First (grownup) stab at CSB

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Cincinnatus
Neophyte

First (grownup) stab at CSB

Post by Cincinnatus »

Hey All,

Been lurking here on and off for a year or two. I found CSBWin a year ago during a fit of nostalgia and spent an awful lot of time browsing the DM forums.

I have stayed mostly out of the CSB forums because I could never come close to beating it as a little kid on my parents' Atari ST, and didn't want spoilers.

I am, however, pretty dang good at DM - I know every level more or less by heart, and exclusively play solo runs, usually with absurd conditions applied (eg: solo run with only a dagger as my weapon and no clothes + no magic) etc.

This presents for me a problem now that I want to play CSB during my less busy (work-wise) summer months.

Should I take a party of four through the DM dungeon and build them up, or is there a combination of CSB heroes that's worthy of a first run? I've never been very impressed with the people (creatures?) in the CSB hall of champions, even though their pictures seemed super-cool as a kid (ok, Plague is still awesome).

Alternately, would I be OK trying a solo run the first time? I'm taking Wuuf through the DM dungeon right now, but I suspect even at high levels he'll be suboptimal so maybe better to start over? (no, I do not have the time/patience to get high-master in multiple stats).

Sorry for the long first post, I'm just super-excited to get into CSB but would like some veteran advice on how to build my party as I know it's a whole different animal from DM.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: First (grownup) stab at CSB

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums! Nice to see people still come back to DM and still hold CSB as a scary memory to beat :)

Personally I solo'd with one of the CSB characters my first time. The CSB champions are not actually as good as a DM character that's gone through, so if you do import characters you've prepared earlier you would be fine. I wouldn't advise reincarnation of any new characters, because CSB reduces the stats (one of the few differences between the two) and you do want a decent level/stat of character

I personally took Aroc (bird guy) as he had a decent combination of magic and fighter. You know the benefits of a single character, obviously you lose the carryiong capacity and attack/magic potential of a full party. However, once you get to know CSB there are very easy places to put items as a store, and usually easy ways to get back to that store.

If you have a Wuuf with good magic in wizard and priest, and decent fighter/ninja then you should find him a good companion for a first run. At the very least, even if you find a solo game in CSB too hard, exploration is still so important that it would not be a wasted play through, and you could then play with a bigger group knowing the dungeon and resources. CSB is non-linear (in fact its quite circular) so knowing how to navigate around is far more important than knowing the solutions to some of the puzzles.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Hello, Cincin, and welcome to the forums! :D

Good that you've decided to beat CSB finally - it's an incredible game and you'll certainly enjoy it, I promise. :)

Like you, I've also never liked the CSB un-human characters. So I prefer to take my DM character to CSB. I always use a single character only these days, although before I'd used the "proper" number of four and the idea of a solo run occurred to me only later when I wanted to make the game "harded" (as you with the knife only :wink: ).

Honestly, I really don't know if playing CSB for the first time with one character only is the best idea - two characters seem optimal for the first play, they give you more firepower and carrying capacity but you still don't have so many stomachs to feed ans still can dodge the fireballs. I don't know if Wuuf is the best option either - he should be rather weak. I usually take a stronger character with better carrying capacity. Remember that you'll be carrying a lot of things, and if I say a lot, I do mean a lot.

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed! :P
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey, welcome Cin and good luck on your starting CSB :). I did try to solo DM once and did it with Wuuf, then took him through into CSB and got stuck in a room where monsters kept respawning outside when I stepped on a particular square in the corridor and I couldn't kill enough of them before running out of mana in order to escape :P.
I've never played CSB with a CSB party - I've always taken through my DM party. I always play as a duo now, for pretty much all the reasons stated by Jan above :).

