Dungeon master VS legend of grimrock

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seth
Novice

Re: Dungeon master VS legend of grimrock

Post by Seth »

I`m still waiting for new and exciting dev. blog about LoG2....do you know anything about it PetriH? :o)
chiefy
Big chief

Post by chiefy »

talking of LOG2... will your custom dungeon from LOG1 be of interest to the new generation of LOG2 fans?

will the 1st LOG2 custom dungeon be dungeon 751 including all the old LOG1 dungeons... or will they just be stepped aside? ;)
from your old mate
c h i e f y
global chiefy to yer old seadog maties
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Post by PetriH »

Seth: we've been so busy at work so there has been no time to write a blog post lately. I think a dev update is due next week :)

Chiefy: we are doing big changes under the hood so LOG1 custom dungeons are likely not compatible with LOG2 straight out of the box. With some modifications it should be possible to import dungeons to log2 editor. We are hoping that some kind modder person will step up and create an automatic log1->log2 dungeon converter :)
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

Interesting thread.
Dungeon Master was my favourite game until I played Twilight Princess on Wii 5 years ago.
So, my expectations about LoG were pretty hihg, and I think Almost Human did an excellent job in almost recreating the feeling of old square based dungeon crawlers using new technology.

There are just a couple of things that I still prefer in Dungeon Master:

- Characters: Champions in DM had a lot of charisma, don't ask me how it was possible, but it's incredible how these little mirror cages contained characters that seemed alive to me. Compared to that, the possibility to self create your own character is tasteless.

- Combat: Having the possibility to choose from more than one single attack thecnique for each weapon gave combat a little plus on strategy: shall I use that low damaging but faster slash or shall I try that higher damaging but slower Thrust? The fact that thecniques became available as your champions progressed with Fighter levels was a great addition too.

- Wall writings: In DM they were direclty readable facing the wall. That was more realistic and contributed to the feeling of "being there, in the dungeon".

- You had to keep up with both Thirst and Starving

- You could trap monsters beneath a closing gate.

These are small details, but somehow putting them together you have a slight advantage, like if DM was more "immersive".

LoG, by the way has wonderful GFX and Lighting, some great monsters and keeps on par with dungeon structures, puzzles and combat balance. And I do LOVE the little alkemy component you put in the game! That is a very smart idea!
Don't let a closed door stop you
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

quite agree with Erik Bauer writing on the wall was more realism in dm have felt that the writing was set in stone
it is much more realistic
without forgetting that in dungeon could have let some wooden door or destroy the other door with fireball for example
as well as in dm have could launch arrows objects pebbles ninja star
door through some
the possibility in dm open doors with the magic spell zo door opening
All this gave a dm one hand and the possibility of higher strategy puzzle
Erik Bauer said as champions really had a personality in dm while in Legend of Grimrock the Minotaur insect :(
and especially the thing I find the strongest in dm is the ability to champion multiclass
resuscitate a champion who was dead before that warrior can become with the workout later in the game a great wizard or priest
the history of dm I also found deeper
I also prefer the two final boss of the dungeon master wizard and dragon I do not like the cube Legend of Grimrock
I certainly remember some thing
I'm not down for the legend of Grimrock
although I recognize that log is an artistic success
but I share the same opinion that a lot of people are in on what I read before :)