Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Re: Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Post by Christopher »

Okay, so I started a new game in order to get information on the location of unique items so I can update the wiki page since a lot of them are either missing or still listed in the possession of guild members. However, I ran into a problem with the vexirk that drops about six plasmas. One of the plasmas, once picked up, I can't put down anywhere. Tried putting it in the alcove like the scroll mentioned and I already opened up the door in there using a different plasma so I can't dispose of it there either. Any ideas on what to do?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

After losing a party member, you should explore the Death level. You may need an object linked to the soul. I think I put a hint somewhere but I can't remember where or what is was.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

The sticky one. Keep looking at it for more information and cast a spell.
Troggy
Apprentice

Post by Troggy »

Christopher, I ran into the same problem. I just put the sticky one in the zokathra lock in that room though, to activate the door.
Oh, and I will try to find out about the Death level, even just so that other people can figure it out.

Also, the curse of the Darc armor is somewhat nasty, but definitely doable. I have Iaido wearing all of the Darc armor, except for the shield and the poleyns, and wearing the Coral poleyn so that he regens the hp damage caused by the curse. Lor is wearing the poleyns, but since he has about 950 hp and over 100 vitality, the constant 1 to 4 points of damage is countered by his regen rate.

Just so that other people will know, unleashing the effect of the full Dragon armor is
Spoiler
a fireball in each direction, of a strength equal to that of the unleashing spell. For instance, if I cast Mon Ful Bro Sar, 4 Mon-level fireballs would fly away from me. So, that spell is powerful, but hard to use, as it is very easy to nuke yourself with the fireballs.
Obviously the Darc armor cannot be unleashed, as it prevents casting spells.

I cannot cast the spell for the Lyte armor for some reason, as it states that "The armor set is not complete", even though I am wearing the helm, the plate, the poleyns, the greaves and the shield. Is there some other piece that I am not aware of?

Just found out that you need a Hellion to regain a character from Death. However, it used up my Hellion when I clicked on the picture to resurrect Gothmog. Just wondering, are you only supposed to be able to get a character back twice? I only know of two Hellions.

If anybody wanted to know how to get at the ring in the storage cellar that Iaido wanted, behind the door with the dragons on it,
Spoiler
you just have to turn left in the doorway, and click on the opening for the door.
Last edited by Troggy on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

can you send me a savegame with the complete set? Also, why don't you edit your post instead of replying to yourself again and again?
You may want to put your hints on the wiki instead of here, by the way.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

@ Troggy: I don't remember all the Hellion locations or how many there are (I seem to recall you mentioning the fear drop and clearing out Hell) but I do remember the one you get from the Nightmare. I don't know if you can get more than one if you have more nightmares.

@ Zyx: If I picked a different character than Iaido, would I end up getting a hint as to how to open up the pits in the sewers leading to the forge and other places in the mines? I haven't found a way yet. I also didn't notice anything unusual about the sticky plasma. If it is special, I was too low a level at the time to see any unique features. Tried casting a few different spells too but nothing happened. Ended up reloading a save before picking it up.

