I'm new, are there any RPG type of dungeons?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Shaddow
Neophyte

I'm new, are there any RPG type of dungeons?

Post by Shaddow »

I don't quite understand the game so far. I was hoping for a story to be behind the maps like you would find in a Dungeons & Dragons quest. Perhaps with voice acting (didn't realize how old the game was).

Are there any custom dungeons that might add something of a quest feel to the game maybe even with voice acting? I really want to try this game out but I just don't understand it.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: I'm new, are there any RPG type of dungeons?

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi, welcome to the forums :-)

It might make sense to read the original Dungeon Master manual to give you the back story and insight into the interface:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/412

Which version of the game are you playing?
Shaddow
Neophyte

Post by Shaddow »

Glad to see the forum is active.

I'm using the RTC (Return to Chaos) version of the game. Is there a more quest like game available though?

I'll read through the manual you linked to.

Thank you.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, there are quite a few good custom adventures for RTC which may be more to your liking. But they are generally designed for experienced players of DM. If you've not played DM before, it's probably worth at least trying that first: it *is* a quest, and although there's no narrative as such, some occasional texts and scrolls hint at how to complete your final objective. Read the story first though :-) (at the link I gave). Bear in mind it's nearly 25 years old, and the first of its kind, so it's pretty simple on the storytelling front as all the effort went into the "new" style game engine, which up to the point had never been done before.

Probably the most quest-like and engaging custom game for RTC is "Tower Of Champions":
http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... 31&t=28336

Hints and help for ToC:
http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... 31&t=28357
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Reading DM manual again and realizing that I had missed some parts of original story. I never noticed that Grey Lord was a special being : a "High Lord" which can be compared to a deity, like Zeus in greek mythology.

And french translation is definitely crappy ! "dungeon" is stupidely translated to "cachot", which means "cell" or "prison" !
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed, a High Lord like a D&D god, where they were probably once mortals of high power that managed to ascend to a higher plane.

Indeed, the games themselves do not have a coherent story internally, but CSB and to a lesser (canon wise) extend Theron']s Quest had some nice story beats. Certainly, the world hinted at from those sources and the DM dungeon template itself sorta let me run a 25 month D&D campaign in that world, so there you go :)
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

well that is interesting : i never read CSB or Theron's Quest stories, just watched the intro sequences...
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Of course the advantage with the old-school rpgs is that you could make up your own stories - I always had backgrounds for my 4 champions, and would imagine interactions between them and so on. I always had a favourite who represented me, and the others were more like NPCs.

For better or worse (overall probably better, I have to say) that is taken care of nowadays with games like DA:O and Mass Effect series. Maybe if you get too used to that it is hard to start on an old-fashioned style game.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Simply, RT
Spoiler
F
M! :wink:

And welcome to the forums! :P
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!