Legend of Grimrock

A forum for discussing the modern clone "Legend of Grimrock", by Almost Human.

Moderator: PetriH

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Clark Kent
Neophyte

Re: Legend of Grimrock

Post by Clark Kent »

By the way - the best thing Dungeon Master II offered was the map device where you can see a small area around your group. As far as I remember it could be collected somewhere at the beginning of the game and it was very useful! :) Maybe such an item would be nice for Legend of Grimrock?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

DM2 had several maps - I think there was one at or near the beginning of the game which was literally just a map of the nearby area. But later you got the minion maps - Scout and Porter, which let you summon their minions to do stuff for you. Scout was useful to help with a couple of puzzles, Porter was invaluable in transporting all those many axes back to the shops for you to sell ;).
Adept

Post by Crash. »

PetriH wrote:Sorry but that's not true. There is no estimate of how long it will take to finish the game yet.
I apologize. I had read in a few forums that this was the estimate, but had to do some digging before I found a more detailed statement:

http://216.86.148.111/showthread.php?threadid=3433093

"Hey there! I'm one of the four developers in a small Finnish indie game company called Almost Human that is currently developing a purebred dungeon crawl game called Legend of Grimrock for PC, Mac and iOS. The game harks back to the old classics like Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master, Ultima Underworld and others but with a much more modern implementation and great graphics."

"While the game won't reach the length of the open world RPGs, it'll be "long enough". This is just a guess at this point but theres probably like a minimum of 8 hours of gameplay but I think we'll easily surpass that figure during development: it's relatively easy to create content for a grid based game."

I don't recall exactly how long it took to play Dungeon Master the first time, but I know that it was more along the lines of weeks vs two or three days. This was partially due to purposefully slowing down the forward pace and doing additional training (because we were getting our butts kicked), to raise fighter, ninja, wizard, and priest levels when needed. It was also that sometimes a the result of a particularly difficult puzzle had us stumped for a few days where we had to keep thinking about it and then return to the game later.

I'm sure that when we enter Grimrock, we won't want to escape any time soon :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As mentioned before though, back in the sdays of Dm you only had a coupel of friends around to brainstorm a puzzle with if you were lucky, and a monthly wait for magazine questons. The power of the internet is such that even complex games are much faster to play through I think. I burned throguh Moneky Island pretty fast recently, having never played it, as opposed to the week I';m sure it would have taken me had I played it when it first came out :)
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

back when we first played it, it took me and my dad months to get through it
Okay, I was a bit embarrassed to admit that it took us weeks to complete DM among this group of elite, but to be honest, it was probably more like months. It took a long time, and it was so immersive and so much fun that, as my friends or family and I crowded around the computer and took turns "driving" the characters through the dungeon, it developed into a memorable and rewarding experience.

Cheers
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

beowuuf wrote:As mentioned before though, back in the sdays of Dm you only had a coupel of friends around to brainstorm a puzzle with if you were lucky, and a monthly wait for magazine questons.
Part of the problem is that some game makers (I'm looking at you Sierra On-Line) seemed to deliberately put a few incredibly obscure obstacles in the game, which we suspected, were to support their sales of official "Hint Books". Some of these puzzles were so difficult that even with the hint book it took a number of tries to succeed, which points to a lack of playtesting. In any case, referring to hints or walkthroughs makes me feel dirty.

Cheers
Clark Kent
Neophyte

Post by Clark Kent »

The short gameplay video mainly shows fighting against some monsters - but I really hope that the main directive in the game are riddles, exploration and the great feeling when solving difficult tasks! That was always the reason why I liked Dungeon Master 1 more then 2. Fighting is nice but should not be the biggest part of the game...
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

The designers have indicated that "tricky puzzles" are one of the main features of the game, but mentioned they do not want to give a puzzle solution away in gameplay video.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Amazing work. Cant wait to play it, guys I wish you all the best with this and hope its a real success for you !

Side note 1 .....
Either Im blind or something weird is going on ... I cant see your SSAO in the video, was it switched off. Are there any screen shots with SSAO turned on so I can see how good your implementation is. SSAO will seat items nicely on the ground and make the edges of the ways look more natural.

Side note 2 .....
Just a little pissed off as this was what I was trying to do years ago and got no support from any artists .... guess you got to know one to get the job done :O)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

@crash i like the beholder, the monster with eye squirting juices, the ant soldiers with a toothpick, monster with tons of faces with eyes everywhere and the bat mosquito.
keep your gor coin handy
Stingm
Apprentice

Post by Stingm »

Looks Excellent! Any idea what the computer requirements to play will be?
Stingm
Apprentice

Post by Stingm »

Looks Excellent! Any idea what the computer requirements to play will be?
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

http://www.grimrock.net/frequently-asked-questions/

"The bare minimum is a DX9 graphics card and Windows XP"