Oh yeah, forgot to ask, is there a spell or something that makes the
Spoiler
Talk action from the Rope work when standing infront of those statue figures? I was hoping they could give me a hint as to how I can get in the forge.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Basing on heavily modified ASCII dump file I made "plain" maps for Conflux (I think that was 3.0 version - I`m not sure). I made them mostly for myself, but thought that can be used by others, too. The idea was that the player gets completely plain, binary (0/1) maps, print them and mark by a pen&paper whatever he wants to. So - basically - he`s making a map on a given basement by himself and for himself, so it`s up to him what - and how - will he mark on the map this way. On a map there are only full (wall) and empty (floor) tiles and nothing more. Floors, teleporters, stairs, doors, pits etc. are shown as "empty" tiles, while walls are shown as "full". Fake walls are shown as regular walls of course. This is to avoid spoilers.
I printed 20 of first levels on a paper and marking important and significant points/traps/areas by pen, so that I don`t have to spend years trying to find the door I want to (like I often did without maps), and - from the other side - there`s absolutely no spoilers on the areas I`ve never been before (this is good for me). I wanted to mark up- and down- stairs, but decided to leave the map as it is. Stairs can also be a spoiler in some situations.
I made it in ESB just because it looks good in Sophia`s editor ;) The order of levels in ESB was a bit shifted up to level 12, but I made a correction in the bitmap file. While I was making the maps from ASCII file tile-by-tile manually (truly horrible work - it took me days to finish them), I didn`t have an idea which areas/levels are accessible/playable, and which are not. Some are only for "engineering" purposes. I did them manually by reading ASCII dump file and marking tiles on ESB, so there might be some minor errors. Not to mention the changes Zyx eventually done in the later versions. But it still might be usable.
If somebody wants, I can send them to him. Or I can upload them to the wiki section of Conflux, but the decision belongs to Zyx, forum users, admins, and Conflux players.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Troggy
Apprentice

Post by Troggy »

I was just wondering if anybody had found the answer to the "Earth is my lord, the sea is my vassal" puzzle in Moria.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Troggy wrote:I was just wondering if anybody had found the answer to the "Earth is my lord, the sea is my vassal" puzzle in Moria.
The item you are looking for is located somewhere in Moria, I believe in an alcove. If you just want the answer:
Spoiler
Moonstone necklace
Troggy
Apprentice

Post by Troggy »

Got it, now I have a passage between Moria and the Ecce Draco area. Thanks!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I'll lower the information needed to examine the sticky plasma. There is currently no hint to open the pits, but I'll put on.
The talk action is currently useless for statues but it's a placeholder for future versions. This action is still under development.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

if anybody wants to check it out, it`s here: http://www.mypicx.com/09172010/Conflux3/
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Quellar 2
Novice

Post by Quellar 2 »

just wanted to add, that Adamos Maps are great!
For people who don't like maps with comments, because it would spoil to much to them, but who really don't have the time to map from scratch a game as huge as Conflux, "blanc" maps are a great thing to use. Also they don't need Google Chrome and you don't have to be online, to use them. I think (combined with the password-protected maps for things one may have missed) they are a fine addition for many people.
Thanks again Adamo!
Troggy
Apprentice

Post by Troggy »

I was wondering, does anybody know what the full set of the Lyte armor is intended to do? I just wanted to know, as it doesn't work for me in B4.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Troggy, send me a savegame. I'll fix it and you'll know by yourself.
Troggy
Apprentice

Post by Troggy »

The effect of the Lyte armor is to
Spoiler
heal all the party an amount equal to a healing potion of the same level as the spell. So, at 78 mana for a max level spell as opposed to 44 mana for a max-level healing potion, this spell can be more efficient than potions. Also, it can be cast faster than a potion, as you must have a person actually drink it.
The following guide is intended to help new players find the Dragon and Lyte armors, so I have included a lot of detail to help. Many Conflux vets would just say that something is in the Oracle area in the Emerald level, and many new players would immediately be confused.

Locations for the Lyte and Dragon armors:

