Shading Archetypes

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Shading Archetypes

Post by Gambit37 »

Sophia wrote:So, right now, there's no way to apply shading to individual archetypes. This would be a bit messy to add. What are you trying to do?
The sidewall pillars/archways that I showed you before. These need shading fixing, but other wallitems are fine. If I use this array to change the shading, then it'll mess up other objects.
I've tried fixing this in the pre-dawn art by "averaging" out the brightness of the front-0 item so that DSB might shade it better, but I can't get it to work that way.
To be honest, this feature is only really useful if individual archetypes can be shaded independently.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: DSB Version 0.55

Post by Gambit37 »

To clarify the shading issue:

DSB offers a modifiable "shading tint" of any level. In conjunction with its automatic shading, this can create some strange shading problems with wallitems in particular. I asked if it would be possible to modify individual items to combat this, but unfortunately the new feature only works on the entirety of a TYPE and not individual archetypes.

If it's hugely problematic to offer individual archetype shading, then would it be possible to add support for pre-drawn artwork for what would normally be auto-scaled images? IE, add these arch properties for wallitems, and use them if specified (and without auto-shading), otherwise do the normal auto-scale and auto-shade. In this way I could "pre-bake" the right shading level into each image in PhotoShop, before exporting for DSB.

Code: Select all

front_med=gfx.image1
	front_far=gfx.image2
	side_med=gfx.image3
	side_far=gfx.image4
If not, then the only way I can solve this is to NOT USE the level shading tint feature, and I'd have to re-shade all my pre-drawn artwork (walls, floors, wallitems) to have exactly the same brightness levels as the original DM graphics.

I'm sorry if this comes across badly: it's hard to offer honest criticisms of features without appearing to be a self-entitled old so-and-so... :)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

All I'll say right now is that I'll look at the issue again. ;)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Gambit37 wrote:DSB offers a modifiable "shading tint" of any level. In conjunction with its automatic shading, this can create some strange shading problems with wallitems in particular. I asked if it would be possible to modify individual items to combat this, but unfortunately the new feature only works on the entirety of a TYPE and not individual archetypes.
DSB 0.58 will allow you to shade individual archetypes.

Iron (and solid, skeleton, etc.) keys, already a bit tough to see when on the floor, were even more difficult to see in DSB due to the greater number of shades of grey it can use. The easiest way to change this was to give them their own custom shading settings... :mrgreen:
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Sophia wrote:Iron (and solid, skeleton, etc.) keys, already a bit tough to see when on the floor, were even more difficult to see in DSB due to the greater number of shades of grey it can use.
Like, 50 ?
What Is Your Quest ?