funny email thread

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Re: funny email thread

Post by Seriously Unserious »

If the guy with the floodlight was living along Cougar Creek, his floodlight and most of the rest of his house would probably be in Saskatchewan or Manitoba by now.

We actually covered the Alberta floods in my Geography class for the section on floods.Canmore, the hardest hit city, got over 110 mm of rain in 1 day, and about 200 mm in a 2 day span, that's lot even for the south coast of BC, and Alberta is supposed to be in the rainshadow of the Rockies. In this case the storm came in from the opposite direction to the normal west-east track, going east-west instead, and on top of that, got stalled by a high pressure area to the north, and another storm to the west, over BC.
when real disaster hits, you see what is important and what is not.. a means of survival for all your family members.. both hairless ape and fuzzy beast alike :)
I agree.
considering how much rain we usually get in BC I'm shocked it hasn't happened here
One would think so, but here, we have many huge rivers and plenty of natural drainage. To get a flood in BC it pretty mush takes 3 conditions to be met:
1- unusually large snow pack in the mountains and interior
2- unusually cool spring
3- about 2 weeks of hot weather around late May/early June

If all 3 are present in sufficient quantities we will likely get wide spread flooding, if not, we won't.

In the north/interior, a couple of other things can sometimes cause flooding as well, and ice jam in a river or a glacial lake being held back by ice that suddenly give way and all that water comes flooding down in a flash flood. These can be either on the surface, or hidden under a glacier and if hidden, can strike without warning.

A more real danger in BC is Avalanches, especially with all those big mountains, steep slopes and huge snowpacks that build up over the winter.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

there is a cold air anomoly in that region, east of the mountains, NOAA calls it an anomoly, also the polar jet is not behaving the way it should, it has nothing to do with the CO2. it has been cold there or cooler for a few years now, that's how i started the post of snow in june then in august, there is something more going on that has been affecting our climate. i think it has everything to do with magnetics. in the past few years, there have been so many retrograde storms, it never use to be like that, i watched the weather all the time growing up, noaa weather station with my mom before they took it off the air. i remember days always being hot, not so humid like it is today.

they need to pipe that water down to the mid west, it flows east from the east side of the mountains to Hudson Bay, so along with the keystone pipeline there should be an excess water flow pipe instead of draining it from Michigan. i went fishing Thursday night on lake Ontario, the water is finally back to its normal level. it has been low for at least ten years. we needed the water.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Actually, one of the major reasons why water levels on the Great Lakes is dropping is the billions of gallons of water being pumped out of there every year for a natural gas extraction process known as fraking, which uses massive amounts of water.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

they use groundwater mostly for that, and they reuse it. the water they use is not fit to drink anyway. the great lakes have been drained heavy for agriculture to the midwest states. facking is not the reason why we have lower water levels, it has nothing to do with it. i watched a few shows on TV about that. fracking is not the reason we're seeing lower water levels nor is it the reason for all the earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. did you check out the chart on volcanic activity and how the activity has increased 3 times as much this century. just as i was saying all along. i bet your geography classes are fun SU, what is it you want to become??? i thought you were in sales for gaming or something, i'll never get anything straight, must be losing my marbles.
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

No, actually fraking uses massive amounts of water, much of which has to be trucked or piped in because groundwater just can't supply enough of it. It also pollutes the water heavily, from a combination of chemical additives, escaped gasses and absorbing radio active elements within the rocks being fraked. It also produces air pollution from gasses escaping the well, emissions from the heavy machinery needed to operate the well, plus, if water is being trucked in or the gas trucked out, the trucks cause massive amounts of both air and noise pollution. Ground contamination is another issue with fraking as well, as the polluted water and other materials leach into the soil surrounding the well.

Here's a few articles on the subject:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/2 ... 28957.html
http://groundswellsjv.org/the-effects-o ... -on-water/
Image (this article seems to be dismissive of many environmental issues but it does give good info on the process itself)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

they reuse the water over and over. have you seen the government coverage on how they are dealing with all these issues, how they're recoving land lost to the largest oil spill ever, all natural. i do agree with the noise pollution, but as for a natural disaster like that oil spill, we're making good of it. a couple hundred years from now the land will be recovered, regrown because right now, NOTHING grows where that oil is, and a short while after we stop using CO2, it will dissipate and leveles will start to drop over time. i do not see disaster in 500 years from now. the earth will wash water it gets caught up in the atmosphere just like it has in the past. one would expect we won't be sung fossil fuels forever, so there will be a point where we either have died off inpop due to virus, food shortage, diseases, war, rocks from space, you name it, there are tons of things that WILL change the earth, CO2 is not the one to worry about SU, but if anyone so does believe in such things, then i ask they do something about it instead of the hypocracy i see, i love the ones who are so worried about this CO2 as they puff on their cigarette, as if they cared.
keep your gor coin handy
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

You already have a thread for climate change and environmental debate. I'm locking this one as it has nothing to do with a funny email thread any more.