DSB Source Code

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

DSB Source Code

Post by Sophia »

The C source code to DSB is now available:

https://github.com/sparkletwist/DSB

There is little included here if you want to build it yourself, and, honestly, I'm not really sure how much help I could provide. The environment I use is ancient (DevC++ and MinGW) and not anything I use for any other project anymore; I've not bothered to upgrade it because it's also tiny by modern standards and it would just be a pain.

So... I'm not sure how useful this is, but it's there if anyone wants it. :mrgreen:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: DSB Source Code

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow. That's very generous. If I knew what to do with it, I'd be all over it, but alas I don't have the skills.
If some kind other programmer wants to delve in there and upgrade it all to 1280x960 resolution, that would be awesome :D :D :D
(I do still tinker with DSB from time to time and still dream of a high(er)-res DM... ;) )

I assume this means DSB for you is over now? What happens to the original project in terms of ownership, and any derivative variations based on this source code release?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Gambit37 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:55 amI assume this means DSB for you is over now? What happens to the original project in terms of ownership, and any derivative variations based on this source code release?
I wouldn't say 'over,' but the fact is that I haven't made a release in over a year, and life has a way of sneaking up on you-- so if it ever got to the point that I just wasn't coming around here any more, I didn't want to leave DSB in a state where it was impossible for anyone to carry on with it, if someone was interested in doing so. To be blunt about it, I didn't want it to end up like RTC did.

Anyway, in terms of ownership, I still own the DSB code, just as the original DM authors still own their work. If someone makes a derivative work based on DSB, then we are essentially co-authors with them owning their additions and me still maintaining copyright over my original DSB code. The only limits I would apply to derivative works are to not act in bad faith, to not misrepresent a DSB derivative as an 'official' version of DSB, and to not plagiarize my code without credit. (It's not even very good code, so why would anyone want to!)
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

Went to have a try at compiling it, but I think that fmodex 4 may for all intents and purposes no longer exist. 8-(
Friends don't let friends eat worm round
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

I'll give it a go. I was also vaguely considering commenting out enough code to get "Closed Captions Strikes Back" but this is a much better option 8-)

Hmm. And it looks like theres linux versions of everything in the libraries list. But lets see if I can get a working (and documented) process for compiling on windows first...
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Well, I do have to warn you, the libraries may be cross-platform but I'm pretty sure DSB is not. There are enough calls to the Win32 API in there that porting it would be kind of difficult, especially ESB.
kaypy
Artisan

Compiler strikes back

Post by kaypy »

OK, getting closer: I now have a .o file for each .c file

Had to make a minor tweak to cope with having lua5.2

Onwards to linking!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Kaypy, I'm interested to know if you ever got any further with compiling DSB, and if you have any plans to do extra things with it (Improve the resolution for example, hint, hint ;-) )