Advanced Lockpicking

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Leslie
Adept

Advanced Lockpicking

Post by Leslie »

I wonder if it is possible to create a pickable lock with the chance of success depending on your ninja level (or stealing skill). Also, can RTC trigger an alternate action if the lockpicking attempt fails (e.g. destroy the lockpicks)?
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Re: Advanced Lockpicking

Post by Lord_BoNes »

It is DEFINATELY possible (I've done it in one of my test maps).... but, it involves a hell of a lot of mechanics (lots of relays to check values).

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hey bones
what's the method on checking the character values? not tried this yet, would like to use it, didn't know how to check character level.
keep your gor coin handy
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

After some tryine I mentioned to create a semi-advanced lockping which checks for the ninja level of the active character and then opens the lock or not.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Since you asked this question, I've been working on a tutorial dungeon for lockpicking. It even makes a different sound when you 'almost get it' (I use 2 random sections that work as a team, so when it gets the first one, it makes a different sound, then if it gets the second one, it opens the door) I should be uploading it shortly.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I've uploaded the new tutorial here. That should help you in your venture.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Lord_BoNes wrote:Since you asked this question, I've been working on a tutorial dungeon for lockpicking. It even makes a different sound when you 'almost get it' (I use 2 random sections that work as a team, so when it gets the first one, it makes a different sound, then if it gets the second one, it opens the door) I should be uploading it shortly.
thanks for all your effort on the tutorials. keep up the excellent work! :D
ok , so i understand and have tried everything above, just a little unclear as to what is checked with the characters. do not know their values, LO=value MON=value, how to check the experience level.
keep your gor coin handy
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Oh... so you're asking what the values for each of the spell strength runes (each rune is worth a random percentage value, within a certain range... so you use 2 relays, the 1st firing the 2nd, the 2nd triggering the outcome)
LO: >= 0 & <= 24
UM: >= 25 & <= 43
ON: >= 44 & <= 62
EE: >= 63 & <= 73
PAL: >= 74 & <= 87
MON: >= 88 & <= 100

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Yeah, thank you for the tutorial! I have to say it's very impressive, but I really don't understand all that complex relay mechanics yet. Maybe I'm too new to RTC, but I got a little overhelmed. What are the cloned relay items called "lockpick attempt" for?

I guess it'll take me some more time to learn even the basics of RTC :(
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Lord_BoNes wrote:Oh... so you're asking what the values for each of the spell strength runes (each rune is worth a random percentage value, within a certain range... so you use 2 relays, the 1st firing the 2nd, the 2nd triggering the outcome)
LO: >= 0 & <= 24
UM: >= 25 & <= 43
ON: >= 44 & <= 62
EE: >= 63 & <= 73
PAL: >= 74 & <= 87
MON: >= 88 & <= 100
ahh, thankyou :D i will play with this, if i understand correctly, it's in a series of relays from LO to MON. wonder why the rune values are random.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Leslie wrote:Yeah, thank you for the tutorial! I have to say it's very impressive, but I really don't understand all that complex relay mechanics yet. Maybe I'm too new to RTC, but I got a little overhelmed. What are the cloned relay items called "lockpick attempt" for?

I guess it'll take me some more time to learn even the basics of RTC :(
ask away leslie, no harm in that. i saw some of your work with the walls :)
keep your gor coin handy
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Leslie wrote:What are the cloned relay items called "lockpick attempt" for?
I'll put it this way:
Find the WALLITEM_ACTION that target's that particular object type (4,1,0).. now every relay of that cloned type fires (activates) whenever this WALLITEM_ACTION does (because it uses ACTION_OBJECT_ACTIVATE)... the main reason that I did it this way is so that I don't have to target the 16 individual relays (1 for each possible ninja level + level 0)... it also decreases the amount of "arrow clutter" when recursing targets (and speeds up the editor, due to less drawing).

The chain of events goes something like this... click keyhole, relays check what item is currently attached to the mouse (looking for lockpicks), set a counter to 0 instead of 1 (this counter is unique to each door)...
Now at this point (the bit you asked about) it activates all WALLITEM_RELAY_LOCKPICK_ATTEMPT objects, each of these relays checks the members current ninja level and attempts to 'pick the lock'... if any of these relays succeeds, then it fires all WALLITEM_RELAY_LOCKPICK_SUCCESS objects, and sets a temporary counter, that resets on a delay, so that only 1 "success message" gets through (we don't want to toggle the door twice in one frame, now do we? :P ).
This is the part where that first counter comes into play... when all the success relays fire, each of them checks their unique counter (only the one that we set a minute ago should be 0), and then we know which lock was the one being picked. Then it triggers the appropriate door. Once everything is done, the final step is to set that counter back to 1, ready for next time (or ready for the user to click a different lock).

Just remember to always check out what those WALLITEM_ACTIONS do. They're the most powerful tool that RTC has to offer.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin