Warlords (1989) with a data projector

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Warlords (1989) with a data projector

Post by Jan »

The original Warlords (by SSI from 1989 - the turn-based war strategy) has always been one of my most favourite games. It could be played in up to eight players at one computer. Theoretically. Practically, it was physically almost impossible for eight people to play it at one computer, because most of them would be too far from the screen and they wouldn't see what's going on, and they would get bored and have no fun. So the number of players was practically limited to - let's say - four.

A month ago I had to buy a data projector because of my work, and soon I realised how cool would it be to use it for playing Warlords. So I put it in my office and I invited five of my friends (and bought some wine), and we were playing Warlords. One of us was always sitting at the computer and playing his turn, and the others were sipping the wine and chatting and watching the game projected on the wall of the office (about 1.5 x 2 metres). We have those chairs with wheels in our office, so we could move around freely when changing the seat at the computer. We played it for about 2 hours and it was really very cool and we had a lot of fun. So we decided to start a tradition and continue playing - one day each month. :P

I know that the original Warlords game is kind of obsolete today, but if you have the opportunity and enough friends, I can really recommend playing it with a data projector - it's really a very cool social event. :D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Warlords (1989) with a data projector

Post by Sophia »

That's really great. :D
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

This was one of 'those' games that I really wanted to buy but waited... Until I found a job! It was great reward indeed.

I had moved to Grimsby, no furniture or anything to cook with, just clothes, my trusty computer and a sleeping bag. The first weekend I rushed into the center of town, bought the game and... A computer desk.

I ended up sleeping on the floor for another week! Oh happy memories.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

you should try warlords 2 deluxe, was back then a favourite game of mine (though i am not really sure if the title is absolutely correct)
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

Hehe, sounds like great fun! :-)

Vividly I remember those Oil Imperium sessions after school.
We played it on an old oscilloscope with a thiny b/w screen, having terrible (not drug induced ;-)) headaches afterwards.

Oh happy times. 8)
T0Mi
Expert

Post by T0Mi »

What you could try out next time you're gathering for a game on the big screen, is watching some B-movie trailers.
Just 3 minutes and really good for a laugh!

Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8dQnzO7sWU
(make sure you watch it completely. Two words: bleeding buildings)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

OMG! I just couldn't believe it's genuine - but it is! OMG! :o

(Movie plot according to Wikipedia: "Sisters Yoshie and Kikue are two geisha who are abducted by a mysterious organization to be transformed into murderous cyborg assassins." - LOL, how inventive! They must've written it during the scriptwriters' strike. :roll: )
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

oh, speaking of B-movies....
The Dungeonmaster aka Ragewar (1985) :shock: :o :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B62P89nb ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CPWZLu0Ag&NR=1
What more can I add... The poster says everything :lol: :
http://www.impawards.com/1985/dungeonmaster.html
If anybody would like to watch the entire movie (I did, and it`s REALLY painfull :roll: ):
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/categ ... 69BkQfRbgX
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

I was thinking Rome total war with a projector! But alas, expense and such will mean it never happens.

I never played Warlords I, but 2 I wasted a fair amount of hours on over the years =)
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
greatstone
The data extractor

Post by greatstone »

Warlords!
All my youth! Hours spent on Warlords on my old Amiga 500 (still operational, the Amiga).
Orcs of Kor versus Lord Bane! I hear in my mind, after some many years, the sound of the start of each turn. Tuuu tu tuuuu!
Glad to see that I am not alone to make sometimes (even now) a party or two with a friend.