skill increase and attack option increase

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
zoom
Grand Master

skill increase and attack option increase

Post by zoom »

Just for discussion, original dm or close clones:
There are some questions that come up for me, when I think about skills(hidden skills ) and corresponding attack options
- attack options that are locked until you gain enough skill level to use them. E.g. take the fighter options : melee or berzerk

I do not see how the info I can read about skills and leveling explain the rare occasion,
when a champion will gain the option to an attack (which has as a prerequisite the next level (eg melee command)) - before the actual Level Up?!

This gain in expertise is (admittedly) always very close to gaining the next acutal (fighter) level where the champion would have gotten the opion anyway.
Only one or two addtional attacks suffice.

Nevertheless it happens. (I am certain for the amiga 500 version back then- and it happened with reincarnated hawk on level 4)
Could it be that the internal addition would be laaaaaging? That it just took some time to write that level up info into memory?
or something with the table - or info - is not telling everything.
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/691#toc8

In this regard, I would like to know -or have confirmed -that reincarnated champions lose all their bonus hidden skill levels they had before.
#1 Some champions start with higher hidden skill levels than the actual skill level(By actual skill level I mean fighter, wizard , priest and ninja)

(Gothmog has a higher mage_fire skill ,Tiggy has more lightning_skill than wizard level.. )
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: skill increase and attack option increase

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, you get chop before journeyman and I'm sure can cast reliable potions before the next priest level.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

For example, if you have a champion with the following amounts of experience & their corresponding skill levels:

Code: Select all

Experience points     Skill level
Skill 0 (Base Fighter skill):                7000            4: Journeyman (displayed in game)
Skill 4 (Swing, Hidden Fighter skill):       2000            3: Apprentice (never displayed in game)
Skill 5 (Thrust, Hidden Fighter skill):      2000            3: Apprentice (never displayed in game)
Skill 6 (Club, Hidden Fighter skill):        1500            2: Novice (never displayed in game)
Skill 7 (Parry, Hidden Fighter skill):       1500            2: Novice (never displayed in game)
Remember that experience in base skill = sum of experience in associated hidden skill). Here we have 7000 = 2000 + 2000 + 1500 + 1500

Now if the champion gains 500 XP points in skill 6, the experience points increase to 2000 and the corresponding skill level becomes "Apprentice". However, the total sum will now be 7500, so that the skill level of the base skill does not change (next level is at 8000 XP). However, an attack that is only available for champions who are at least "Apprentice" in skill 6 becomes available.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Ah,all is clear now! THanks :)
jamos
Novice

Post by jamos »

ChristopheF wrote:For example, if you have a champion with the following amounts of experience & their corresponding skill levels:

Code: Select all

Experience points     Skill level
Skill 0 (Base Fighter skill):                7000            4: Journeyman (displayed in game)
Skill 4 (Swing, Hidden Fighter skill):       2000            3: Apprentice (never displayed in game)
Skill 5 (Thrust, Hidden Fighter skill):      2000            3: Apprentice (never displayed in game)
Skill 6 (Club, Hidden Fighter skill):        1500            2: Novice (never displayed in game)
Skill 7 (Parry, Hidden Fighter skill):       1500            2: Novice (never displayed in game)
Remember that experience in base skill = sum of experience in associated hidden skill). Here we have 7000 = 2000 + 2000 + 1500 + 1500

Now if the champion gains 500 XP points in skill 6, the experience points increase to 2000 and the corresponding skill level becomes "Apprentice". However, the total sum will now be 7500, so that the skill level of the base skill does not change (next level is at 8000 XP). However, an attack that is only available for champions who are at least "Apprentice" in skill 6 becomes available.
Chris I am still puzzled on how xp works for starting Characters in DM. For instance Iaido Ruyito Chiburi beginning Fighter Skills with a resurrection are Swing 2 (1000), Thrust 3 (2000), Club 0 (0), Parry 2 (1000) = 4000 xp which should be enough for Journeyman Fighter?? What gives? Does anyone know the exact number of starting xp for Characters in DM?
jamos
Novice

Post by jamos »

Iadio seems to have 2000 xp as fighter and 1300 xp as priest ignoring the skills that are higher at start. Best to reincarnate anyways so I am not worried. :)