Post by Cincinnatus »

So it sounded like two is twice as good as one for a first run. I took Chani and Wutse (Mulan in this game), looking for chars with decent balance across all their abilities in anticipation of needing to survive CSB. Chani is maybe my hands-down favorite DM char for solo runs, but Wutse looked (on paper) comparable if not a little more sturdy. Well turns out Chani ended up the better all-around character, not only in terms of ending stats, but also felt more survivable throughout the game. I'm worried Wutse's constant hunger will be a problem in CSB...but I may have just had her load too close to yellow for most of the game.

Leveled them in constant parity, killed everything on every level just about, but only really trained at the very end in the Dragon's lair to get my magic-user levels up one more notch each. Basically stopped leveling when I ran out of water after completing the firestaff. Here's where I ended up...I have a save just before freeing the power Gem that I could use to level up further if this build is too weak to be viable. They look, to my eyes at least, as sturdy as any of the CSB champions...

Wutse - Expert fighter, Adept ninja, Lo Master priest, On Master wizard
Health - 460
Stam - 141
Mana - 187
Str - 51
Dex - 47
Wis - 64
Vit - 57
AM - 63
AF - 46

Chani - same levels as Wutse
Health - 464
Stam - 196
Mana - 188
Str - 53
Dex - 58
Wis - 72
Vit - 42
AM - 65
AF - 47
Cincinnatus
Neophyte

Post by Cincinnatus »

Update:

I've taken them into CSB...mapping this is an adventure unto itself. Chose Neta as my starting way, after a little frustration nabbing all the 'supplies for the quick'.
Spoiler
Including at one point taking 200 falling damage and the being asked to surrender all my possessions...I reloaded :roll:
Been exciting and terrifying so far. Nuggets so far have been one area on my map labeled "terrible terrible room"
Spoiler
the room full of screamers and spiders...I eventually killed them all and don't *think* they respawn
. I also was lucky to guess a useful direction the first time in the
Spoiler
area with the endless flood of munchers
. That section of my map simply says "munchers!...lost?" I also really enjoyed
Spoiler
herding mummies
but I wish I had figured out how to press that 'inaccessible' button in the same room. :(

I'm at the entryway to the
Spoiler
Diabolical Demon Director
....probably a good place to take a break and let me nerves have a rest. The hint oracle's "welcome" was menacing enough that I won't be going forward tonight any further.

Man, this is fun.

Also....I was convinced at first that the
Spoiler
little grey vexirx
was immortal. What a beast! After wiping me out once, I decided not to waste my mana
Spoiler
on fireballs to which he seems to be immune (he took eight MON to the face and kept on ticking!)
and just chopped him into pieces, instead. Throw in a couple
Spoiler
MON poison bolts
, and he went down nicely.

General question....it *is* possible to gain levels in CSB, right? I feel like I've done a lot and not gained any levels at all...but I guess in all likelihood the mapping just makes it feel like more than it really is...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe, of course it's possible to gain levels, don't worry :). The levels you have are pretty standard for an end-of-DM party, although I think people's Wizard levels are usually slightly lower (my party tends to be around Expert/Lo Master in everything except Ninja, where they're about Journeyman 'cause I don't bother with that skill too much) so you have a bit of an advantage there (unless that was the levels with the Pendant Feral/Firestaff equiped, which give more free levels, one each unless the Power Gem is added in which case the Firestaff grants two Wizzy levels instead of one).
Anyway, one thing you may or may not know about the DDD -
Spoiler
all four of the Ways (Ku, Ros, Dain, Neta) lead there
, so it would probably be advisable to
Spoiler
complete each Way as far as the DDD first before you tacke that section - it can be pretty tough ;)
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Funnily Neta is as much about not fighting as fighting. The screamer death summons the Oitu, and the tough Vexirk can be cornered and will 'surrender' giving you things!

