[Custom dungeon] Conflux III: The Undercity [CSBWin] [Benjamin Prieu (a.k.a Zyx)]

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zyx
DSA Master

Re: [CSBwin] Conflux III: the Undercity

Post by Zyx »

The link should be up now. Thank for your reports, suggestions and help. I will try to release the beta6 this week to get rid of all the bugs known so far.
Fermen
Apprentice

Post by Fermen »

Hi! I find no working link for Conflux :(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The second link in the first post of this thread works OK. You need to "Save as" while right-clicking the link. You'll also need 7Zip to uncompress it.
http://dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/Conflux_3.5_B8.7z
http://www.7-zip.org/

(@Zyx, perhaps use ZIP for releases? It's more common and easier for non-tech people to use as a zip decompressor is already built in Windows.)
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

yeah, I had a problem with unpacking 7z files on Ubuntu (no woking program for that kind of stuff)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

sudo apt-get install p7zip
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

@Gambit: ok, I'll trust your user-frienly knowledge. I'll zip the next version.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

I'v just downloaded Conflux.

Hoping to begin playing it tonight :)
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

We shall eagerly await your screams of anquish! Though someone that survived the combat of a Zed dungeon and the puzzles/layout of CSB should be able to survive the early levels of Conflux!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Whats the best way to start the dungeon?

I picked my 4 characters,and am confused as to where to go.
Do you start by choosing one of the doors where the holes in wall are...or is it best to go down into the wine cellar/storage area or whatever its called?
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

LS : If you have taken the four characters, when you leave the small room where they are (and there's a fountain) go down in the staircase farther on the right. Go down the wine cellar next. DO NOT go down in the sewers yet, it's much more difficult.
Also, when you get the proper objects, try to open the guild doors (where the holes in the wall are, next to the character mirrors).
Spoiler
Your skill level is capped by the number of door you've opened in the guilds.
What Is Your Quest ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The wine celler is the best place to open up, but you should actaully do the supplies area first (don't go so far down the stairs to reach the sewer. as Joramun says) and you might find you can open up the way to the wine cellar and beyond there instead!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

beowuuf wrote:The wine celler is the best place to open up, but you should actaully do the supplies area first (don't go so far down the stairs to reach the sewer. as Joramun says) and you might find you can open up the way to the wine cellar and beyond there instead!
Is that the area where the Christmas Tree monsters are?
I killed a few groups of those things,and thankfully they are a food source.

Im not sure what my immediate goals are (or should be).
Do i need to build up my characters stats by killing these trees,or should i be moving on?

btw.
Great Sound effects in this Dungeon.Very impressed with it so far.Well done to the creator. :)
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

I would advise running around in the cellars area to start, generally exploring and building up your chars and *maybe* the sewers if you think you can handle it. Save often. You never know whenyou drop down a pit and find somewhere cool, only to have a million monsters on your hind end. (that was usually how I died). But yeah, build up your guys before you go really running around. Also, I dont know if you rea or anyone told you, but the spells from DM/CSB are *not* the same. And certain spells you might not want to cast....
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

raixel wrote:I would advise running around in the cellars area to start, generally exploring and building up your chars and *maybe* the sewers if you think you can handle it. Save often. You never know whenyou drop down a pit and find somewhere cool, only to have a million monsters on your hind end. (that was usually how I died). But yeah, build up your guys before you go really running around. Also, I dont know if you rea or anyone told you, but the spells from DM/CSB are *not* the same. And certain spells you might not want to cast....
I'v been battling against the Pain rats in the storage area to build up my front 2 characters.I managed to link the wine cellar to the storage area with a secret passageway.
Iv stayed away from the water level because the Blue Trolls seem very powerful there.

This dungeon is astounding.The graphics are a work of art.The water in the blue troll area blows you about the screen and stuff.
Im not sure what the various food items do though.I consumed a Tree pod,and my characters keep coughing all the time.The only food that i trust to eat are the steaks from the giant rats.

I used 2 Maces on the fighter guild doors,and found a riddle about Dwarves or something.

My strategy at the moment is to just hang around this storage area and kill giant rats to build up a huge food supply.Only when the prospect of starving to death is an impossability will i move onwards and kill the blue trolls.

This game is brilliant. :)
raixel

Post by raixel »

Yeah, thats a good plan. I usually get my rear kicked cuz I try and go in the sewers too soon, and they can be *brutal* when it comes to he trolins and foliage down there. Theres riddles of some kind to get deeper into every single guild hall, so be prepared for them. What champions did you choose to ressurect? For the first playthrough, some people recommend you go with all the guides (the first 4) cuz they give hints and tips about things in the dungeon, although some people like to only take one or two guides and try and get a guild leader, or a champion deeper in the guild. The champions deeper in the guild get "higher up" in the guild as you go
Spoiler
they are stronger
and each of the guild leaders has something special associated with them. But as it say son the wiki faq "I just beat conflux!" "No, no you havent." So even if you take the 4 guides, you could always try something ifferent in a different playthrough. Last playthrough I was on before my comp crashed last year, I had just Leif and was trying to go for a guild leader.

Oh, you think its brilliant now, you aint seen nothing yet. I havent even gotten that deep in it compared to some people and I always find something new every time I play. It has multiple endings, mad secrets, and everything else a dedicated DM fan would want. It basically is to CSB what CSB is to DM times 100. Only issue I have is that the hint thread is so long and convoluted, and the game so mindblowing, that trying to find even a hint about an area is hard. Ive been meaning to sort through it and start working on a spoiler/hint section in an easily searchable form on the wiki, but I'm a novice when it comes to wiki markup and I'm currently super busy already.

A couple hints about your questions/comments
Sewers are known to be filthy disease ridden places... If a champion prays to his gods and studies a lot, he might be able to learn things about items in the Undercity. And it was said before(in spoiler), but perhaps as you get deeper in the guild, the teachings of said guild become easier for your champions to grasp....

But it makes me happy to see you love it. I think its great that Zyx's magnum opus is still blowing people's minds!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, there is a small dungeon are with food andpuzzles if you find some stairs upwards :) And have you found the flask puzzle yet to get a flask? And yes, diseases are possible if you dwell too long in horrible areas. So food and other items are good to create cures.
raixel

Post by raixel »

beowuuf wrote:Actually, there is a small dungeon are with food andpuzzles if you find some stairs upwards :) And have you found the flask puzzle yet to get a flask? And yes, diseases are possible if you dwell too long in horrible areas. So food and other items are good to create cures.

You speaking of the vinegar smelling area? Should we warn him what lurks in there? Naaaah. ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, and spoil half the fun? Naaaaaaaah.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

"One tooth to bite.He is the forests foe.
"One tooth to fight.As all dwarves know"

:?: Any hints???

@ beowuff
I haven't managed to locate a flask yet.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There is an alcove with a quest for you - you need to find a ven egg, kath vinegar, and a zo liquer. You should be able to find all three in the celler area (and the well lit area above). There are other flasks further down too, though they will always be a vaulable resource, just like CSB.

You ax the question abotu that riddle, but I'm not sure if I sould spoil it for you. Spoiling the answer is only half the battle, you'll need to go further down to locate one to open the fighter guild further.
raixel

Post by raixel »

If you really can't solve it, I'll provide a hint. Ive got a really good one planned that might help but not give it away.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Iv got a Ven egg,and the Zo liquer in my inventory but i haven't managed to find the Kath vinegar yet.
Just found a weird room where you can press buttons to start a flood,and there is lots of blue hazes and a pit.
Dont really understand what to do there..so i went back to the starting area.

Im going to have to start creating a few maps,because it feels like im just going around in circles.The area with the big barrels has many places i dont understand yet. Door of answers/fountain of wisdom/ ect. Many locked doors that require keys.
Looks like i'll be playing this dungeon for quite awhile.

@ Raixel
Iv started the game using the 4 characters in the initial 4 mirror's.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You need to find stairs up to get the vinegar. The door of answers is opened by siolving the fountain of wisdom i think...or perhaps the fountain of wisdom hints at thesoluion to the fountains of ignorance that open the door to answers... Have you clicked on the fountaind by hand?

There are maps available, but you need to find the hidden scroll on each level.

The keyholes, like CSB, have a numberof purposes. Iron key holes are simple openings and simple bonues, gold keys give better bonueses, emerald keys let you open short cuts between the levels.

In the cellar is a door that needs a square key to oopen, that is one of the ways to get to the upper dungeon area.

The flood room is just a fun room to see the flood mechanicsm I believe, and perhaps set the level? Not sure if it;s just not a WIP thing.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

beowuuf wrote: In the cellar is a door that needs a square key to oopen, that is one of the ways to get to the upper dungeon area
I do recall opening a door with a square key,but i cant remember where it was exactly. :oops:

Earlier on, i ran into an area with a Minotaur,which promptly killed my front 2 characters with 3 swipes of its weapon.So im guessing that this Minotaur area is some place im not supposed to be right now because my party isnt strong enough to kill it.

The watery area (sewers?) also seems to be a place im not adequately prepared to wander around yet either.
Main problem im experiencing is that my back 2 characters (Gando and some other dude) are utterly useless in HP,and they cant even fight against the christmas tree monsters to level up.One hit from the tree's kills them.
My front 2 characters are basically carrying the entire party.

All 4 members of my party are coughing like 60 a day smokers,and i don't know how to heal them.
Im assuming that this mini quest for a flask will heal them.

Having a blast with this dungeon.
raixel

Post by raixel »

*snicker* ahhhh, so you *did* meet the character we were referring to. Just to let you know, kath vinegar has quite a strong odor. And yeah, stay out of the sewers until you have a flask! If you really get stumped/frusterated, let me know and I'll reveal some spoilers. We want you to have fun, not torture you to death! Although in Conflux they are surprisingly similar sometimes, though. :D

And yes, maps are a great idea. Get some graph paper and a pencil and map with em. Theres nearly no way to play this dungeon without a map cuz its *huge* and pits go everywhere.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I do believe you need to map the area. For one thing, there's a puzzle (have you found a scroll mentioning the long lost wand, and another scroll with a 'map' for opening somehting? Having a good idea of the layout of the celler will let you quickluy solve that puzzle.

The upstairs has two ways to get to it - the square key area, or the minotaur area. Way back in the day the minotaur didn't used to be there. It's not undefeatable, but it does hit hard...very hard...like, stone golem hard. So you can either find the square key area again, or try to fight/move/sneak passed the minotaur. That ways leads to the kath vinegar, anyway, and then that Kath vinegar and finding the area with the quest wallinscription nets you a flask. I also have a funny feelign you can sleep off some the easier ailments, but unless you've secured a food source I won't suggets that

Glad you are enjoying conflux, this early part of getting your characters strong and fignurign out the world can put some poeple off, but it is so worth it to just enjoy the craziness! :)

To get your back two characters stronger, remember to just have the back characters throw items and get ninja levels, and practise spells (even if you don't have a flask). The sewer area is a good place to burn mana off, because it's a higher level and so you get more experience. Also, don't forget to use the excess guild signs like shurikens, maces, corbums and staves to open the guild further so your characters can level up enough., Each guild does have a riddle to open up the deeper area, but aside from the fighter I think the first few levels - if you explore well and solve puzzles - net you the solutions.

I beleive when you click on the character's eye, it will tell you if they have advanaced as far as the guild will let them, and so whether you need to explore further for more guild signs. You should end up with excess in the end (which you can use in other places) so do not worry about not being able to fully level up in the game.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Any idea where i can find a square key?

Im 95% certain that i found one at some point,and used it on a door.
But i just found another door with a square key lock (in cellar area,near to the Fountain of ignorance),and im stuck.
If obtaining the vinegar will net me the flask,i dont want to have to go the Minotaur way to get it.

Solved the fountain/door of answers puzzle and got the necklace and some 'Plasma'
What is this plasma used for? I cant put it in my hands or inventory
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I thought you'd found it! Umm, I have a feeeling it is somewhere reasomable obvious - like in an alcove, or behind a wall switch. There is a key you need to get that is protected by a pit, and you just need to solve the simple puzzle, but I htink that is a cross key for goign to the temple (which is tough enough that you may want to do the sewer first!)

There is only one door that uses a square key to my knowledge, the door that leads to a douible tunnel area with screamer/chewers.

Plasma has use - as a spoiler for conflux and CSB, unstable plasma/zokathra spells cam be used on RA locks to melt them open (though it can be a little explosive). I think the plasma is just something to place on floor switches this early. I think the necklace lets you cast potions at one priest level higher? Or it's an illuminet and gives you basic light. One of the two.

Hmm, I might dig out conflux this weekend (been meaning to start the new one) and will refresh my memory on all these!
raixel

Post by raixel »

I was thinking of torturing myself again too. Wheres the changelist of the new version? (IE is it bug fixes, or actual new areas?)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Depends when you last picked it up. There is always somethign new that's been tweaked. Usually the last page of the huge conflux thread where he relaises it mentions what was in it, I don't know if it got echoed in the first post where the download is.

The last download I got was the WIP002, which I think lord_soth has too, because it has the flood mechanics area available to play around with, which I think affects how the sewer area works too?