EA's Big Brother BS with Dragon Age 2!

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

EA's Big Brother BS with Dragon Age 2!

Post by raixel »

So I recently purchased a used copy of Dragon Age 2 off of Amazon in 'like new' condition. When it arrived today, I installed it. It asked for the reg code, which I supplied as the game came will full documentation. But when I went to actually play, it asked for the reg code again to 'activate' the game. When I typed it in, it said it had already been used and I had to buy the game if I wanted to play. So I went to EAs support and explained my situation. They sent me something saying I had to *snail mail* a 13$ money order along with the game disk and proof of purchase page from the manual to get a new code, as they "dont support used games"!

WTF!? I can't believe this! Seriously, I'm so mad right now I almost want to send it back and not play it. I buy ALL of my games used and have never run into this before.

*goes to play Might and magic 8 which she also bought used the same day and works fine.*
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Re: EA's Big Brother BS with Dragon Age 2!

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I fully agree EA "big brother" behaviour is just getting out of hand! It's it not just them either. All the computing companies (Microsoft, EA, etc.) seem to be in competition over who can con us customers the best :P

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

MMVIII didn't need an activation code, though ;).
Personally I'd never buy a game like that (ie one which needs a code to make it work) second-hand, 'cause...well, if it's second-hand, that means it's been used, doesn't it? And how can it have been used without the code having already been entered?

Post by raixel »

Exactly my point. Something about this does seem really really wrong. The email stated that it was EA's attempt to combat "piracy". So, I could see having to fax or something my proof of purchase, but charging me for it(or making me send the entire disc snail mail)?! I bought the game fair and square, and there was NO notice or warning that this was going to happen anywhere! It makes me want to pirate the code so I dont have to wait a freaking week or more and lose 13$ just to play a game I bought legally(it actually costs more now then if I had bought it new as I only bought it for 10$ cheaper). And Ive always been against pirating games cuz alot of my friends work in the computer industry, but this really irritated me.

I wouldnt have bought it used (or at all) if I had known that I needed a stupid activation code. I assumed that the reg code would be enough, as it has ALWAYS been enough for years. Sure if you buy the new copy you can get a bunch of cool extra features or in-game stuff sometimes, but it has never prevented you from playing before. I contacted the seller on amazon and he was unaware that the code only worked once, as well. It makes me wonder what big video game retailers like gamestop think of this, as a large portion of their sales comes from used games.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's the whole rhetoric of 'no other industry allows second hand things' except every industry of course does. To be fair games are one of the few mediums where it is (or was) really easy to keep a copy of the thing and then still sell it on. Obviously the music industry, and now with DVDs the movie industry has been much harsher and up their own arses with protecting the first issue.

The thing is exacerbated by game stop, etc selling games for almost new prices. This activation code thing is EXACTLY their fault.

Anywya, yes, there is piracy, yes game suppliers now take the piss with second hand sales being such a mainstream industry (Especially since you have to pre-order to get a game new many times, it feels), faults on both sides, just makes me feel sad for everyone involved and society as a whole.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

beowuuf wrote:This activation code thing is EXACTLY their fault.
I would have to disagree somewhat. If you need a new copy to play then the packaging should be very clear about that! I would not have even considered this to be a possible problem, although sure I would accept if you could not download some extra in game item or whatever with a second hand copy.

This is the publisher essentially saying that you cannot sell your game. If you own it, then you should be able to sell it without EA (or whoever) interfering.

To go slightly OT, Raixel when you complete DA2 could you post a review? I loved DAO, and so am considering getting DA2 at some stage.
Soaponarope
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

Though the companies have certainly gotten way more annoying lately(I think Games for Windows is the worst) it's not ALL their fault. In this age of file sharing, more and more people are just downloading full brand new games off torrents and it's kind of killing the retail PC market.

I've always preferred to buy games in stores; I like having the box and manual and all that, but lately I have changed to downloading games off sites like Steam (still buying them). It seems even the big name electronics stores have less PC games to choose from every year.

I wish it would go back to ten years ago, when you go to the store pick up a game and the company trust you bought it. Sure there was usually a code to check, but once you put it in that was it. I agree there is a sense now of the companies treating everyone like pirates.