You characters sound more powerful than most CSB guys - which also means they won't advance levels that much until you are consistently at the 'top' of the dungeon. There are depth/height multipliers to explierience in DM/CSB and of course each level is twice as difficult to get.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Good start! NETA is one of the easier ways but with not enough food. I'm quite impressed by the speed with which you made it to DDD! Very promising! :P
Cincinnatus wrote:the room full of screamers and spiders...I eventually killed them all and don't *think* they respawn
Spoiler
Wrong.
:twisted: By the way,
Spoiler
everytime you kill a screamer in this room, a spider comes to kill you. So if you leave the screamers alone, or lure them into another room and kill them there, the spiders don't appear. And the screamers do respawn.
Cincinnatus wrote:I wish I had figured out how to press that 'inaccessible' button in the same room
An access to that button appears
Spoiler
together with opening the door to the continuation of that level (after you've imprisoned all four mummies).
But there's nothing vitally important there, so don't worry.
Cincinnatus wrote:and just chopped him into pieces, instead
There actually are more human, civilised ways of getting rid of him. These ways are also more rewarding. But it's too late now. Not that if that mattered - you can finish the game anyway, so - again - don't worry.
Cincinnatus wrote:it *is* possible to gain levels in CSB, right?
As Ameena said, indeed. But it's very slow. You already have quite high levels and on NETA you haven't encountered too many strong enemies, believe me. You'll gain your levels later. But CSB is non-linear and gaining levels is not that important here as in DM. You simply progress here in different ways and you can finish the game with gaining only a few new levels.

Good luck in DDD or wherever you decide to go now! :)
Cincinnatus
Neophyte

Post by Cincinnatus »

Update:

I cleared out the demons and rock monsters populating the section of the DDD that I ended up in. Explored a bit and mapped the area as best I could. Never got the nerve up to try to blast my way through the
Spoiler
room full of Black Flames
...some vorpal blades sure would be nice... :(

After a bit of falling down holes and backtracking, I got myself back to the junction of ways - apparently Chaos was throwing me a bone when he asked me to "trust him", because it worked out alright for me.

Decided to give KU a shot. First thing I did was put my old sword on the ground when I picked up
Spoiler
Biter...and it DISAPPEARED
. Had an interesting experience in that my first time through I got to an area with several pits, ended up falling into one, and eventually ended up in a poison trap and died...when I reloaded from the beginning of KU again
Spoiler
the area beyond the vi alter was totally different! argh!
. I made several abortive runs through KU, each time ending up lost and cornered by one or more Deth Knights. I am not ready for Ku, I think.

Made it back, after a few saves, to the junction of the ways and ended up giving Dain a shot. Much better. After killing the
Spoiler
same
spiders
Spoiler
over and over and over
, and bumping my head into a bunch of teleporters while mapping, I ended up in a nice, terrifying area
Spoiler
full of laughing pits and pesky ghost-things
. Turned my trusty Des-Ew gun to repeat and let 'er rip. Never did get that area well mapped, though. I am getting lazy about mapping in areas that feel self-contained within the ways...maybe not the best habit. Anyway, ended up, somehow, back at the DDD. Went up to find all the baddies had respawned, so I cleared a path to the one route I know to lead somewhere useful - back to the starting level.

Got the starting level pretty well mapped out now. Supplies for the quick was nice enough to furnish me with a bunch more swag - though I must say I am carrying a lot of junk around, and am dressed rather funnily at this point in mismatched pieces of epic armor and leather pants, for example. Decide to try my hand at Ku again and quickly find myself back in that
Spoiler
accursed dragon's lair.
Decide I am tired of eating screamer for sustenance, so I down a few KU potions and make short work of
Spoiler
ol' Mr Lizard
. Got some nice gear from it when all was said and done.

Alas, now I am frustrated (with Dain), and terrified (of KU). Taking a break, then maybe I will see what fun ways there are to die in ROS...

Whee :shock:
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Wow! That sounds like some pretty fast ride full of adrenaline there! :P I do admire your bravery. :)

Re different ways: if I were you, I'd either finish the NETA path (its upper part behind DDD) now, or go for either KU or ROS. DAIN is pretty damn hard, so I'd leave it for now.