Dragon helm -- the Oracle area in the Emerald level
Spoiler
Once you have beaten the Guardian (the invisible golem) in the Emerald level, there will be a T junction with pits on the left. You will need 4 emerald keys to get past the pits. Once you are past that, go down the hallway that leads to the Apprentice area, but do not actually go in there. There will be a larger room with many bookcases, and cloaks in the alcoves. One of these will be a Cloak of Night (just fyi). In this room will be a set of stairs up, behind an emerald door. Go up those, and kill the Vexkirk there. It will drop the dragon helm. If you need help to find this, look at the map of the Emerald area. Of course, you have to find the scroll first.
Dragon plate -- Smaug, in the bottom of Moria
Spoiler
The easiest way to find the way to Smaug is to use this password from a scroll that you find somewhere in Moria to unlock the map. Look at the map of level four. You will see a set of four stairways on the left side. Navigate your way to there, and take the west staircase. In there will be Smaug, just kill him to gain the plate. The easiest, safest way to deal with him is to have a top-level fireshield up (spell = Ful Bro), and stay at a diagonal to him most of the time. For example, I would stay at a diagonal to him, wait until he moved adjacent to me, and then either use spells or attack (not both, it would take too long), and then immediately move diagonal again.
Dragon poleyn -- the Forest dragon in the Emerald forest
Spoiler
In the guide to the Dragon helm, it describes a T junction. Now is the time to turn right there, and go down the stairs. You will need 2 sar keys for the doors that you will encounter, as you go down the sets of stairs. Then, you will find yourself inside a room with eyes on the wall, that say things like "glimpse" or "walk". As a general rule, do not click on the ones labeled Eternity or Stay. Save before going clicking on any of the eyes, as if you use them all up, you will not be able to gain the armor. When you click, you will be teleported to a forest area. Inside, after a bit of exploration, you will find a green dragon. Kill it, (top-level lightning bolts should do the job quickly), and then you will have the greaves. Also, make sure to pick up and save any ven eggs that you should find. You may need them later.

The easiest way to get 2 sar keys without Leyla's keys or Iaido is to go to the spider level, via the Elevator. There will be a set of stairs down, and a spider will automatically spawn when you go down them. Kill it, and then go right, and down the stairs there. Go along the wall, and then turn right when it ends. There will be a statue in the wall, with the word "Ful" at the bottom. If you do not have the elevator unlocked, then use the password from the scroll to get the map for the spiders, and then make your way to the area where it says "The beginning of the blue path." Next, click on the statue. There will be a set of hazes that appear, which mark out a path, and the message "A path of light appears among the darkness" shows up under the screen. Quickly, go back to the set of stairs that you came down. You may need to have a fireball or two at the ready to deal with spiders that appear. Go up those stairs, kill the spider, and then go down the stairs opposite you. You should be able to see the hazes marking out a path again. You will need to go left through another one of the web-doors, which is in the third hallway to the left, assuming that you are going along the left-hand wall. To go faster, you may need to clear the doors faster. This takes a powerful melee attack, or a high level fireball. Then, you will be in a room, with only one other exit, to the right. Go through the door there, and then along the resulting passageway to another door. This door cannot be blasted open, it is only open for a certain amount of time after the "Ful" statue is clicked. If it is not open, try to be faster from the statue and try again. If it is open, congratulations. Go into the teleporter inside. There will be a teleporter maze in there. After exploring the maze for a while, you should find a Sar key in a bag. As a word of caution, if you get expelled from the maze, do not leave the square that the door would be in, as this makes the door show back up. Just re-enter the teleporter.

There are two relatively easy ways to get the second sar key. The first is to go to the Treasury off of the Revenge room in the Spiders level. To do that, go back to the area with the start of the blue path. Then, go up the set of stairs in the main area, the one not behind a door. To your left, there should be a barred door with a giggler and the words "Thief caught ransacking the Treasury". Now, assuming that you do not, and do not intend to have Iaido and the lockpicks, just kill the giggler. It will go invisible when apparently killed, so just chuck Ven clouds into the room until it dies and items drop. Then, after picking up the loot, use a Sar key on the lock for a door in that room. Go into the area that is opened. Pick up all the items in that area, including the two sar keys there. If you cannot carry all of the items, throw them out of the room, as the door will close when you leave.

