Favourite DM character

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

The lyrics to 'I am the Walrus', Bealtles...
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

What ? Kookookatchoo ? Pikachu ?
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

Those flying evil things. I can't remember what they're called. Couatls? They'd just fly up to the top. Therefore, they win.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah that's what I call Flying Snakes :).
I tend to use the names that are int he book we used when we played it on the Atari :).
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I thought dragons were supposed to fly but the DM one doesn't. Push a button when it's over a pit and it drops like a stone. Better still push it off a cliff....
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

I call the creatures by the names I used when I was a kid. Except that you guys are having a corrupting influence on me and I'm using the real names more and more.

But Blue Meanies are still Blue Meanies.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Any reference to the beatles film 'yellow submarine' or just because they are big and blue and mean? : )
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

Big and blue and mean. I think I saw Yellow Submarine when I was really little, and I may have remembered the name from that, or it may be that my dad started calling them that, OR it could just be my amazing skill with names. They're blue and mean - let's call them blue meanies!

Bear in mind that this would be coming from the same amazing brain that gave us Eyeball Octopuses! Yep! I was a very clever child. And I still call them that (improper pluralization and all). Even after hearing about how scary Beholders are in the D&D world.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

actually, the beholders/wizards eyes of DM are nothing on the beholders of d&d...someone should change that!

"we blue meanies only take NO for an answer!"
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

*evil glares at pad* dont even think about it, or youll be the one being thrown off angel falls
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

*nods head*
"No, Your Blueness!"

I've seen that film billions of times...we taped it when I was younger and thus had access to it for rather a long time :D.
Um Master

Post by Florent »

In the first DM solution I read, the blue meanies were called "blue gnolls"... I still call them like that. Well, "gnolls bleus" in French ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

blue orgres for me : )
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I read "Goblins" in a really old German walkthrough. And I think that they look like they were made of molten stone that became hard again... Maybe I played with too many "Flowstone" cards from Magic: The Gathering.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

On the subject of DM things in French, is "Mon Ful Ir" something you get from your wife when you come home late at night "Pierre Stazapharte"?
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Don't know who Pierre Stazapharte is ! But it depends on how much drinks you've had...

Anyway, don't ask me why, but in the French version of DM (and CSB), the Mon rune was "translated" into Man. Can you believe it ? I really don't see why they would change some meaningless sylable into another equally meaningless sylable...
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

agreed flo, just sounds even.. stranger *looks around* ive also looked at the earlier posts here, DM dragons arent that popular eh? i guess i better start making myself in BMP format , ive always ben one for agility so ill be chasing the living daylights out of you if you attack me first then start retreating because youre getting pounded =P... dont worry though, im not aggresive, so ill only kill if one starts me off.
Dark
Journeyman
Location: USA, Washington (West Coast, not DC which some people in Europe confuse us with)

Post by Dark »

I like DM Dragons but they are just to hard to draw : (
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

Dragons in general are hard to draw. I stick to people. The closest I've ever come to dragons are nagas, which I don't like drawing, and mermaids, which I kind of do... but scaly things and I just don't work out.
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

*nods* i understand its complex to draw the scales, luckily im not scaly, just hide bodied, so ill be easier to draw

speaking of drawings, i know this is goin a bit OT, but ive drawn myself quite a bit, heres a link to the 2 ive done so far

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/ ... Sera-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/ ... Sera-2.jpg

tell me what you think ^^
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

nice ! very 'disney' happy dragons :)
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

o.o i wouldnt say im disney looking, its just myself, but yes im a happy dragon
memyselfandi

gothmog

Post by memyselfandi »

a) there is a balrog called gothmog but he wasn't THE gothmog coz he was
killed by ecthelion
b) g. was the governor of minas morgul. tolkien does NOT mention which
creature he was (nazgul, another balrog, orc whatever). in p. jackson's
movie g. is looking like some kind of orc (actor: lawrence makoare)

yours,

memyselfandi
Rico Len
Novice

Post by Rico Len »

OK. again tuning in late but ohwell. :p

For years and years my favorite was Hissssa and then Dema. But now, I'm quite partial to Iaido and Linflas with Wu Tse and Syra. I like a lot of the characters. Sonja is nearly always one of the characters I get, and same with Chani.

If I were to pick one character I would probably say Chani's my favorite.

I think the best character is still Hisssa though. There's just no substitute for strength. You can gain mana, and health, but it's hard to perminantly be able to carry over 45 kg. And the way I equip my characters (armor, sheild, weapon, necklace/cape, waterskin and flask in the belt pouch, with a chest of food in their pack, and a vorpal/diamond edge/firestaff in the sheath. They need to be able to carry a lot of weight.
Who is John Galt?
Fermen
Apprentice

Re:

Post by Fermen »

zoom wrote:Yeah, you are all perfectly right; he looks kind of furry.But:
Does Hissssa got a tail? Or Wuuf? Most likely yes.
Well, i have made some scetches of some of the characters, think i´ll post them when i have successfully scanned and uploaded them.
shock:)seems i have typed too much....
I think of Hisssa as with a tail, like Argonians in Elderscrolls :mrgreen: Wuuf, I picture "Anubis-like", with a tail :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Favourite DM character

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I give Hissssa a smooth tail that goes almost to the ground, but Wuuf gets a short little fluffy thing that wags all over the place when he gets excited :D.