I guess you don't want us to give you any advice and to spoil you your adventure, but I can't resist to make a few comments. Ignore me if you don't want to have it spoiled.
Cincinnatus wrote:some vorpal blades sure would be nice.
I wonder where you could find
Spoiler
that sort of supplies
? :)
Cincinnatus wrote:I picked up Biter
Have you looked at the sword carefully? It's
Spoiler
cursed
!
Cincinnatus wrote:it DISAPPEARED
Cincinnatus wrote:the area beyond the vi alter was totally different!
I think you might be beginning to understand the nature of the Junction.
Cincinnatus wrote:I am not ready for Ku, I think.
You are. Just don't panic and be careful.
Cincinnatus wrote:I am carrying a lot of junk around, and am dressed rather funnily at this point in mismatched pieces of epic armor and leather pants, for example
:lol: Yeah, that's quite typical. Personally, I don't bother wearing any armour in CSB at all and I usually end up wearing the same pathetic blue, grey or green clothes from the starting room.
Cincinnatus wrote:make short work of ol' Mr Lizard. Got some nice gear from it when all was said and done
There's
Spoiler
one particular, small item you have to get from him
Spoiler
It's a key. If you have it
, there's basically no need to be
Cincinnatus wrote:terrified (of KU)
although there's still a lot of exploration and fancy stuff left.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe, I always do Ku first 'cause I find it the easiest - the Dragon at the bottom is easy with the good ol' step dance, just like the one back in DM :). As far as I can remember, the Knights are only at one point in that section of Ku - the room with
Spoiler
the axe, Executioner, as the back
. If you're quick enough (and know where you're going), you can probably avoid these guys without any major trouble. Alternatively you can take them on one at a time before doing anything else in that room...
Dain is generally acknowledged as being the hardest of the four Ways, so maybe you'll want to leave that one for a while and get Ku and Ros out of the way first.
As noted in the spoiler tags in my last post regarding the DDD -
Spoiler
you will find your way back there repeatedly because all four Ways eventually lead there
. It's kind of
Spoiler
another Junction of the Ways, linking "Part One" of each Way into "Part Two"
. The idea is that you obtain a particular
Spoiler
key from each Way before the DDD, which then lets you into "Part Two" within the DDD area
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Ameena wrote:the Dragon at the bottom is easy with the good ol' step dance,
Provided, of course, that you know what you're doing and especially where you're doing it and don't
Spoiler
spawn a flood of worms
. Generally speaking, these things look easy and straightforward if you know what to do but can turn into a major disaster if you don't know the place.
Ameena wrote:As far as I can remember, the Knights are only at one point in that section of Ku - the room with
Spoiler
the axe, Executioner, as the back
Plus, they (
Spoiler
one or two if you're unlucky / not careful
) are also at the
Spoiler
entrance to the Vexirks' hall
. Although, again here you can avoid a battle with them if you know how, of course. :wink:
Cincinnatus
Neophyte

Post by Cincinnatus »

Back to it after a bit of a break due to real life workload getting in the way (not to mention the Olympics).

Made my way back to Neta for awhile but didn't find much new. Got the
Spoiler
staff
from the mummy room this time through. Still don't have the patience/cojones to explore much of the muncher area. Got back to the DDD and fought my way to the stairs down in the room full of black flames...what a bummer that turned out to be...

Made a brief run through KU again, got the
Spoiler
executioner
. The
Spoiler
deth knights
were much easier taken out one at a time.

Took a shot at ROS. Lots of fun and a nice easy breather relative to the other areas
Spoiler
though I did find myself facing quite a flood of worms in the bottom level at one point
. Made my way (eventually) back to the DDD, now lugging around a
Spoiler
chest full of GOR coins
, not to mention
Spoiler
a delightful green gem I've stolen
, as well as
Spoiler
an awful lot of dragon steaks
. The only area I haven't explored (that I know of) in ROS is the
Spoiler
death row
, which from the sound of it is not a place I necessarily want to be spending time if I can help it. I did find it interesting that
Spoiler
within two rooms of where I used my onyx key, I found *another* onyx key - I think on a deth knight