The second method for getting another sar key is to open the door on the way to the Emerald Forest with a Gaefusilfir coin, and then put 4 emerald keys in the keyhole to get 1 sar key.
Dragon feet -- the Upper Armories of Moria
Spoiler
For this section, I will assume that you know how to get into Moria. Once in the main hall at the top, with your back to the entrance, go along the right-hand wall until you find a door labeled Westgate. Dealing with the flames and the water monster, go along the left-hand wall, until you reach a pile of rubble. Go through it, as it is a fake wall. You will need a Sapphire key to open the lock on the door ahead, although it does not use up the key. Going along, up the stairs will be a large room with camouflaged pits. Make your way along the right-hand wall, avoiding the pits, to the Emerald lock. You will need an emerald key, obviously. Once you open the door, and kill the tough skeleton inside, gain the skeleton key from said skeleton, then use the skeleton key to open the next door. There will be a dragon to fight in the next room. Kill it, and then use a gem that it drops to open the gem lock on a door in that area. Go up the stairs there, and then you will be in the Upper Armouries. Along with some other armor, in there will be the Dragon feet.
Dragon shield -- the Knight maze (You must have a full party for this one, and a means of scaring enemies)
Spoiler
I will assume that you have gotten at least to the Council level for this section. Along the main hallway of the Council level, there will be a door labeled "Circus Games", that will take an iron key to open. Having opened the door, you will need to go through this area to the Joggler Giggler room. If you have ever accidentally gotten into here, and do not know the secret, you will hate this place with a passion. The secret is thus: Throw a Zokathra spell at the central council member Once you have gotten through here, and gotten out the door at the back, go down the stairs. However, do so at full health if you have trouble with golems, as once you go down the stairs, a golem will spawn. Kill it, and then go left. You will have to blast open a door, and then click on the mirror if you have a full party. Otherwise, go get one and come back later. Passing the mirror wall, there will be a lever on the wall that opens a door. Past that there is a number of poison-cloud shooters on the wall. They are inactive for now. Going along the corridor, there should be an alcove to the left with an emerald key. Taking the key opens the door at the end of the hallway, closes the entrance door (which will require an emerald key to open), and activates the poison shooters. Behind the new door is a golem. Kill it, and descend. To the sides will be the entrances to the endings for the guild leaders. Go to the bottom of these stairs, and get ready for a dragon fight. When you go through the door there, it will shut behind you, and require an onyx key to open. You will have to fight a dragon in an area with a lot of invisible walls. Use the strategy listed for Smaug above, in a mostly open area. Also, do not step on the flame pads, as that will spawn rives. After killing the dragon, you will get a master key. Use it on the appropriate door in that area, and continue along. To your right, there will be a set of stairs down. That will be the knight maze.
After a bit of exploring (there are many invisible teleporters, and thus it is hard to write a guide for), you will end up at a dead end, with a pictogram inside a square on a wall. When you click on it, a knight will spawn. Use whatever means you have to scare it backwards onto the pads. Scare it into the alcove that will appear, and then back onto the secondary pad, that is not adjacent to the alcove entrance. Quickly go into the alcove, and pick up the items there, of which the dragon shield is one.
Lyte armor -- the Council storerooms
Spoiler
First, be aware that if anybody but Mophus wears this armor, it will drain their stamina. To get the armor, go to the Council level. Then, use a turquoise key on the door there, on the main hallway. The locks on the doors there require Zokathra spells. Simply go into each room along this hallway, and kill the fire elementals and vexkirks there (I do not know if you can kill the Lord Orders), then quickly grab the piece of the armor and make a break for the hallway. Wearing an Illumulet ("The Shining") will be helpful, as a Darkness spell is triggered when you grab the piece, and some enemies are summoned. However, you can just kill the fire elementals with a lightning bolt or two.
Shield of Lyte -- Three Fights for Freedom
Spoiler
Again on the main hallway of the Council level, spend an iron key to get into the Barracks. Kill the vexkirks, and then climb down the pit on the left side. You will be in a small room, with a giggler attacking you. Kill it, and then spend some time reading all the scrolls there if you want. Then, open the door, and go along the hallway. There will be a fake wall to the left, and one of the small holes in the wall along the way is a switch to open a grate in there. Deal with the enemies in there, and then activate the switches. Then, in the main hallway there, the wall at the end should have vanished. Couatls will attack you, and once you have dealt with them, look around for a green gem button. Hit it, and then look for a camouflaged pit. Enter it, and prepare for a fight. Lightning bolts will be your friend here. You will be in the middle of a large T, with paths to your left, right, and front. Going down each of these paths will trigger a fight. They are as follows: Left is an Oitu, front is demons, and right is fire elementals. After killing them, on the left path an alcove will appear with the Shield of Lyte, and a teleporter out will be activated.
Last edited by Troggy on Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Finally made it to the forges but I certainly wouldn't say it was easy
Spoiler
especially since I rather plant those monsters than kill them. It was nearly purely accident that I found it
. The Funereal weapons seem to have a very negative trade-off in this version and are therefore useless. If anyone else can confirm this, I'll add that information to the wiki page. Speaking of which...
@Troggy: you may want to add that information to the wiki page.
Troggy
Apprentice

