So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
chiefy
Big chief

Re: So, tell us about yourself...

Post by chiefy »

I certainly do and from the sound of it many posts and members have been MERGED to this site which I am most impressed with

getting such things done is blimmen hard!!! whoever did it CONGRATULATIONS!!

yeah greeat avatar, I have the same one on LOG forums only it is taken direct from LOG haha! :mrgreen: thanks for the welcomes
from your old mate
c h i e f y
global chiefy to yer old seadog maties
tophatchild
Neophyte

Post by tophatchild »

Hi friends! I'm new in the realm and I just wanna let you know that the forum rocks! I guess I can picture myself as dungeon dweller and lover: a pen-and-paper RPG maker and an abandonware player. I sigh for the RPG nineties classic games such Eye of Beholder, Anvil of Dawn and above all, Dungeon Hack.

I hope to learn a lot from you over here!

Thank you.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Hey tophatchild! Welcome to the forums
tophatchild wrote:I sigh for the RPG nineties classic games such Eye of Beholder, Anvil of Dawn and above all, Dungeon Hack

What about Dungeon Master? :D Admittedly not a nineties game though.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

@tophatchild: Welcome to the forum! 8)

@oh_brother: I don't know anything about Anvil of Dawn, but EoB and DH are both perfectly good RPG's and i liked Hack, and love EoB. In fact, someone on this board made a perfectly decent RTC clone of EoB.
tophatchild
Neophyte

Post by tophatchild »

oh_brother wrote:What about Dungeon Master? :D Admittedly not a nineties game though.
I came across Dungeon Master a bit later, sadly :D . Anyway, I adore those computer dungeon crawls based on it... I don't know, it's just the RPG classic games inspired in Forgotten Realms, like those I mentioned above plus Menzoberranzan, bring me back some good memories of my "first" youth. Such a good time I had!

And I also yearn for their curious and magical VGA graphic engine. It was so naive and... adorable.

Thanks for your kind words!
Seriously Unserious wrote:In fact, someone on this board made a perfectly decent RTC clone of EoB.
Who? Where? :D :shock:
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

It's in the Custom Dungeons -> RTC section of the forum.

EDIT: I found its thread: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 74&t=28088
tophatchild
Neophyte

Post by tophatchild »

Seriously Unserious wrote:It's in the Custom Dungeons -> RTC section of the forum.

EDIT: I found its thread: http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 74&t=28088
Thank you, Mr. S. U.! Sincerely I didn't focus my attention enough on the RTC Editor untill your watch your kind post... Well, it provides us a great chance to expand our old dungeon games... What about a new Dungeon Hack levels based on it? Feed for your brains, people. Perhaps some day, I'll undertake such a great and nostalgic project!

:wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

[quote="tophatchild"Thank you, Mr. S. U.! Sincerely I didn't focus my attention enough on the RTC Editor untill your watch your kind post... Well, it provides us a great chance to expand our old dungeon games... What about a new Dungeon Hack levels based on it? Feed for your brains, people. Perhaps some day, I'll undertake such a great and nostalgic project!

:wink:[/quote]

Definitely play around with it. As soon as I downloaded RTC and opened its folder up for the 1st time I saw the editor and immediately got excited about it -- "finally, an easy way to create my own DM style adventures" I thought to myself! Well, I'm in the midst of designing a bit one now and it's great fun working on it, creating a whole new story and adventure around the original DM rules and storyline. I chose to do a sequel to CSB, for my 1st custom dungeon, a story that takes place after the defeat of lord chaos. I'm sure you'll come up with something just as great when you get starting playing around with the editor.

And yes, if you're not scared of LUA scripting you can give DSB a look, I'm sure you'll have tons of fun with that one too. I haven't tried it myself yet, too busy with college and my RTC project atm, but I'll probably give it a try when I have more time.
XTO
Novice

Post by XTO »

Hello everybody!

I'm Christophe, i'm a 38yo DM fan from 1988! I'm french and i come from Toulouse!
My favorite party in DM is Sonja, Boris, Tiggy and Daroou. I "rerolled" a party to import them in CSB to try to finish it 20 years after and i decided to draw all the portraits in the....csb character editor! after some hours of effort...I would like to show you the result but I dont know how to transfer the portrait file into a bmp or jgp..is it possible? (i play CSb on STeem! :p)

I am very glad to be part of the community now! :)

and of course "sorry for my english"...
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

*I* am English, and am very sorry for my English.

Welcome!
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Welcome XTO!
You can use the champion editor to save your portraits on a floppy disk (CMP files).
You can configure a hard disk in Steem (corresponding to a folder on your PC hard disk) and then boot with only the "portrait" disk in drive B:. You will then be able to copy your portraits from the floppy to the hard disk Inside Steem. You will then see the portraits in the folder on your PC.
Then you can use this script to convert between CMP files and BMP files: http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/710
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome! Apologies it took this long to approve your post, our forums have a way of hiding posts needing approved until you go looking...
XTO
Novice

Post by XTO »

It was so long that i thought my post was deleted! :D i'm kidding ..no problem with that!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Welcome XTO! Interesting to see everyone's favourite champions, I don't think I ever (?) used Boris or Tiggy.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Tiggy is a little squishy but Boris was a nice compromise that I always took with Wuuf :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hi, welcome to the forum :D.
I can recall taking Boris quite often back in the day, but nowadways I just take a twosome, formed of reincarnated Hissssa and Wuuf.