Decided to take a break after a couple hrs of playing (amazing that people can do this game in <1hr, let alone <10 mins). Still perturbed that the DDD seems to rely so much on luck with respect to where enemies spawn to get anything done. Pushing around
Spoiler
rock piles with poison clouds
tends to kill them, so I have to rest again, which wastes food and water...big time killer. I'm also convinced that the
Spoiler
black flame room
has to be a red herring. I can see a key in one corner, but the amount of effort it'd take to get there seems barely worth it, especially if it's just
Spoiler
another damn gold key, of which I have plenty right now

Curious where this sudden flood of
Spoiler
GOR coins
will come in handy...maybe just dead weight/red herring. Let's hope not for now.

I've been through each of the ways so far and have a variety of neat magic toys, not to mention quite a few magical keys. Still nothing to open the doors in the chamber(s) leading to the DDD, though. Also still haven't
Spoiler
killed the dragon under the DDD
. Guess I could take a stab at that, but the
Spoiler
prolific pits
in the area make it hard.

Fun fact worth noting - my insistence on carrying around tons of stuff means I am constantly chugging KU potions. As a result my STR is rarely below 100 for either of my characters. Very satisfying to "berzerk" with Executioner and deal triple-digit damage :twisted:

Anyway, good fun so far. Need to ponder for awhile and come back fresh later.
Cincinnatus
Neophyte

Post by Cincinnatus »

Update:

Cleared out KU pretty thoroughly I think. Did the
Spoiler
fighter's charge
bottom-to-top, but no sweat there. Left poor Mr Scorpion at the top alive...he seemed lonely. :cry:

Back, now, at the DDD.....*sigh*...at some point I'll figure out where I am supposed to go here. Can't seem to get past the first couple rooms in this accursed place.

True story - on one of my attempts at the DDD prior to going back through KU, I fell in a pit and landed on the dragon below. Alas, I was in such bad shape already I ended up having to restart soon thereafter - should have saved immediately and gone a bit slower. Lesson learned. It'd be nice to have him dead.

[edit: update to the update]

Took another swing at the DDD. Finally made my way back past the
Spoiler
false wall area
...I think I'd been back there once before on my first trip into the DDD, and got
Spoiler
smashed by a golem
, then forgot about it.

Got the
Spoiler
KU corbum
with little drama. Poor dragons never knew what hit them.
Spoiler
NETA corbum
was a bit hairier...the
Spoiler
fireball corridor
was brutal, but I ultimately prevailed.

I'd like to get back to
Spoiler
where ROS and NETA
split, but not sure how best to do that. Tried going back through the DDD, and ended up dead-ended at the
Spoiler
DAIN door
, the only one for which I don't yet have a key.

I think I'm done for the evening. Quite an adventure.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Well done! Your progress is very good! :P

Re Death Row: don't worry about that - you don't need to go there and, more importantly, you don't want to go there. The door can only be opened from the other side and you only get there if you screw things up on the upper levels.

Re Black Flame Room in DDD: again, you don't have to go there but if you manage to defeat the flames you'll be rewarded. The key you see in the corner is not gold - it's one of the keys that you don't need but that can become very useful. It's the
Spoiler
Sapphire
key. Does it ring a bell? It's used to open the door to the
Spoiler
"Vending alcove"
Spoiler
one level below
(at the
Spoiler
entrance to the DDD
). In turn, this place solves your problems with too many coins. :)

Re Dragon under the DDD: you don't need to kill him, it's just a trap. However, he can be killed easily if you use a certain trick.
Spoiler
Don't enter his lair - kill him exactly from the square with the opening / closing wall. Open the wall, step directly onto it, cast a few fireballs on the dragon, chop once or twice and step back (the wall closes). Rest to gain some mana and repeat it. If you enter the room, the wall closes - then don't use the stairs down, but those up - they lead to the Black Flame Room
. But, as I said, you don't have to do this, you can just ignore the whole place.

