Deco / wall objects with a SIDE0 bitmap?

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ebeneezergude
Expert

Deco / wall objects with a SIDE0 bitmap?

Post by ebeneezergude »

can DSB make a wall object / decoration object that can be made to be visible on the tile the party stands on? For example, if it were a very wide alcove object?

In the original DM, a wall decoration object generally appears to have a FRONT view and a SIDE view. In the SIDE view, this is the bitmap displayed on the side wall of the tile in front of the tile the party is standing on.

The standard decoration bitmap is generally about one third the width of a wall tile. I want to make a decoration object - such as an alcove object - that is wider than the standard one. Assuming this hypothetical new wide alcove graphic is almost full width of a standard wall tile, this means that this object would be seen on the tile the party stands on. Ie, the SIDE0 wall.

Therefore, to make a wall custom decoration object visible on this SIDE0 wall, should have a corresponding SIDE0 bitmap - ie, it would be a wall object with more than one SIDE view bitmap, much like a floor object has SIDE0, SIDE1, SIDE2, etc... As described above, the original DM and RTC clearly can't achieve what I would need as it only provides FRONT and SIDE bitmaps for a wall object.

Therefore (and if you're still following my terrible explanation! :) ): can DSB make an object that acts like a wall alcove, for example, but can be made to be visible on the tile the party stands on?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Deco / wall objects with a SIDE0 bitmap?

Post by Gambit37 »

Whew, a long explanation for a simple question ;-)

Yes, DSB can do this, and I only just discovered this the other day when I did that "Development History" post for DSB - it was hidden in one of the updates and I was completely unaware of it. It's a cool feature :-)

Just add - "near_side = gfx.mygraphic" to the arch properties.
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Thanks Gambit, much appreciated!
Mon Ful Ir
Adept

Post by Mon Ful Ir »

In addition to Gambit's suggestion I can think of two other ways.

1) You could make a floorflat and place it on the neighbouring squares; or
2) You could make a wallitem on the neighbouring squares that has a heavily-offset graphic.

The secret of making it work, in either case, is to make the graphic hidden by default and then reveal it if a condition is satisfied (i.e. that the party is standing on the correct tile and facing in the correct direction to display it). Do try one or both of those if you have time----although Gambit's way is simplest and most elegant, learning to do it in other ways is a good way of teaching yourself code that you're certain to need later. :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm not a fan of conditional triggers for stuff like this, especially when there's a much simpler solution. But yeah, it's a good trick to know for other uses... :)
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Sounds complicated....! Think I would prefer to keep it simple.... but perversely I like the contortionist logic of it... Wherever you step creates the adjacent bit of dungeon.... hey, there's a design concept right there for a surrrealist dungeon experience..!