DM - Amiga Playthrough.

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Darklord
Apprentice

Re: DM - Amiga Playthrough.

Post by Darklord »

That should fix it. :-)

Daniel.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Darklord wrote:a little laughing thief monster!
Yeah, these little buggers are the worst nigtmare. Be glad that they didn't steal anything valuable from you / you were able to get the items back. Do they steal from both hands in RTC? In CSBWin they steal only from the left hand so the easiest protection is to keep your left hand empty if you're in a Giggler-infested area and have a few fireballs prepared to roast them. But of course you have to know you're in such an area. :wink:
Darklord wrote:Is Lightning actually better than a fireball?
Perhaps. I never use it. "4-4-4" is the easiest combination. :wink:
Darklord wrote:At this point there were armadillos everywhere
LOL. They're called "rusters" and originally they were supposed to rust or downgrade your weapons and perhaps other equipment but it has never been implemented in DM - maybe because it was seen as too cruel / nasty, or it was a bug. Dunno.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Darklord
Apprentice

Post by Darklord »

Ah yes, like rust monsters in D&D, many of the monsters seem similar to D&D ones I noticed. (Beholders for example) I don't think any of my weapons have been rusted! :shock: :lol:

Those damn Gigglers made of with a Vorpal Blade! I lost him for a minute but tracked him down thankfully!

This may be my last session for a little while as Legend of Grimrock is out tomorrow and I'm gonna be jumping onto it! I've enjoyed DM though so I will likely return. :)

Daniel.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh, the Delta Blade is a good one - I like weps with the "Thrust" attack for their fast speed and good damage - not as hard-hitting as some weapons, but the speed makes up for it :).
Thieves never drop your stuff once they've stolen it (not in the original DM or CSB, anyway - in DM2 they dump it in a certain corner, depending on which area you're in), so if one does yoink your best sword or a flask or something, don't worry too much - they tend to come running back to you at some point to try and nick something else. I find having at least one Fireball permanently ready to throw is a good idea - you just have to make sure you're facing in the right direction at the time so that you actually have a chance to nuke the little bugger before he nicks something and runs away again :D.
The "armadilloes" are called in my guide "Generic Monsters" so that's what I know them as, but in other guides they're called Rusters because they were suppose to be able to rust your stuff on attack, but for some reason they don't - maybe the mechanic couldn't be implemented, or something. Anyway, yeah, they just bite you and have no attack animation. They're no biggy :).
Vexirks are annoying, as you've found. Anything that can lob a Zo spell is annoying, really ;). The Rats are cool 'cause of the food but I get paranoid about their attack sound because there's something else that makes the same noise...
As for the spell thing, I only really use Fireballs for attacks so I can't speak for Lightning Bolts, really. I do know that Lightning Bolts have botha physical and a magical (or fire, I'm not sure) aspect to their damage, so if something is mostly unharmed by a Fireball, a Lightning Bolt can be better if the mob has less resistance to physical damage, or something. Most spellcasting mobs seem to use Fireballs - I think the only ones that don't are Beholders, since they use Lightning Bolt.
One note on Skeleton keys, and I'll put it in spoiler tags since I can't remember whether you've finished this game before, is that there's
Spoiler
one key too few in the dungeon, so even if you get all of them, there will be one level on which you can't open the lock. So just make sure it's a level you don't intend to be going back to, really ;)
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

The Gigglers steal from both hands in RTC.
There is nothing more satisfying than managing to corner a giggler,and beating it to death with fist and foot.

Re- 'Generic Monster'
Anyone who has a copy of a D&D Monster manual knows what these creatures truly are by their appearance alone.
It is none other than a 'Rust Monster'.And If their attacks in this game had the same effect on armour and weaponry as they do in D@D...Level 9 on DM would have been one hell of a test.

Good progress so far Darklord :)
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If you play Dungeon Master (RTC version) from the menu screen, you would be in for a pleasant/unpleasant surprise...
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

lord soth 75 wrote:There is nothing more satisfying than managing to corner a giggler,and beating it to death with fist and foot.
LOL. So the rumours about the connection of games and violence were true after all. :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Jan wrote: LOL. So the rumours about the connection of games and violence were true after all. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.