Re How to get to the ROS and NETA split: dunno, I just go back to the start, then to the DDD entrance - it's certainly not the fastest way, but I know it. :roll:

Re DAIN key: oh, my, we haven't solved the formidable Couatl Room, have we? :wink:
Cincinnatus
Neophyte

Post by Cincinnatus »

Jan wrote:
Re Black Flame Room in DDD: again, you don't have to go there but if you manage to defeat the flames you'll be rewarded. The key you see in the corner is not gold - it's one of the keys that you don't need but that can become very useful. It's the
Spoiler
Sapphire
key. Does it ring a bell? It's used to open the door to the
Spoiler
"Vending alcove"
Spoiler
one level below
(at the
Spoiler
entrance to the DDD
). In turn, this place solves your problems with too many coins. :)
Oh dear, now I *want* to kill the flames just to say I've done it. Not sure it seems feasible though. Even with FUL BRO NETA, I get annihilated within seconds. Each flame seems to easily absorb four or so MON DES EW, and my mana pool, prolific as it may be, is not enough to take them all out, let alone fight my way back through them once I get the key (they seem to respawn far more quickly than those in DM did).
Jan wrote:Re Dragon under the DDD: you don't need to kill him, it's just a trap. However, he can be killed easily if you use a certain trick.
Spoiler
Don't enter his lair - kill him exactly from the square with the opening / closing wall. Open the wall, step directly onto it, cast a few fireballs on the dragon, chop once or twice and step back (the wall closes). Rest to gain some mana and repeat it. If you enter the room, the wall closes - then don't use the stairs down, but those up - they lead to the Black Flame Room
. But, as I said, you don't have to do this, you can just ignore the whole place.
I went with Eye of Time + about 12 MON OH VEN. He died *very* quickly.
Jan wrote:Re How to get to the ROS and NETA split: dunno, I just go back to the start, then to the DDD entrance - it's certainly not the fastest way, but I know it. :roll:
That may have to be the approach I take. Could be worse.
Jan wrote: Re DAIN key: oh, my, we haven't solved the formidable Couatl Room, have we? :wink:
Haven't got there yet. Dain was scawwy without vorpal blades :oops:
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, I see, you have no Vorpal blades - that also explains your troubles in the Fire Room. Note that there are
Spoiler
two
Vorpal baldes in the game:
Spoiler
one in the Supplies for the Quick and the other close to the Couatl Room

The fires in the Fire Room are spawned by you entering the DDD level - they "queue" (or, to be more precise, AFAIK some of them don't respawn at all). (*) So if you had done that area for the first time you had entered the DDD you would have only met one fire per pit. Now you're in troubles. I suggest you blast them from a distance and when one disappears you wait for some time to make sure there's no other fire "waiting in the queue" in the pit. Note that there are also some "safe spots" in the area - stairs down to the left, stairs up in the front of you and the corridor to the "enter the pit". Perhaps you can use these spots to rest?

(*) Paul Stevens would explain it more correctly.
Cincinnatus
Neophyte

Post by Cincinnatus »

After several tries, figured out the Couatl Chamber. Got the two keys I think I need from DAIN.

Went back through the DDD and I think I used the cross key in the wrong lock...ended up back in an area I'm already familiar with.

Managed to release a literal flood of demons and creepy black ghosts. I think I did something wrong somewhere. More or less every square on that floor seems to now contain demons, worms, or ghosts...might be bad. All I wanted was to find the route to the DAIN corbum...whoops :roll:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think you may have gone up one level too far in your search for the Corbum Pillar there ;).
Just so you know, the key you need from Dain (to get to the Corbum) is the
Spoiler
Ruby Key
:).
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

LOL, I think Ameena is right, you're in a slightly wrong place. :mrgreen:

Re Cross Key / Lock: It does lead to the DAIN route. If you use it on the DDD level, the route is a little bit complicated but if you keep going to the
Spoiler
southeast
you should sooner or later come to the DAIN door / lock. If you had used the
Spoiler
key one level below first (use the stairs where the demon was on a pressure pad) the key wouldn't have disappeared and using it on the DDD level later
would have saved you a lot of trouble. Never mind now. Just keep going to the
Spoiler
southeast
from the DDD entrance now.