Post by Troggy »

I would argue that the Swift Death dagger is worth wielding for a small amount of time to kill a tough enemy, or at least poison it.
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

Troggy wrote:I would argue that the Swift Death dagger is worth wielding for a small amount of time to kill a tough enemy, or at least poison it.
Are you implying you know what the trade-off is? If so I'll add it to the wiki page.
Troggy wrote:Dragon shield -- the Knight maze (You must have a full party for this one, and a means of scaring enemies)
For anyone who wants this without having a full party or any means of scaring monsters (This will be more difficult).

Spoilers for two riddles in the game are answered here as well, so reader beware.
Spoiler
You will need a ring that you don't mind giving up and also a moonstone necklace. There is an area in Moria with several stairwells, a door and an alcove with a riddle on a scroll, something along the lines of "no beginning, no end, nothing in the middle". Place the ring in the alcove and the door will open. Go through the door until you reach a dead end with an alcove and another riddle scroll, something along the lines of "the earth is my lord, the sea is my vassal". Place the moonstone necklace in the alcove and a shortcut will open up leading to the knight's maze and Tower of Mampang. Take the stairs down to get to the maze. Follow Troggy's directions for the maze until you get at the dead end. Toggle the switch and battle the first knight (use winds if necessary, hopefully it isn't). Once you've done about 150-200 damage turn around and push the button again. Then finish off the knight while pushing forward so you can pass the space it's in before the next one appears. Once the next one appears, lure him back to the floor pads.
Troggy
Apprentice

Post by Troggy »

At least in Beta 4, the funeral weapons
Spoiler
drain strength from you when you wield them
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

@ Troggy: That's what I thought. I just wasn't sure if they were supposed to do that. One of them for sure makes sense that it does that because of what it is supposed to be, but the others never did that in the past. I'll add that information to the wiki page.
Quartermass
Apprentice

Post by Quartermass »

First of all I really should give my compliments on Conflux. It feels more of a sequel to DM+CSB than DM2 ever did. I've played DM on and off for over 20 years, and Conflux feels like DM, the disappointment when DM2 was finally released and I got my paws on it has been a little offset by this.

I also feel there's some EotB added to the mix, more the first one than anything else. I very much appreciated EotB feeling different as you descended through the sewers to the dwarven realm then the underdark. I'm seeing that kind of feeling in Conflux (and also a door from EotB if I'm not mistaken!).

I've been playing now for a couple of days, and I've ranged far and wide across the game... although probably not too far from the start. The game, like DM to some extent (you could rush ahead at some points) and very much like CSB really is wide open, however I'm trying my hardest at the moment to get hold of a flask.