Post by XTO »

beowuuf wrote:Tiggy is a little squishy but Boris was a nice compromise that I always took with Wuuf :)
"squishy"?? (i dont know this word...) lol tiggy has a very fast mana progression but a very low health progression ...so Screamer are also higly dangerous for him at the beginning.

Thank you all for your welcoming posts! there is a lot of "Wuuf addict" here! I never played with Wuuf...not the best in each skill...I will take him maybe as a "pet" for my Sonja (my old fantasm come again!)...:D
Sonja is very interesting because you can easily make health or stamina potion and grow her mana quickly...
I think there is no way to discuss who is better than who because every characters are well defined and they are all excellent! :D

Xto

(did you really understand what i said?? :shock: )
Last edited by XTO on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Squishy as in she get stomped by creatures due to her low health, bu even more so her stamina is bad too - so you'll have to keep her topped up with stamina potions. I found it not worth her extra mana. Wuuf meanwhile, has great mana and ability to run around, plus a flask! :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, the flask at the start is nice :). Skills don't matter to me as I reincarnate my whole party anyway. Hissssa starts with low mana but has enough to cast Lo Ful (Lo Ya uses less mana of course, but I need light more ;)), though you need to wait for the mana bar to refill after casting the first rune. A few casts later, though, and you get a Wizard level and some more mana to be able to cast more stuff :).
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Welcome aboard XTO... my favorite is Chani, fast learner.
keep your gor coin handy
XTO
Novice

Post by XTO »

Ameena wrote: Skills don't matter to me as I reincarnate my whole party anyway.
I said "skills" but I mean "stats" or caracteristics or... i dont the right word...Of course i reincarnate my whole party too!
beowuuf wrote:Squishy as in SHE get stomped by creatures
Tiggy isn't a guy??? he seems to have a 5-pixels-beard...no? I thought he was a kind of wizardry nerd...very weak but smart...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yup, TIggy isn't just a curly haired hobbit, and I guess the outline is just...an outline. OR she's a dwarf.

But this will really bake your noodle - so is Wuuf :)
XTO
Novice

Post by XTO »

beowuuf wrote:Yup, TIggy isn't just a curly haired hobbit, and I guess the outline is just...an outline. OR she's a dwarf.

But this will really bake your noodle - so is Wuuf :)
OMG! *fainted*
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Hello.I love DM.Played it on the SNES years ago.Totally engrossed me.Got stuck around 4 levels down.Drew my own maps.Had to resort to a walkthrough to progress.I really dislike doing that with games.So I just took a long break from it.I enjoy EOB series,Final Fantasy,Wizardy,Demon's Souls and all D&D games.I am 49 years old and not very good with computers.So I mainly play consoles.Wizardry Tales of the Forsaken Land was really really good on SNES.Anyway,I plan to play DM in the near future after I beat the game I am currently playing.I have DM2 on Sega CD but have not really started it yet.I like to play games in the order they come out.Oh yea,have Legend of Grimrock on Steam.Outstanding game.I was very happily surprised to find this website.Dungeon Crawling is my favorite genre.Hats off to the creators and maintainers of this site.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Welcome Big Stan!

I have never played the SNES version of DM, just ST (and CSBWin and DSB). I was going to ask how it compared on a console, but I guess that is a dumb question if you did not play on a computer. Maybe you can compare an contrast when you move on to DM1.

In the meantime enjoy DM2!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey, welcome to the forum :). Maybe you will finish DM one day!
Master Superior

Welcome to the forums, Big Stan. 8)

Like ob, I'd ask you how the SNES version of DM compares to the other versions, but until you've tried one of them that's kind of a pointless question to ask. I've only played the Amiga and RTC versions of Dungeon Master, and the Amiga version of BotCF and EOB. I started EOB2 on my Amiga but it broke down before I got very far in it. I'm currently testing a custom RTC dungeon, Dark Reign 2, which is looking awesome so far, and developing my own RTC dungeon.

I hope you will give us a comparison of the 2 DM versions once you have played one of the PC versions. Of course, you could also try out the Amiga version of DM via an emulator like WinUAE.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Thank you all for the warm welcome.The graphics and sound ran fine on the SNES version of DM.I played the first EOB on windows using dosbox.It was difficult mounting it at first but after that no problems.Great game but the final beholder was too easy to kill in my opinion.I love the old SSI gold box games.Have most of them but have not gotten to play them yet.My son,Little Stan,takes his computer gaming very seriously.I usually ask for his help with tech issues.It is so cool that these forums are here and I feel lucky to have found them and all you guys.By the way I love making maps.They help in Wizardry games too.One last thing,I love HalfLife.I have beat everyone they put out.Looking forward to Episode 3.