I just can't see how you managed to miss the DAIN door AND get to the place where you're now after using the cross key. :shock:
Cincinnatus
Neophyte

Post by Cincinnatus »

Jan wrote:
I just can't see how you managed to miss the DAIN door AND get to the place where you're now after using the cross key. :shock:
What can I say, I'm talented? :roll:

I did get the
Spoiler
Ruby Key
, so that's a plus. No going back to the JoW for this guy anymore (hopefully?)

What's crazy is I figured out the door with the demon+trapdoor puzzle, went downstairs, saw the cross key lock, and then went back upstairs and tried the key in lock there first. Alas.

I think I'll be finding my way to the SE corner of the safer and more familiar floor to snag that DAIN corbum before I peek my head back upstairs at all again...come to think of it I still need to go back through the DDD for the ROS corbum, too. So that mob of bad guys will just have to chill on the upper floor feeling crowded for awhile.... 8)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If you got hold of the following keys -
Spoiler
Solid (Ku)
Spoiler
Emerald (Ros)
, Ruby (Dain)[/spoiler], and erm,
Spoiler
Turquoise (Neta)
, then you should have all you need to access the upper areas and complete the game. Even then, not all the keys are necessary. It's possible to
Spoiler
sneak around the Corbum Pillar via false pits at one point and grab two pieces of Corbum in on visit
. I can't remember entirely, but I think the bit where you can do that is
Spoiler
from the Ros and Dain sides of the pillar, so good news for you I think ;)
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, come on, you just can't finish CSB without visiting the upper ROS with its astonishing
Spoiler
Pit Maze
! :) :twisted:
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Eventually everybody really should try the 'Alternate' goal
provided by CSBwwin.....kill every creature and collect
every item. Until you have done that, you cannot say
that you have played all of Chaos Strikes Back.

But for now, any method of filling the Ful Ya Pit with
Corbum is one-hundred percent valid. There is no such
thing as 'cheating' the first time through.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I've been trying this game out again, the last week or so. I've never finished it.
Spoiler
(I believe I even purchased it, when it first came out.[
spoiler] Was this, in fact, a marketed game in the beginning?)[/spoiler]
I didn't even find the key to open the door to the left of the entrance to the DDD.
Spoiler
Talk about missing out on the waterhole
I tried it again, a year or two back. I gave up before getting by the energy field behind the fire demons.

This time, I took my time, choosing Toadrot and Ven. Once I gathered a couple of flasks, I ignored water and food, focusing on my fighter weaponry.
Eventually, especially after the 'wimpo' dragon area (many pits and false walls), food was plentiful, so stamina isn't as much a factor.
I blasted the door in the dragons' den, then stood in the doorway, slugging it out with one dragon at a time. Fireshield and healing spells, of course.
(Thanks to the creators, who gave us plenty of dragons in CSB)

I found the key to the door below the DDD, so that was a nice bonus.

I'm actually finding areas I don't even remember, so some of it seems like the first time.
Hope I can get that energy field puzzle figured out this time.

P.S. Hello everyone. It's been awhile since I've had time to visit.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

choosing Toadrot and Ven.
Ahhhhh! That's nice. Good choice.
I'm actually finding areas I don't even remember,
That is not unexpected. Play it again and you will
have the same experience again.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome back! :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Welcome back MasterWuuf! I hope your maddening exploits in CSB don't make you run away again in terror! ;-)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, welcome back! Goooood that you finally decided to play and finish CSB, gooood, goooood. :twisted: Good luck with it and keep us informed! :)

Which version are you playing? CSBWin?

I'm not quite sure what you mean with the "energy field behind demons" - what / where is it?