The Dumbest way I died...

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Re: The Dumbest way I died...

Post by oh_brother »

Sasha wrote:Sleeping, drinking, sleeping, drinking.
Sounds like fun actually.

But yeah, the whole dying of thirst/starvation is not fun. It used to happen to me in CSB back in the day all the time, before I was brave enough to go head-to-head with dragons.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

oh_brother wrote:
Yeah. It reminds me my Master's degree studies. :wink:

EDIT: And, yeah, to get back on track, welcome to the forums, Sasha! :D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Babe Bridou
Journeyman

Post by Babe Bridou »

oh_brother wrote: But yeah, the whole dying of thirst/starvation is not fun. It used to happen to me in CSB back in the day all the time, before I was brave enough to go head-to-head with dragons.
The game forced you to go hunt for food and water. It's one of those "emergent quests" in CSB that I do first every time I play this game: secure a supply line, re-learn to get from the junction to the fountain, from the junction to the worms in level 0 (or 5). Once the supply line is working (which is definitely fun/challenging to do when you have only one reincarnated character and only remember vaguely the general directions), the food & water meters become nothing but a mechanism to prevent the party from training during the day while you go to work.

I say overall the implementation of food/water is more fun than what the game would be without (ie: only XP from killing stuff for party balance purposes). What do you think?

But this is off topic. The dumbest way I died was trying playing the whole of CSB just for one thing: to fall from level 8 (or is it 9?) down to level 0 into the "surrender your possession" pit by picking up all items from an alcove. Or something like that (my memory/knowledge of CSB is failing me). And I failed. I think I accidentally closed the pit at level 4 or 5 (don't remember) somewhere along the way and didn't notice fast enough for a restart or something like that. Still died from the fall. It didn't make me feel any less dumb.

edit: I need to stop using parenthesis (like right now).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

RTC actually made it fatal, which is less fun than the original where you could use YA poitions to stave it off until you backtracked or found some new source.
frank1974
Novice

Post by frank1974 »

Fireballs into the wall your looking at, check.
Run into your own fireball, check.
Getting trapped under closing doors, check.
Walking into walls again and again, check.
As long as you have saved regularly its not so bad.
Spending an hour or more leveling up and then killing your self with your own fireball because you forgot to drink a health potion or two!

That hurts, that really hurts, oh God why, why do i keep doing that.
Sasha
Journeyman

Post by Sasha »

Jan wrote:
oh_brother wrote:
Yeah. It reminds me my Master's degree studies. :wink:

EDIT: And, yeah, to get back on track, welcome to the forums, Sasha! :D
Thanks ! I admit that I've been reading these forums for years, without taking the time to leave a message.

Now, the greatest way i died : I opened my Conflux III folder, and launched CSBwin.exe .
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

he he he, welcome Sa left rights
keep your gor coin handy
Monoven
Novice

Post by Monoven »

One time some bad luck and a little mistake on level 2 in DM led to a chain of events that forced me to completely restart the game two levels later.

I had a resurrected party of Hissssa, Zed, Wuuf, and Gothmog and was fighting the group of mummies that are past the big room where you get the first flasks. For the first time since the last few fights, Wuuf decided he needed more practice with his fireball spell and I drained his mana to no effect. One of Gothmog's fireballs missed when they stepped out of the way and then I messed up and shot his second one on the wrong side of the screen.

I went hand to hand because my magic users couldn't use their throwing weapons and the mummies promptly killed Zed and beat Hissssa to within an inch of his life before I ran away. But as a panicked wee'un on his Atari ST, I pressed a move key instead of a turn, slammed into the wall and down went Hissssa. I managed to get away, recover, and kill off the mummies. Then, with two dead fighters on my hands, I saved the game. >_<

For some dumb reason, I thought it would be better to work my way to the Alter of Vi on level three(since I only needed three gold keys to get to it). Carrying stuff became a problem because Wuuf and Gothmog weren't strong enough to hold everything I thought I needed and stay out of the yellow. Long story short, I started eating every piece of food I came across and didn't realize I wouldn't have enough when I revived everybody. I got to level 4, but after the first set of worms, my food was completely in the red, and I was losing stamina faster than I could replace it with potions(A couple times guys died in their sleep when their stamina bottomed out).

After consulting a guide, I realized there was no way I'd be able to pick up enough food to get me to the Screamer room so I started a new game(this time I took more care about when I saved).
Last edited by Monoven on Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol :D. It's funny the mistakes some of us made "back in the day" :). How come you didn't just take the bones back up one level and rez them there, or did you not think of it at the time? I'm guessing you hung onto a lot of your loot if two characters were getting encumbered that early in the game - I play as a duo these days and one of those characters is (reincarnated) Wuuf (the other is Hissssa, also reincarnated) and he manages fine ;). I suppose reloading was much more of a problem back then, what with loading times and disk-swapping, ahh I remember all that :D.
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

LOL, yeah, as Ameena said, it might look weird nowadays - when you screw things up you just reload your game - but back then it was sometimes faster to go on. Plus we're all much more experienced now and we know every corner of the dungeon so we sometimes wonder - geee, how is it possible that I was so scared on the worm level and I kept dying and had to restart all the game... :wink:

Nowadays I play with one character only so it's kind of... binary... either you're dead or alive but there's no "partly-dead-partly-alive". :roll:

And welcome to the forums, Monoven! :D
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Monoven
Novice

Post by Monoven »

Heh, thanks :)

I probably didn't think of going back up at the time because DM was one of the first RPG-type games I played so the concept of being able to go back a to level I had "finished" in a video game was still slightly odd to me. I got over it while running up for water from level 3 but by then it was too late. Still, if it wasn't a dumb decision it wouldn't belong in this section. :wink:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Welcome to the forums. Always to good to hear stories of dumb dungeon deaths. And that's a clever username ;-)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

It may not be the dumbest way I've died but it definitely was the most irritating way I've died...power went out. WAAAAHHHH!
And wouldn't you know it, it came back on soon after. Talk about being slapped in the face with a wet rag. :(
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I suppose it'd be worse if you were one key-press away from solving some kind of horribly complicated/difficult area which had already taken you hours to get through ;).