which version of CSB?

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Re: which version of CSB?

Post by Paul Stevens »

If they don't work then Zyx will be at my
throat. He and his friends put an enormous
effort into creating *Wonderful* hints.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, that's a point - if the Hint Oracle with CSBWin didn't work, then Zyx would never have asked me to write the hints for Conflux...unless there's some older version of CSBWin where the Oracle doesn't work?
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm clearly out of touch. I thought the Oracle had not been part of the CSBWin translation. Perhaps I'm thinking of the champion portrait editor...?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Gambit37 wrote:Perhaps I'm thinking of the champion portrait editor...?
That's correct. CSBWin does have the The Hint Oracle; but it doesn't have the Portrait Editor and the original intro video.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

All 4 save slots work normally or the save system is like DM, 1 save rewriting the previous one? I'll start playing it in a few days so i don't have time to test this now.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

All 4 save slots work normally AND the save system is like DM. :wink:

I don't fully understand your question. Everytime you save your game in one of the four slots, it's rewritten, and a back-up file is created (*.bak). So if you - by a coincidence - save your game in a bad situation / wrong slot, you can always retrieve the previous save from the BAK file (by renaming it to *.dat). If you do the same mistake two times, it's all lost.
wu tse
Apprentice

Post by wu tse »

Oh, i see. I meant that in DM there are no save slots, just once and everytime you save you delete the old one. Of course you can keep backups by minimizing the game window. I remember i kept 53 saves this way in DM.
Stitch
Novice

Post by Stitch »

Okay, bumping this thread since it basically addresses my questions, and I want to make sure the information is still current.

I recently completed a run of DM and would like to move on to CSB. I used CSBWin for DM because I was looking for the true port of the ST experience. Well, minor interface tweaks would be fine--when giving RTC a test drive I noticed a few welcome additions--but I want the core game running under the hood to be faithful to the original through and through. XP is gained the same, monsters can take and give the same abuse, etc.

Is CSBWin still the answer for someone looking for the "true" CSB playthrough?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Yes, I recommend it, CSBWin is basically the original Atari version and thus the most faithful one.

Plus you can take your DM characters and transfer them with all their experiences and levels directly into CSB (minus all stuff they got in their inventory, of course) - use the Utility function (load your last DM save and save it again in the CSBwin directory and then load your game - we can describe it more closely if you have problems with the character transfer).
Stitch
Novice

Post by Stitch »

I saw the pretty explicit instructions on how to do that earlier in this thread, so I should be able to sort it out.

Thanks for the feedback!