Playing CSB for the first time-Will need advice

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
lord soth 75
Adept

Re: Playing CSB for the first time-Will need advice

Post by lord soth 75 »

Gambit37 wrote:The keys and coin slots on this level turn on the "weapon" that I mentioned earlier.
Spoiler
It's a fireball shooter that you re-direct through various blue-haze spinners so that the fireballs go into the heart of the demon's lair...
Ahhh.Iv noticed a Fireball launcher.I just assumed it was a trap or something.
So,you have to switch off the blue hazes by using the Gor coins.

Cool.I'll check that out next time i play.
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Checking out the map in the editor so I can remember where the secret passage is and how to get there - if you decide you really don't want to do the Big Scary Demon Room any more, here are some directions which hopefully will come in useful...
Spoiler
In the east of the level, away from the main Demon room, there is a Ra door with a double-keyhole lock next to it. It appears that either a Key of B or the lockpicks will work on this (with no negative consequences for using the picks).
Spoiler
Go through this door and follow the corridor - it appears that the next door you come across can be activated by either the lockpicks or a Topaz key.
Spoiler
There is a false wall in the next room which leads brings you out on the other side of the Master key door, just around the corner from the Ful-Ya pit.
Note - this route isn't mob-free but my opinion is it's considerably safer than trying to claw your way through all those bloody Demons :D. Also note - my directions are only taken from looking at the map in the editor - hopefully I'm understanding the various triggers and stuff correctly and haven't misunderstood something. But I know I completed the game via that route last time I played it and it worked okay ;).
But good luck with the Demon room if you intend to finish the game via that route - I think that's probably the hardest way to go so I reckon you deserve a fairly large heap of congratulations if you manage to do it that way :D.
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Re "The Weapon": It's not easy to build it. Just don't forget to activate the fireball launcher as the last thing, not the first one. :wink: If you manage to get it working, let us know - I've never been able to do it.

Re "Secret Way": As I said before - try to go as far to the southeast as possible. If you can't go further, look for a small switch on the wall to the east from the Deamon Chamber that re-arranges some walls on this level. In the southeastern corner, you should find a corn, a bread, two rocks and a stick lying on the ground. Once you find them, you're close to the entrance to the secret passage. Go here and there for a while and the entrance opens. Once in there, there are no enemies, just a few traps.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

Need more Gor Coins!!!!!

Adventure Log#29

I don't think im going to be able to activate the fireball weapon.I only have 3 Gor coins,and a couple of iron keys. :(
I used most of my coins in the slot machine room on that little level before the entrance to the DDD.It would be helpful to know how many stages there is in the building of this fireball machine weapon.Many blue hazes and coin slots,and key holes too.If the 2 holes in the wall are the final part to activate,where is the beginning??
Still cant find the secret door.Iv wandered around tonight in the southern area of the level,and no luck.
The Zytas creatures end up surrounding me,and it seems they are regenerating.Thankfully they are quite easy to deal with because they dont cast fireballs.

Im considering trying to find a way back down the dungeon so i can look for more Gor coins,so i can use this fireball launcher against those damn annoying demons.

Iv noticed a couple of locked metal doors on this level too. Where do they lead to? and where is the keyhole?
Freakin game :twisted: :twisted:

DSB Question
Iv just downloaded DSB to my computer because i liked what i was reading about the 'Random Dungeon' custom dungeon.
Only problem is.....My computer illiterate ass doesnt know how to play anything on DSB.
Is DSB a version of the game in which you can copy and paste new games (like in RTC) OR am i doing something wrong??!
If i click on the DSB option after i open the zip file..nothing happens.
What is DSB's eqivalent of 'Modules'?

If im de-railing this thread i apologise.
I just didnt want to start another new thread in the DSB forum asking my noob questions.
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Romero and Carmack NEED to re-group.Modern gaming needs to be saved from the greedy bastards who are ruining it all.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

in DSB, a custom dungeon is a directory, not a single .RTC file. This directory must be created where DSB.exe is located and must contains several .lua files and other resources.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

linflas wrote:in DSB, a custom dungeon is a directory, not a single .RTC file. This directory must be created where DSB.exe is located and must contains several .lua files and other resources.

Iv downloaded the Random dungeon game.
Opened the zip file.
What do i do now?
How do i send the zip files contents to DSB...Do i copy and paste it or something?

