St.Patricks day

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Re: St.Patricks day

Post by cowsmanaut »

not much chance you'll be having them in salad then.. unless you REALLY wash them :P

edit: topic split to the new gardening thread after this point
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

I attempted to celebrate St George's day yesterday by putting up a picture of Geogie's cross in the rear window of my crew cab Ford Transit Tipper but my supervisor told me to take it down because apparently some people don't take kindly to us showing our patriotism. Whats the big deal??? Muslims are free to show thier's! Except for in France..... Who said they diddn't like the French? That took some guts! Does everyone agree with thier decision?

Anyway i'm thinking that maybe next year I'll look for a good children's book about George and the Dragon to read to my daughter or maybe an adult one for myself. Any suggestions?
Revolutionary Greetings!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'm guessing you live in England. Erm...what's wrong with putting up an England flag in your own country? I see them quite often in various places - in house windows, on cars...there's a statue near the station of a man pointing, which is often...erm.."decorated" with a traffic cone on his head. Actually, about a week ago he had two - one on his head and another one over his pointing hand. But the other day he had an England flag somehow attached to his pointy-hand (as well as the obligatory traffic-cone hat, of course :D).
Some people are weird ;).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

If Dayday lives in England, then it would be one of the strangest things, and also one of the most silly results of the (post)modern political corectness. :|

Can you give us more details, Dayday?
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

And apart from anything else, as far as I'm aware, St. George himself wasn't even English - he was some kind of Turkish knight/soldier/thingy.
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

According to Wikipedia, he was Roman, born in Iudea. :wink:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh okay then...I knew he was definitely not English. I wonder how many people know that, though...
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I never heard of someone being told that they could not put up a flag in their own car, that is a bit crazy. I don't see how anyone would take offence at that.

I always heard that St. George was from Turkey, don't know though. Some village in Turkey claims he was born there at least (probably there are a hundred different villages all over Turkey/Judea that make the same claim).

As for a story book, I cannot recommend any but I found this one on the web!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

dayday2008 wrote:I attempted to celebrate St George's day yesterday by putting up a picture of Geogie's cross in the rear window of my crew cab Ford Transit Tipper but my supervisor told me to take it down
Is your supervisor English? (IE, born in England regardless of race, colour, religion, etc.) Were you putting the flag in a work vehicle or your own vehicle?
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

Cool info! thanks guys :) I think i'll check at my local library for literature about St. George and his origins and see what i can find. I dont really know anything about him other than that he was a knight. Last year i read a book about the Knights of Malta and thier battle against the Ottomans, it was very interesting, i reccomend to all! :P

As for my flag experience, I'm English, i live in the North East of England and i work for my local authority's grounds maintenance. I believe that some people frown upon such behaviour from thier local council. My supervisor is English from the same region and he kindly asked me to take the flag down, because of complaints in the past, as he would be the one who gets a phonecall from the managers to tell him off!
Revolutionary Greetings!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Umm...an English person, in England, putting up an English flag is bad? Wtf?
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@dayday: Who complained in the past?

Anyway, I hope you stood your ground and insisted on keeping the flag up. Mealy-mouthed petty political correctness should not be allowed to prevent you from celebrating the day of our patron saint. If it had been me, I'd have taken it as far as I could. At the risk of sounding like a right right wing Daily Mail reader (I'm not), It's that kind of crap that is destroying the soul of this country.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Gambit37 wrote:@dayday: Who complained in the past?
A Scot, perhaps? :roll:

Anyway, I totally agree with Gambit. I'm no nationalist, I don't remember displaying the Czech flag in my life anywhere, but that's simply a freedom of expression, and I always thought this freedom is somehow very important in the UK, so this case kind of surprised me a lot.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

St. George's cross offended him? Or at least, he thought it would seem obnoxious to someone...and in your own car?

That cross, unless it impedes one's ability to see the road, has no negative connotation of which I know.
And it doesn't look anything like a christian cross, so what meds did he miss?

I believe the guy might need some glasses...

...and then a head to put them on. :roll:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh I think he does have a head, but from the sound of things it's shaped rather like something usually found lower down on the (male) body ;).
Keep the bloody flag up and ignore the moody tosser :D. If he tells you off again, get him to give you some kind of legalistic proof that you're officially not allowed to put it up :twisted:.
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Ameena wrote:it's shaped rather like something usually found lower down on the (male) body ;).
You mean a smelling sock, I presume? :roll: