Wall font

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Wall font

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Hi peoples... I'm just wandering if anybody has a copy of the BITMAP_WALL_FONT image used by RTC. I've been searching around the net, but I'm only finding images with just the top line (A-Z, plus " . ' "). What I'm looking for is the image that includes the complete wall-text font for:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ,.;'/
0123456789-+()?_[]"%&@<>
<spell runes>

I want to be able to alter the wall-text font used in-game by RTC, and I can't without that image :(
I thought of trying to screen grab the image, but it's been scaled down to 50% in the editor, and would be heavily distorted. Any help would be appreciated.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Wall font

Post by Ameena »

Perhaps you could just create a dungeon with the font in it, go up to the wall containing your text, and screengrab that instead?
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

That idea worked, thanks Ameena. However, I was trying to make a tranparent wall-text font... and RTC doesn't allow transparent wall-text at all (not even when you assign a transparent alpha channel). I must say that I'm a bit disappointed :(

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Cheer up! Australia is in the semi-finals! :P

Anyway, how would a transparent wall text work in the low-res? Would it still be legible? But it sounds like an interesting idea.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

That main reason that I wanted it to be transparent is so that the same font can be applied to any wall. The transparency would mean that the wall behind would "tint" the text, making it appear more like it's part of the given wall.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Well, you have to make a font bitmap for each type of wallset. I hope you don't have billions of them...
Apply the grey-ish layer font layer over each wallset's WALL_FRONT bitmap, change opacity. Fill inverted selection (i.e. all powerpink pixels). Crop. Save.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Yes, I'd also thought of that too, Linflas... but, the background will change depending on where any given letter is (if an "A" is in a different spot on the wall, it'll have a different appearance). The appearance will also change when the wall is using the FRONT_ALT image.

This is why I wanted my transparent font. But, no, RTC has to be bloody difficult! Curses to you RTC! CURSES! :P

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, there are still a few parts of RTC that haven't been "alpha channel" enabled. Wall fonts is one of them.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yeah, it is a bugger Bones... it frustrated me too, but there is some ideas you can poke at. not all the font text has to be in grey, perhaps only enough to see it, colourize the rest and that too looks like the font but of the colour of your choice. i farted with it to try and simulate colour, and it works, just not that pretty. the scale for the entire txt is not even, first row of font 13, next 11, next 12 pixels.
keep your gor coin handy