:oops:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You should be able to drag and drop files inside a zip file whereever you want them to go. Or there should be a button saying 'extract' that will dump all the files in a folder where you desire.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

:D :D :D Thanks beowuuf!!!!!

I got it. YAY!!! Random dungeon goodness :D :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Glad to be of service!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

lord soth 75 wrote:Still cant find the secret door.Iv wandered around tonight in the southern area of the level,and no luck.
Alright. I'll be very explicit:
Spoiler
Stand at the "Demon Chamber" sign (northern edge of the large room with many demons), look to the north. One step forward. You're facing a wall with a small switch. From here, you should procees to the east. If a wall is blocking your way, press the swith. Now, east, north, east. A pit should be to the east from you. North, 3x east. An alcove should be east from you. South, 2x east, north. A W-E corridor about six or seven tiles long should go to the east now with a few dead-ends going south (two - one with a corn, a bread and a coin and the other with two rocks and a stick) and north (one). You're now close to the entrance to the secret passage. The two dead-ends that lead south can be opened. Walk to the end of the dead-ends, then go back to the W-E corridor and look behind (back to the dead-ends). After a while the dead-ends should disappear and they'll lead you to a strange keyhole for more than one key. It's the beginning of the secret passage. From here you should be able to find the way yourself. Note that the strange keyhole might take more keys than it appears.
Good luck! :D
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

@ Jan

I'm just about to load up CSB.
With your instructions,i am hoping to FINALLY locate this damn hidden door.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

CHAOS CONQUERED!!!

Adventure Log#30

Done it!! :)

I found the secret door by going through an invisible wall,near to an area with doors with demon behind.
Cheers to Jan for the directions. :)

The secret area with the key of b door seems timed? The pressure plate makes a noise,but the secret area didn't seem to open all of the time.
Used the Topaz key on the locked door,and found an area with 4 pressure plate on floor.
Tiny switch in wall,and passable wall led to area with Purple worm hybrids and Lord Chao's. Used the cross of neta to scare lord chaos away,and found the Fulya pit for the corbums.

Game completed.

Note
I saved my game at the Key of b door,and then replayed the section again.I noticed that the lock pick's opened the Topaz key door.But poison filled the 4 pressure plate area afterwards.But progress into the lair of Lord Chaos was unchanged.
So...it would appear,that all you actually need to complete this game is....4 Keys of B,1 set of lockpicks,A Solid Key,An Emerald Key,A Ruby Key,A Turquoise Key.And the 4 Corbum pieces.

***MY CSB CHAMPIONS.FINAL STAT'S***

HALK
Master Fighter-Journeyman Ninja-Artisian Priest-Adept Wizard
Strenght:64
Dexterity:50
Wisdom:44
Vitality:60
Anti-Magic:58
Anti-Fire:59
Health:364-Stamina:231-Mana:96

STAAM BLADECASTER
Master Fighter-Craftsman Ninja-Craftsman Priest-Adept Wizard
Strenght:60
Dexterity:52
Wisdom:47
Vitality:64
Anti-Magic:54
Anti-Fire:76
Health:363-Stamina:265-Mana:103

MOPHUS THE HEALER
Adept Fighter-Novice Ninja-Adept Priest-Master Wizard
Strenght:53
Dexterity:42
Wisdom:56
Vitality:61
Anti-Magic:57
Anti-Fire:60
Health:325-Stamina:174-Mana:179

TIGGY TAMAL
Adept Fighter-Journeyman Ninja-Expert Priest-Master Wizard
Strenght:41
Dexterity:51
Wisdom:66
Vitality:51
Anti-Magic:97
Anti-Fire:53
Health:342-Stamina:158-Mana:218

Game completed in- 78 Hours,64 mins,43 seconds.

**Closing thoughts***
This game has been a fantastic gaming experience.Loved every minute of it.
Now,i am moving into the realm of Custom dungeons.
Which one of you custom Dungeon creators is going to create a custom dungeon for the above heroes to try and defeat? :twisted:
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Congratulations! Well done! :D

78 hours is nothing. It took me literally many hundreds of hours to complete the game for the first time.