BTW, I would like to know what you think about Dragon Age 2 also. I have heard some negative things about it,(that it was kind of dumbed down for console gamers, no longer has any mod support). Also I don't like the fact you can't make your own character, that seems like a step back as the whole origins choice in the first was a great idea. I actually made six characters and checked out the origin stories before getting on with the game. It gave a nice feel of the game world and I like being able to play the game from different perspectives.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

oh_brother wrote:I would have to disagree somewhat.
I think you've misunderstood what I meant by that comment? I meant that Game Stop's fault lies in pushing the idea of second hand games to the limits in terms of how fast the turn around is, and how much of a mark up it's sold back as. All those second hand games are 'owned' by game stop technically, so the games companies don't get any money back. In doing so, it was obvious games publishers were going to do something against having their revenue cut by such a margin, and they can't do anything legally because it's completely legal and what we rely upon when you are a normal consumer of something.

So while piracy, the amount of investment compared to the amount of return for games coming out now, etc, I think it's this practice that have 'froced' punlishers to come up with ways to make the firsat selling of a game mean something. One off activations, or 'compromise' first user gets multiplayer access, etc

It's funny, I'm not a heavy games player at all, but I guess I listen to certain media heavily enough that's I've known about these practices, and heard the arguments.

Certainly, the fact it's not widely known is shocking, and definitely rests at the foot of the publishers for not making it explicit they were putting that in. They can do what they like their games, and we have the right to not buy them. Not advertising exactly what you are purchasing though, that MUST be against some code of practice. You can't say 'oh, it's generally known', surely. That's tricking someone to buy then game, knowing you are punishing people later on who are doing what any other consumer of any other media would do.

And yes, it's consumers who are caught in the middle.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

^^ Okay, now I get what you mean. And you do have a point, if the second-hand market is that big.

But I don't see why second hand games sell for almost full price. To avoid this then the companies could perhaps use "milder" methods to make it worthwhile to buy a new copy, and that would increase the price difference between new and "nearly new". Meaning people would be less incentivised to re-sell their game quickly.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Like I said earlier. I dont have a problem with the compromises such as in game items or certain extra levels or whatever. If I like a game enough, that will make me buy it new in and of itself. But I have heard some of the same things Soap said, and didnt feel like buying this one new. (kinda like how Mass Effect 2 was 'dumbed down' Granted it was *amazing*, but it lost a LOT of the RPG feel with the loss of a real inventory. This was my fear when I found out EA bought Bioware /offtopic)

I sent the stupid letter off today, priority mail (a faster but more expensive US postal service option with confirmation as I have to send them the *entire* fu**ing game disc.) Of course if it gets lost or damaged EA is at fault in no way. I will NEVER buy another PC game from EA now. Which kills me cuz I really want Mass Effect 3, but I guess Im gonna have to buy it used from gamestop for my xbox and ask beforehand to make sure that this wont happen again. Grand total over new retail counting money order and shipping is $9.75.

And yeah I guess the thing that irritates me the most is the fact that EA basically is saying that you dont own the game. Even though you payed for it. I pretty much always buy used unless its a game I REALLY want, and always resell when Im done. Also like beo and others said the fact that this is unknown, The only inkling I had was on the front of the box it said 'internet connection required'. But a LOT of modern games say that, as there are special features and stuff that you need the net for. But NONE of the images of the game on Amazon or EA's site itself mention this activation thing. Its buried way deep in EA's website, and wouldnt be something an average gamer thinks.

If I was a lawyer, Id try and see if thre was any way I could stop this.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

raixel wrote:he was unaware that the code only worked once
Or so he claims. More likely is that he was trying to defraud you. I'm pretty sure you can file a complaint with whatever oversees these sellers if you didn't already. Amazon has a pretty good guarantee, so you should call them and see what they can do to help. Probably something, considering he, most likely knowingly, sold you an unusable product. He shouldn't get away scot-free while you pay extra and have to deal with all this crap.

EDIT: Cleaned it up a bit and found a link to the Amazon A-to-Z guarantee stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... eId=537868