RTC Rope (Climb Down) Mechanics

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
andyboy_uk
On Master

RTC Rope (Climb Down) Mechanics

Post by andyboy_uk »

Hi all,

Wonder if someone could help me, Ive been playing around putting a custom dungeon together in RTC and during play testing I experienced something odd. I have provided the player with a rope that has CLIMB_UP and CLIMB_DOWN properties and my test character is ARCHMASTER everything with 999/255 stats, non poisoned and not hungry or thirsty. As part of a new puzzle Im putting in you need to climb down a pit with the rope but every time I do my character takes damage (and quite a bit).

Is this part of the rope mechanics to take a bit of strength away every time you use the rope? My char is 999 strength and was taking in the region of 100 points of damage either as i dropped down to the lower level or walking around. Ive not put any damage triggers on the floors (just plain dungeon) and ive not put any monsters in yet so it cant be that.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Andy

p.s. Hello everyone :-) im still lurking from time to time.
Regards,

Andy
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: RTC Rope (Climb Down) Mechanics

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi, welcome back ;-) Are you sure you're dropping just one level? I had a weird situation with the CLIMB_DOWN action actually taking me through TWO levels if I activated it in front of a pit that was also being controlled in the same relay stack. The two level drop will clearly give you damage. Not sure if this is the same setup you've created?
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

HI Gambit, good to be back :-) - loving the new look website by the way..

As far as I know, its only dropping one level, also, im not entirely sure if it is the climb down thing or if it is something else as sometimes it takes a few steps before I take any damage. Very strange indeed. I am going to do a few more tests to see if I can re-create it.

A
Regards,

Andy
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Ok a bit more testing reveals its nothing to do with the rope. Ive removed my custom rope object (with climb_up and climb_down actions) and the character is still taking damage for no reason. Even if I just bring him back to life from the mirror and then go to sleep he suddenly takes around 100 damage and often spins around as if taking damage from a monster either to the right or behind him.

Weird!

A
Regards,

Andy
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Worked out what this was, there appears to be a small issue with cloned monster attack ranges - ive logged a bug in the forum, discussion here...

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 41#p127041
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I did see you lurk from time to time, welcome back properly