Converting CSBWin graphicengine to a OpenGL 3D engine

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Re: Converting CSBWin graphicengine to a OpenGL 3D engine

Post by Rasmus »

I am glad that you liked it Trantor :)
- When eating something, as well as putting an object on the eye doesn't hide the item in version 0.1c, this is a new problem that weren't there the previous versions.. I was alittle fast on releasing this version because I want to get rid of a serious bug that alandale and sphenx are experiencing..
- It is good that you noticed the lightning problems, I have to check the calculations alittle bit closer.
- About the flying item, I haven't noticed that but I will check it out and correct it if you are right..
- The clicksounds has nothing to do with my 3D engine, it is still CSBWin that has control over them. The sounds usually gets corrected if you press the sound menu and then "Attempt using DirectX". In later versions I will replace the original DM soundengine to one of my own.
- The whole DM dungeon can be played. But from level 2 (counting from 0 ;)), there may be some minor weirdness, but nothing major..

Thanks for your input :)
alandale
Apprentice

Post by alandale »

It works! No more second dungeon view, no more flickering, and the UI controls are always visible. Great job. Now I can actually try it out some more.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Beautiful :D
Now I can continue my work with a clean conscience..
Thanks for your patience Alandale, it helped me alot that you where so quick on trying out and answering too the new releases!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Skull!!!
I'm so glad that you mastered it.
With those latest reports I was scared about things getting out of control.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Skål :)
I think it will work on work notebook also, mostly because I only use the simplest opengl comands now..
Just have to fix the resolution alittle, now it is stuck on 960x600, and that may be a little bit to much for your notebook.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

It's not that I want it under all circumstances for the notebook, that one obviously really misses some of the common features. And yes, y=600 wouldn't work, because it refuses to do it windowed then - and fullscreen it doesn't like too - even that some programs manage to switch it in fullscreen though...
It's more about your sanity and good mood. I don't want the project to drive you crazy. We need your spirit here ;)
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Rasmus, you solved the two problems I had! Fine work :)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

@Bit: There is no problem, I am going to do it anyway.. Right now I have managed to get it working in fullscreen at any resolution posible. So that is a great improvement.
@Sphenx: I am very glad to hear that, these problems have been buging me for a while..

I will release v0.1d as soon as I have fixed with the options to choose resolution and fullscreen mode, and have updated the editor so that it is alittle bit less complicated to use..
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Hello everyone.. Marry Christmas to you all :)
I just wanted to say that I haven't forgotten about you all.. I have just been alittle busy with school and the holidays..
We got a project creating some games in Java to January, so I have been using alot of my free time to create a pong, snake, pac man, and now a wolfenstein game with all the 3d maths created by my own (can't use OpenGL :?). Ofcourse they are all alittle bit more advance than the originals, but it is alot of fun :D
About my DM project, I have managed to make it work in fullscreen or desireable resolution. And right now I am working on replacing all dm graphics like inventory, actionbars etc. But not only the graphics, also the layout. This took alittle bit longer than expected because I also have to locate all the functions in CSBWin for putting a item in the hand, pressing on the runes, swinging weapons etc.
But I have come a long way, and when I am done I am hoping to be able to release a demo where the dungeon viewport can take up the whole screen and have the GUI placed over it with alittle bit of transparancy..

I am also hoping to be able to create a chat system in the game, so that everyone that are playing it can communicate with eachother. If that would work, then I will never stop smiling over here :D
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Wow, that last paragraph is both fantastic and scary!
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Well, time will tell.. If that works, then I think I will take a new direction. It would be cool finishing dungeons together with other players, or battle against other players. But I do think the dungeons have to be special made for multiplayergames, so no standard DM or CSB dungeon..
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Wanted to share a screenshot of what it is I am doing now..

