure what I should be doing. Not that it matters much, I can't figure out where I'm going anyways.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

again I'm not real sure what I should be doing
Spoiler
The same of the other room, this time completely in the dark. The rooms are identical, all the objects (plates, switches, pits) and the items have the same symmetric position, as mirror images.
Sealtiel
Craftsman

Post by Sealtiel »

I figured as much, I'm just having a monster of a time trying to get over the pit that seems to open & close randomly. Keeps dropping me back down since I can't tell when it's opened or closed. I've used up all my light bombs trying to see, which didn't quite yield the results I wanted. I hope I don't need those later.
alfonzo glecko
Apprentice

Post by alfonzo glecko »

as usual, walk 3 feet take 2 or three days to solve a riddle, then take t
2 or 3 steps, then take 2 or 3 days to solve a riddle , then taks 2 steps then take a week to solve a riddle, then take 2 steps, then give up. then solve a riddle then take 2 steps , then get stuck then turn around then get stuck, then turn around and get stuck, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc, familiar??? I never get a feel of any kind of pace. Just too many obscure riddles. No attention to the pace of the game. Anyone who can finish this game in hours,without hints is a genius. What are you doing here? Mensa is looking for you. I will try to list the many turns at which I am completely stuck.
1. the Zo pits. I end up in the master hall???????????????????????
2. theroom next to the zo pits with several floor plates that do not work with zo.
3. The room next door with the screamer +/- . where is this cage?
4. The floor below, can't open the spell doors near the schrolls or at the other end of the room,
5. I can't find the Ew rune or the Bro rune. do have the ir rune in the lab
6. the door near the fireplace with the golem behind
7. that's enough. Every other place I am stuck. The graveyard with the spirit that seems indestructible
I only have 2 clan pcs.
Where is korahn? who is the grey guy near the warrior guild/ Is he supposed to follow me?
Heronymous house. the pit blocking the stairs. The spirit that keeps asking if I know who killed him. Who? heronymous?
the rainstaff, the seeds//
The tec eye
the magnifying glass
invisibility, what good is that? the monsters always see you anyway.
Is there a grappling hook?
Oh yeah, The ruby key
etc
etc
etc
etc
I am going on my 3rd day without anything changing. One deadend after another.Obscure clues if any. I am frustrated. Throw me a lifeline. please

EDIT ***********************************
I have the screamer in the cage. What do I do with him. Am I supposed to release him? What about the golem right near them? I can drop him then descend and destroy him. I can then get to the Zo pits. When I cast zo and chase the open and closed pits I can stop at the end before entering the master hall. I can send a zo spell back and the pits close again I am confused what to try. The pits on this level with the picture of the chest. What are they for? stuck
Last edited by alfonzo glecko on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Alfonzo, it's no difficult imagine why the clues are so obscure. If I had written them in Italian they would have been clearer. I'll try to answer your questions.

2. indeed they don't work with the ZO spell
Spoiler
near the 4 screamers trapped between a door and a pit
4. do you mean the ra doors?
5. inside the tower
6. where? in the laboratory?
who is the grey guy near the warrior guild
a grey guy near the warriors guild? I don't know

korahn:
Spoiler
in his grave
the invisibility is strange in RTC and doest't work with the monster; in ToC there is only a monster which doesn't see the invisible party, but it's due to a new mechanics
the grapple is near the end of the game
the other things are not important to finish the game

ask me in pm for more details and new questions
Adamski
On Master

Post by Adamski »

Sealtiel, the pit has a different sound when it closes and opens, Also without seeing it you can know if it's closed.