3D software for posing characters

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

3D software for posing characters

Post by Ameena »

It'd be cool if there was some kind of posable figure thing for other species, not just humans. Like, you know, say, maybe a posable rat model or something...just as an example...:D.
Moo Master

Re: 3D Character Anatomy Proportions

Post by cowsmanaut »

poser has animals.. as well as animal humans.. :P
http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=10576
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Those are still humanoid, anthropomorphised creatures, though. Not actual rats. Mind you, I just went into the "Animals" section from the side menu on the left and there seems to be a rat poser thing there ( http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=11567 ). Though there isn't anything demonstrating how the program works or how good it is (besides a couple of screenshots), and it looks like it costs umm, what's $17.95 in English? About 15 quid or something? But assuming the rat figures in those images can be moved about and put into realistic ratty positions, that'd be really cool and pretty much exactly what I meant :D. If I want to draw rats at the moment, I have to search the Net for images of them in the poses I want, which can be a bit tricky.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The $17.95 is just for the rat model. You need the 3d software aswell (Daz 3D in this case) which is usually $50, but right now appears to be free!:
http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/-/daz- ... 12194&_m=d
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Yes I had Daz3 for free, I think they usually put their older versions for free, but it seems there is even a free version of Bryce.
Now that I don't really know what to do with it :P
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

oh, and Ameena.. if you reread my post.. you might notice I said they had the regular rat models.. as well as the human rat models which i then posted :) They have horses and cats and all sorts of stuff.. including fantasy animals and monsters and so on.. it's really endless. The whole point to poser was for people to have posable models to draw from :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh hmm...so if I got that Daz thing, even if it's free I'd still need to pay to put ratty models on it? Not that I'm in a drawing mood atm, but it might be good to know for future reference, when I decide I can finally be arsed to get round to trying to draw a murafu :D.
Should eat more pies

Re: 3D software for posing characters

Post by Gambit37 »

[I moved all rat/posing discussion to this new thread]
Yes, you'd need to pay for the rat models. You might as well grab all the FREE stuff now though, it's only free until 31st July. That includes the full program which is a 450MB download.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, might take a look at that later (when I get home from work this evening and have a bit more time). I expect I'll probably find it really complicated to use and stuff (thus is my experience with anything 3D so far, which admittedly consists only of game editors like the one for Morrowind, where I couldn't even click two bits of corridor together...though if the Spore editors count as 3D editors, then yeah, it certainly is possible to have something like that that's amazingly simple to use yet lets you do pretty much whatever you want with it :D), but it can be one of those things I just leave on my hard drive for years and have a little poke at every now and then and possibly learn the basics of over the course of half a decade or something :D.
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Just thinking about a new software-idea...
it should be possible to generate models by some sort of gen-code...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I downloaded that DAZ Studio thing today and had a little play around with it - it seems fairly straightforward to use, though I'll have to have a mooch around and see what kind of add-ons I can get (preferably free or very cheap :D) for various other species.