Reseting counters?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Reseting counters?

Post by Saumun »

Is it possible to reset a single counter or is it a universal thing?

What is the counter value when you start editing a new dungeon?

Perhaps i should explain my problem.
On the first three levels of my new dungeon, i have used counters in various sections. Whatever counter value i have assigned has worked fine (eg... 2 keys to open 1 door). On level 4, i created a small timed puzzle which in order to make work, i set an ACTION wall item to set the counter to 4. The problem now is that on the next level, there is a part that requires three coins to open a door. The counter now seems to be set to 4 everywhere, unless i change it with another ACTION wall item.

Do i have to use one every time i want to use a counter from here on in? Or can i return the counter to the state it was at the beginning of the dungeon (whatever that is)?

I don't really want to have to use the ACTION wall item every time i use a counter as i think it will get a bit messy.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Reseting counters?

Post by beowuuf »

Good to see you are still around making dungeons :)

I have the feeling there is a way to change a specific counter to a value... or this is even the default value. Can you clone the counter so you can set it separately of all normal counter objects?

It might be a bug... LB seems to have done alot recently with RTC, though he has interenet sharing fun. Perhaps he can shed a little more light...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I guess you've cloned a counter to be able to target it using an ACTION?

If so, this is your problem. You've probably used another copy of that cloned counter elsewhere in the dungeon. The problem is that ACTIONS affect EVERY INSTANCE of an item -- so if you have four copies of MY_COUNTER in the dungeon, they will ALL update when the ACTION is fired.

Just make sure you use the original non-cloned counter for normal mechanics -- this ensures you create a unique new counter each time. Only use cloned items for SPECIFIC, UNIQUE mechanics.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Thanks for the replies.....

Gambit..... You have hit upon the very nub of my problem, although i have not cloned a counter because i didn't know i could.

How do i create a local counter?

Basically, i want a counter which will act upon a very small specific puzzle, but will not affect the rest of the dungeon.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

All counters are "local". They should never affect anything else, unless you specifically set it up that way. Check all your targets -- perhaps you are pointing the wrong triggers to the wrong counters?

Really confused now, I don't see how you've got this problem without cloning?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I believe he's targetted the base class of counter, not a cloned counter

Sauman, you should be able to go find the 'counter' object in the new/clone menu. It won't allow you to edit, but it will allow you to clone the 'counter' type object to create a new (and identical) type of counter called whatever you like.

Therefore, you can have your wallitem_action target only that type of counter (of which you will only place one instance) and hence leave every other counter alone.

That should solve your problem, if I have understood it correctly!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah, right, of course that makes sense. I've got so used to only using ACTIONS on cloned items that I forgot you can also target the base objects!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

My mistake. As you rightly say, i meant i wanted the ACTION to target only one specific counter.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Many thanks for the tips guys..... I'm back on track now.

As suggested, i made an identical counter under a different name and targeted that.

Cheers....