CSB has a great replayability. You've missed many places, some things are random. So you can always go back and try it again, doing things in another way, exploring other areas in the dungeon.
lord soth 75 wrote:I noticed that the lock pick's opened the Topaz key door
You can use Topaz Key, or Master Key or Lock Picks on this lock. All these keys open the door but only the Topaz Key disables the poison shooters.
lord soth 75 wrote:4 Keys of B,1 set of lockpicks,A Solid Key,An Emerald Key,A Ruby Key,A Turquoise Key.And the 4 Corbum pieces.
No. As Antman proved, you only need to pick eight items - four corbums and four keys (one of them in a chest with a few other things). CSB is incredible and it has many many secrets and "other ways" of doing things. You can watch Antman's video (it's not too long) - it's in the Minimum Picking Competition mentioned earlier. You can download it here: http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/Competition/ (the "CSBMinimumPickingAntman4.zip")
lord soth 75 wrote:Which one of you custom Dungeon creators is going to create a custom dungeon for the above heroes to try and defeat?
Conflux is similar to CSB in it's complexity and difficulty. Unfortunately, you can't transfer your characters to Conflux. :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

CONGRATULATIONS!

IT's been amazing to watch you play with so little hints compared to the fiendishness of the dungeon (it's still hard with a walkthrough I would imagine!) and determination :D
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

woohoo! Congratulations!

Ive been reading this thread with interest, considering Ive never actually beaten CSB. Congrats! Now, its time for Conflux!

If you thought CSB was amazing and hard, you ain't seen nothing yet!
Conflux III. The most amazing, hard, mindblowing and complicated dungeon ever made. By Zyx.
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 31&t=24512

Also, may I suggest Tower of Champions, by Adamski.
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 31&t=28336

These, IMHO, are two of the longest, complex, and amazing dungeons on this site.

There's plenty of other really great dungeons out there too. Heres a list: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 31&t=23916

You will be able to keep busy for months now!

If you need help any help with installation or running any of them, don't be afraid to PM me.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

beowuuf wrote:(it's still hard with a walkthrough I would imagine!)
That's true. One of my friends gave it up even with a walkthrough and all maps at hand.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey, gratz Lord Soth :D. I think you probably solved CSB faster than most of us ever did :). Now play Conflux, muahahahaha :twisted:.
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

I'm planning on playing CSB again in a week or two.
Now that i know i don't need the Keys of B or The Master Key,im intrigued as to how quickly i will be able to complete the game on a 2nd play through.

The main time consumers would be the Red Dragon fight for the KU key (Somebody said i dont actually need to kill the dragon..but im not sure how you get the key without slaying it),and the Ant Men battle in KU,along with the Giant Spiders (both area's that i assume you have to fight through)
Looking through my notes,there appears no point in fighting the Vexirks or the Death knights on Ku.

RE-'Conflux'
wow.That'll be the 3rd DM game engine emulator that i'll have downloaded.

And once again....Thanks to everyone who provided me with hints and advice on this play through.
All i can say is......CSB. What a Brilliant,Brilliant game!! :D
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

The main time consumers would be the Red Dragon fight for the KU key (Somebody said i dont actually need to kill the dragon..but im not sure how you get the key without slaying it),and the Ant Men battle in KU,along with the Giant Spiders (both area's that i assume you have to fight through)
Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

But if you really want to learn the dungeon in its
entirety, you should get CSBwin and accomplish
the alternative goal of totally cleaning out the
dungeon.....every item and every monster. It
has been done. In fact, I have done it. It forces
you to learn every corner of the dungeon. I
doubt that you have seen half of it.
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

@ Paul

Thanks for the info.
Iv now got RTC,and DSB.
I'll download the CSBwin version next,and try that out too.

I played on the DSB random dungeon game earlier this week,and it was good fun.The main problem i had with it was that it wasn't in a full screen mode,and the random dungeon game would be about 100 times better if you were allowed to start the game armed a weapon.
I tried about 20 random dungeons and nearly EVERY time...there was nothing to use against the immediate onslaught of Mummies and screamers.
The majority of the time you just get mobbed by mummies and gigglers...and there is nothing to hit them back with. :(

The random dungeon looks better on paper than it is to actually play. Sadly. :(

For the last few days i have been playing Zed's new RTC dungeon....and its fantastic. Its my first time playing a proper custom dungeon and im greatly looking forward to playing all of the other creations.