I would imagine this will be updated with more detailed specifications, and other information regarding the Mac, and iOS versions as release grows closer.
Stingm
Apprentice

Post by Stingm »

Thanks for the quick response!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

DSE wrote: Side note 2 .....
Just a little pissed off as this was what I was trying to do years ago and got no support from any artists .... guess you got to know one to get the job done :O)
DSE... To be honest, I did. I offered a lot of help, while you were active with the project. However you got busy, which is totally fair.. however it was also difficult to get firm direction from you and I couldn't provide all the motivation myself. I've gone off an worked on complete titles and got them done, either (A). because I was paid to do so or (B). because I had someone who gave a lot of feedback and was moving forward with or without me. I did a bunch of Stuff for AlanDale for his DMJ, I did a bunch for Zyx for conflux, both gave me a portion of things to do, let me know what they needed and i did it... unpaid, and quickly. When others don't know where they are going and I don't get the feedback I need.. I tend to fall off and go do other things. This is why most of my personal projects go unfinished.

anyway, back on topic though. I've seen huge jump in the likes on the facebook page for Grimlock, great job guys! Starting to look like my initial concerns are washing away! :D
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

And over 180,000 views on Youtube in 1 week! That's a lot of potential customers ;)
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

cowsmanaut wrote:
DSE wrote: Side note 2 .....
DSE... To be honest, I did. I offered a lot of help, while you were active with the project. However you got busy, which is totally fair.. however it was also difficult to get firm direction from you and I couldn't provide all the motivation myself. I've gone off an worked on complete titles and got them done, either (A). because I was paid to do so or (B). because I had someone who gave a lot of feedback and was moving forward with or without me. I did a bunch of Stuff for AlanDale for his DMJ, I did a bunch for Zyx for conflux, both gave me a portion of things to do, let me know what they needed and i did it... unpaid, and quickly. When others don't know where they are going and I don't get the feedback I need.. I tend to fall off and go do other things. This is why most of my personal projects go unfinished.

anyway, back on topic though. I've seen huge jump in the likes on the facebook page for Grimlock, great job guys! Starting to look like my initial concerns are washing away! :D
Sorry but that isnt how it was from my side at all, you offered very little (a fireball graphic, a fountain and a couple of textures. I believe most of it came from work you were doing for your classes (iirc)). Its not a problem as I understand that 99.999999999% of home projects dont get finished so that is always at the back your mind when helping others. I got frustrated with the project due to the lack of commitment from anyone (creating creatures in particular) and cant afford to pay for the assets. If these guys do amazingly well out of their project then I will have to chalk it down as another 'might have been'.

On topic - I am sure its going to do very well this and it does look ace in every way.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

got this article on (biggest) french videogames website : http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2011/0005 ... imrock.htm
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

god it looks good. cant wait to play this :O)
Clark Kent
Neophyte

Post by Clark Kent »

Are there only the four characters seen in the demo or can I select some different adventurers?
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Post by PetriH »

Clark Kent wrote:Are there only the four characters seen in the demo or can I select some different adventurers?
Yes, there is more. Exact number TBD.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Gargl! I want to design with this engine! Soooo immersive!
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

DSE wrote:Amazing work. Cant wait to play it, guys I wish you all the best with this and hope its a real success for you !

Side note 1 .....
Either Im blind or something weird is going on ... I cant see your SSAO in the video, was it switched off. Are there any screen shots with SSAO turned on so I can see how good your implementation is. SSAO will seat items nicely on the ground and make the edges of the ways look more natural.

Side note 2 .....
Well, DSE... to score a point in your favour, if I ever seen something that could go toe to toe in competition with Grimrock, it was your Entombed.
But, as you stated, homegrown project often remain a dream, "real life" seem to be stronger in many cases.
Don't let a closed door stop you
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Thanks :O) The latest engine looks even better. Dont want to hijack this thread but thanks again.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

How about starting a new thread to discuss what can be done to jump start Entombed? Grimrock's video got over 200,000 views on Youtube in less than two weeks, so there is clear interest in old school dungeon RPGs. Surely one or two of those people are animators or artists, and perhaps it is just a matter of finding them.
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

HI ALL !!!

my best dungeon master clones :

1 - LEGEND OF GRIMROCK
2 - ENTOMBED
3 - DUNGEON MASTER TRIBUTE 1 and 2

:) :) :)
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Post by PetriH »

Zyx wrote:Gargl! I want to design with this engine! Soooo immersive!
Zyx, this might be interesting information to you:
http://www.grimrock.net/2011/09/09/buil ... n-part-ii/
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Interesting! By the way, how will you handle interactions with NPC, if any, and how far will you develop the engine about them? (for example, are multiple choices dialogs planed?)
Clark Kent
Neophyte

Post by Clark Kent »

It would really be nostalgic to be able to use spells from Dungeon Master! So a happy FUL IR to everybody! ;)
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

question :

Pétri How many total monster you created for the game ???