I am creating a new editor using Visual C++ Windows Form Net (or what it is called).. Anyway it helped me alittle bit with getting a more userfriendly layout when creating editors. Here we can some of the things the editor is capable of doing, all objects on the screen has been resized moved and messed with. It can also change the graphic on all images. As it is now, CSBWin is fully playable with any layout created in this editor (as long as the buttons aren't hidden :))
This screenshot may not look like much, but it is just something I throw together in 5 minutes. I will post more screenshots later showing its full potential :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Customisable interface?
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Extreamly customisable interface :)
I was thinking that not only dungeons could be downloaded, but also interfaces.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

This is going to end in an engine-engine with an editor-editor ;)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I just like picking things apart, hopefully I will remember how to put things together in the end :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, you Cubist, you! :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Some minor fixes with some more options have been made..
**********************************************************************************************************
Download beta project of CSBWin version 1.0d in full 3D with OpenGL (release date: 110826): http://www.rasmus-dev.com/games/CSBWin3Dv0.1d.zip (for older graphiccards)
Download beta project of CSBWin version 1.0e in full 3D with OpenGL (release date: 110826): http://www.rasmus-dev.com/games/CSBWin3Dv0.1e.zip
**********************************************************************************************************
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

Can't believe I hadn't noticed this. Read the whole thread and was amazed at the progress but saw that there hadn't been a post for about 7-8 months.... I really hope work is able to continue Rasmus, it's excellent what you have already unlocked.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I'm sure he's busy with something great again, and if not, he's learning, and that's even more promising.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Rasmus's last post is only at the end of August!
Lee
Artisan

Post by Lee »

No I know that, I meant the length of time between his last post and the previous post in the thread! Sorry for not being clear. Anyway, just hopeful that work may continue as it's all too common around these parts for someone to start something really promising that blows our minds and something stopping the progress whatever it may be.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i hadn't tried the last release and i've just discovered today the terrain effect Rasmus implemented on some areas in level 1, simply brilliant !!
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Terrain effect?

EDIT: Ah, I played it and see what you mean -- subtle variable height floor!

EDIT2: The editor seems broken? I just get a weird screen with missing fonts?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

same for me with the editor, but you can play a little by changing texture bitmaps :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey Rasmus, can you fix the editor in v1.0e? I'd like to have a play around with it, but it's broken:
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Sorry for my inactivity.. I have been working on a sideproject and school is requiering some time from me too..

I am glad you guys find interest in the project :) I will take a look at the bug as soon as possible...
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Fixed, it was a conflict between CSBWin font.bmp and the editor font.bmp.. So here you go..

http://www.rasmus-dev.com/games/CSBWin3Dv0.1f.zip

I was also about to upload the GUI editor so that all the menus could be changed into ones liking, but because I have gotten a new computer and upgraded my VC++ to 2010 the *** thing won't compile.. But I can always look at it later, for now one can always fool around with the images in the the media folder :)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I don't know if anyone has tried out the new version (even if atleast 20 persons seems to have downloaded it ;)).. So any comment are appriciated :)

I got my groove back when fiddeling with CSBWin again, a couple of new ideas came into mind. Mostly because I think the editor that is there now is sort of primitive even if the results are nice..
So I started making an alternative editor, the biggest problem I had with the first editor was that I had to place it "over" the CSBWin code because I didn't want to spend all my time with how to load the dungeon files and get everything right.. The editor wasn't suppose to change anything in the dungeonfile either, therefore this quick solution..

So now I tried to do it diffrently, instead of rewriting the CSBWin code to create the editor, I ran the CSBWin game simulationsly with the editor, and let the editor ask questions to CSBWin about the levelsize, party position etc. while it was running..

Here is a screenshot:

The beauty about this is that I only set CSBWin into "editor mode", making it posiible to do things it can't do in gamemode.. On the screenshoot we see the editor showing what monsters, walls, pits etc. there are on the level, and its current position, almost like a quickmap but for another program.. The editor can move around the party in CSBWin as easy as a mouseclick on a specific tile or level.

The purpose about this is that I want to be able so send graphics to CSBWin from the editor while in the game, in this way I will see the result directly, and also locate the bugs alot more faster..

(And yes, I know about the lightning problem on the standard wallsets from level 2 (counting from 0) and beyond.. ;))
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ME WANT ME WANT ME WANT ! :D

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”