I'll download CSBwin later today.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

lord soth 75 wrote:The main time consumers would be the Red Dragon fight for the KU key (Somebody said i dont actually need to kill the dragon..but im not sure how you get the key without slaying it),and the Ant Men battle in KU,along with the Giant Spiders (both area's that i assume you have to fight through)
As Paul said, if you want a "speedrun", you don't even have to visit the whole lower KU area! But, a "slowrun" (cleaning the whole dungeon) is also fun, especially for someone who's not familiar with the whole dungeon - you've missed large parts of it!

I don't want to bring this too off-topic, but:
lord soth 75 wrote:I played on the DSB random dungeon game earlier this week,and it was good fun.The main problem i had with it was that it wasn't in a full screen mode,and the random dungeon game would be about 100 times better if you were allowed to start the game armed a weapon.
I tried about 20 random dungeons and nearly EVERY time...there was nothing to use against the immediate onslaught of Mummies and screamers.
I had a similar problem at first, too. But don't worry, you'll soon find a good weapon. To deal with the beginning of the dungeon, save your game as soon as the game starts (so that it doesn't change every time) and then explore the surrounding area, find a good spot to fight the mummies, then load your game and run there fast - you'll defeat them sooner or later.
lord soth 75 wrote:For the last few days i have been playing Zed's new RTC dungeon....and its fantastic.
Zed is a fantastic dungeon creator. He must have made a dozen of dungeons. Some of them are quite short and use basically only the DM1 graphics, some are simply huge and use completely new graphics and mechanics (like Ravenhood... or was it Ravenwood?).
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

@ Jan

How is it possible to clean the dungeon when there is re-spawning monsters?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think clean as in grab all the items and rid of all the permanent monsters, though many of the spawning areas in CSB actually have a hard limit. Not all of them though! You'll always get Oitus in the four way door puzzle around neta, but the flood of mummies on the Ku path can eventually be stemmed!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

You'll always get Oitus in the four way door puzzle
No....it is perfectly possible to rid the dungeon
of all items and all monsters. Stop stepping on the
pressure pads that cause the monsters to
regenerate and they will be gone.

I think the only thing you have to be 100 percent
careful of is that you clean out the 'Prison' in the
right order. Otherwise it will become impossible.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

But...the pressure plates are there! It's too tempting! :(

Interesting, so cleaning out CSB is possible? That's quite cool! Dm had one or two choke points where carrying onwards always generated a monster behind you... and I think level four might have had a two-way version of that on the worm level, where a screamer generated behind you as you walked on, but doubling back generated a rock monster. There was a fake wall at that point, but I don't remember if that let you bypass the invisible pad. Maybe the generator had a long cool down so you could kill the rock monster without generating a new one.

Certainly, you needed to finish on level 3 to avoid generating a trolin in the creature caverns
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

@ Paul Stevens

How do you know when you have found ALL of the items though?
I thought CSB was different each time you start a new game.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Some things are different, yes - some items are randomly distributed after you start (items such as the lockpicks and erm, Dragon shield and stuff like that) 'cause they're on Thieves in some hidden location who get teleported to random places in the dungeon at some point - those that get teleported into a wall alcove instantly die and their loot drops into the alcove. That's why you may return to "Supplies for the Quick" at a later point and think "Hang on, this item wasn't here last time...".
At least, that's what I read somewhere on this forum a few years back :D.
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

How do you know when you have found ALL of the items though?
There is a menu selection (Under the 'Misc' menu)
that tells you which items and monsters you have
missed. It even tells you where they are!
lord soth 75
Adept

Post by lord soth 75 »

One of you custom dungeon designer supremo's should make CSB 2.

'Chaos strikes back..Again'
'Chaos strikes back with a vengeance'

The list of titles for such a sequel is probably infinite. :D
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

lord soth 75 wrote:One of you custom dungeon designer supremo's should make CSB 2.
I think this is your job now. Go and do it! :D

Oh, and I think it's Beowuuf who carries the honorary title of "Dungeon Master Supremo!" :)
Paul Stevens wrote:There is a menu selection (Under the 'Misc' menu)
that tells you which items and monsters you have
missed. It even tells you where they are!
But this applies to CSBWin only whereas LS plays it under RTC.