I've got two of the necessary parts, but I'm missing the
Spoiler
vinegar
. I understand it's up in the
Spoiler
minotaur area
which I've also seen referred to as the
Spoiler
mildew
area. As far as I can tell, I've opened up the area by throwing things as much as is possible, and I've
Spoiler
pressed the secret panel on the wall which clicked - am I missing something, does it need a particular object?
. However the area is empty, according to spoilers and hints I've managed to find there should be
Spoiler
a corridor leading to the vinegar/and or compass and or open doors spell (which I need to cast my influence I think)
. Am I missing something obvious?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome!

The wall that clicks - have you been pelted by rocks when you click it? Anyway, just on from rthere should be an iron grate door you cannot get to (pit). If you have a nice selection of throwing items (like the rocks) you can try to throw them through the grating. Once you've done that, an area of wall will open up - still not accessable to walking, but you can use more throwing. There are teleporters around aswell that both aid and hinder your endeavours.

So it could be as simple as you have partially opened the way, but not fully opened it.
Quartermass
Apprentice

Post by Quartermass »

No I haven't been pelted by rocks by that wall, the only thing that does that is a fountain earlier on in the level. The iron grate door I can get to, the wall that clicks is on the other side of the grate, and that's as far as I can get. It's there that I'm expecting there to be something... but I've thrown rocks and opened the area up, there's nowhere that I cannot get to, but the area is empty.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Then you haven't opened the area far enough. If the grate yopu mean is right beside that fountain with the rocsk (I remembered it was a gem hole, my bad) and If you can reach the other side of that grate, you've solved a big chunk of that puzzle. You still need to throw or place a rock on one of the floor pads near the grate, or open more of the area there. You'll know when you have, a crossroards opens up with an alcove just before it with stuff beyond where the floor pads are. And when you walk up to the crossroads - fun things happen!
Quartermass
Apprentice

Post by Quartermass »

That's the position I've been in for the past few hours. I've tried everything I can think of, until I ran out of food and had to head down to the sewers to gather a little and come back. And it turns out despite checking everything three times, I somehow had missed a section on a wall. I can only assume the method I was using to check was flawed...

In any case, I now have what I came for, and I'm exploring that ltitle section that was opened up (and filling up on food!).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Frsh eyes I guess! Yes, you will have plenty of food....plenty, plent of food. There are some tricks to that area to ensure you don't get trapped, btw. Yell if you find yourself in need!
Quartermass
Apprentice

Post by Quartermass »

I did explore it a fair amount, and I'm not sure what you mean by trapped, unless you mean trapped by trees rather than walls. The trees presented no great strife to my team.

I am of course stuck again, I've gone and collected my flask (woo) and thanks to seeing the equivalent of an altar of vi in the game I was able to cure my injuries, and my guys now move at normal speed. I have been very keen to try the find treasure spell, and now that I have it, and the compass I've been trying to get it to work. Without a compass I get feedback that it needs a component, however with the compass nothing happens. From reading other posts about the spell it seems I should get some kind of feedback directing me towards each treasure or at least feedback that the treasure doesn't exist. I'm puzzled again! :)

(Thanks for the help!)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Pretty much. There are tricks for quick exists and water hidde about the place.

Conflux changes all the time. Once it used to only point to one treasure (in the mines). However, now it could well be directing you to a valueable on each level. If you are getting nothing logical with it, then it might still only work on the correct level.
Quartermass
Apprentice

Post by Quartermass »

beowuuf wrote:Pretty much. There are tricks for quick exists and water hidde about the place.

Conflux changes all the time. Once it used to only point to one treasure (in the mines). However, now it could well be directing you to a valueable on each level. If you are getting nothing logical with it, then it might still only work on the correct level.
Yeah from what I've seen it used to work on one specific place, and then was changed so that each level had it's own little treasure. However it's either been broken by accident or it's been cut back or removed. Either that or I'm doing something wrong. In any area I can get to at the moment the spell is doing nothing at all. I'd read a few spoilers and treasure hunting was an activity I was looking forward to :)

Edit :
Spoiler
The compass I got is cursed, perhaps that's why!