[RTC] Underworld Dreams 1.2

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Leslie
Adept

Re: [RTC] Underworld Dreams 1.2

Post by Leslie »

I have access to the cookie machine, but I don't have gold coins.
Plenty of gems, but no coins.
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

The few shops out there, buy something to get the change.
keep your gor coin handy
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Thanks for that, now got some cookies and returned to the mines.
I made my way to the ring teleports... but unfortunately not across them.
I guess it's a simple speed test, and you have to place a crystal into the alcove with the "get rid of your bother" message? At least I did not find a way to bring a crystal there. Tried throwing the crystal before the walls turn yellow, but the teleporters also work when the crystal is in the air. And just speed running? Tried for about an hour now.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Tried for another hour.
Still no idea or progress.
Totally clueless for days.
Got overwhelmed by own temperament.
Wiped dungeon from the disk.
Sorry Gillian, I cannot save you from the Dream castle :(
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

:shock:
I found that planning the steps with the magic map helped. It’s still tight, but knowing all the steps and turns worked for me.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

As I am not the youngest anymore, speed tests are the hardest part of the game for me.
There was a place in Upside down where deadly traps where both in the floor and the ceiling of a longer passage. The traps were toggled each two seconds or so. So you had to cast the gravity revert at the correct time, move one step, cast the spell, move... and so on. I never solved that one although I tried for days, and finally had to give up.
The same is now the case with the ring teleports. I am just too slow for such speed things.

On the long run, I am a bit undecided about Underworld dreams at all. The look and feel, great! The story, amazing! The game mechanics, also amazing!
But then almost any creature can kill you with a single shot. Food gathering and waiting for respawning creatures that give food takes lots of game time until you can buy cookies. And finally this only-by-speed solvable passage that is the final "game-over" for me.

I really like Underworld Dreams, but it has some frustrating elements. I still consider Tower of Champions the true masterpiece of RTC engineering. It has a much better balancing.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Hi Leslie.

I know what you mean, I have felt the same many times. This dungeon is tough, especially for non fighters or more than two characters in the party. Normally I would have cast strength potions and play only two characters with lots of chests and bags. But that was taken away, had to earn those potions and find the right items to get that strength.

You need another crystal, I stole mine from path 1, I was desperate and resorted to the thief and fighter to do it. There is your extra crystal or rock. I do want to know where that crystal was that I was missing, if only Adamski would return. This is a top notch dungeon, he should be around someplace you'd think. Always a mystery this place.

Don't give up.
keep your gor coin handy
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Chaos-Shaman wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:42 am Don't give up.
Not possible to undo this decision.
As I posted, I wiped UD from my disk. At that very moment it helpded a lot to get my mind clear :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I am sorry to hear Leslie. It's better than throwing the computer out the window. How many characters did you play with?
keep your gor coin handy
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

I had all four characters. Including a very limited Zuus. After finishing the cloud castle and getting young again, he had only 20 mana.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

That sounds like a bug.
I was only playing with Elektra and Goro, and they were returned to normal. Maybe the problem is just with that particular character.
I wonder if this happened to others, or if it was a one-off.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I also played with Elektra and Goro, had no problems. One of them had the web spell and I didn't know it, I chose Goro because he had a fear attack. I fought with weapons as much as I could, give me more strength, hit points and carry more. Leslie might have been better off leaving the other two dead while in Cloud Castle, this should bypassed the mana problem. I should have played with four characters and done just that, leave the other two dead until I need their abilities. If Leslie has sent a save to someone else, he could get that back. Playing this amazing dungeon can be a piss off at times, I don't blame you Leslie. I have countlessly deleted and reinstalled my OS many times when something isn't working right.

Saumun, where are you in the dungeon or did you finish it? It took me around 4 months to finish the game, off and on playing it, getting stuck for days and kept coming back for more punishment.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I haven’t touched it for a couple of weeks. My last save is where I’m just about to start Sivis (also haven’t been in the dragon shrine yet).
It was starting to feel like a bit of a slog, so I thought I’d take a break from it. I intend to go back to it, but not sure when.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I also had to break due to life, lots else going on these days. I find it is necessary to take a break from such a hard dungeon, can be discouraging. Now that summer is nearly here there is little free time. This dungeon is worth playing and finishing. I beat DM2 in a few days, this dungeon is far more tougher, longer and frustrating. Makes one want to come back for more torcher.

I got back to some RTCediting, was working on a problem of how to keep track of hit point damage that a monster takes and keep it when swapping to a new monster. I think I have figured it out. Can't use a relay to check on a monsters health while in a loop, must go around it ;) I wish Adamski would come back, lots of questions about the dungeon programming.

Let me know Saumun if you need some assistance.
keep your gor coin handy
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Just for my curiosity... what can you do if Elektra dies?
You have to medidate at a circle to revive characters, and the others cannot initiate a meditation...

I did not send savegames to anyone. But maybe sometime later I'll try the game again with less then four characters. I would prefer Faan instead of Goro, since she's master Ninja, while all the other skills still can be trained. I never use Ninja skills, but all the others, and so could get all the benefits of leveling Faan.

Having just to characters could also reduce the necessity for food hunting sessions.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Hmmm... good point. I don’t know.
I’m playing with Elektra and Goro, and I’ve had Elektra die with Goro left alive a few times but just reloaded.
Furthermore, could it be completed without her? That’s probably for someone who has finished the dungeon to answer.

I know you’d probably want to go from scratch... but for what it’s worth, if you decide to restart, you’re welcome to one of my saves if you didn’t want to go through it all again. I haven’t done any of Sivis or Dragon shrine, though have completed Rainbow mines.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

The answer to that is NO, you can't complete the game without her. It's the dream state that she does that the party needs.

Leslie, I have at least 350 save games, you can start anywhere using Elektra and Goro if you like.
keep your gor coin handy
Darth Mouse
Apprentice

Post by Darth Mouse »

Hi Adamski

Have not player a game in a few years but this weekend will start on your latest creations

if its anything like your last 2 games it should be amazing
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Hi Darth Mouse

Adamski has disappeared but I can say that this dungeon is well worth playing if you have the time, it took months for me to finally finish it.
keep your gor coin handy
ElTango75
Artisan

Post by ElTango75 »

Hi

After ToC i started playing UD....but as at the beginning from ToC i stuck.

How to give the bear the medicine ? It doesn´t work.

The forrest is crazy and second time, without mapping not to handle.....i found the orc man, but can´t cross him

I don´t find any way to the tower.......

Could be that i don´t have a correct first overview.....

Where is the second meditation point ?

What about the special spell, don´t remember how he is called, that makes that symbol on walls.....do i need that in the cellar of the forrest where the prison and Helga is ?

Could be that the "englisch" is a little bit difficult to understand for me.....
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

You can’t give the medicine yet. That will come later.

To find the amber tower, look for the swamp in the east. It’s close to where Furion is guarding the gate to the great tree (Is this the orc man you mentioned?).

You may need to use the ‘reveal’ spell in several places.
Be sure to keep the scrolls for any spells you find.
If you’ve dropped it, it’s.....
Spoiler
ya ir ra
The second meditation point is.....
Spoiler
somewhere near the swamp
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Actually, there are not too many exits from the first forest.
There's the gate guarded by Furion. You will not be able to open that by now.
Then there's a locked door leading to the Fairy village. Don't bother about that as well at the moment.
And, we have the entrance to Helga's dungeon. That's the place you should explore first. There are some useful items and spells here. The final goal is to enter the prison level of the dungeon. There you will encounter the first boss-fight of Underworld dreams (many more will come). You will find a
Spoiler
drum
there. With that, return to the forest. There is another gate which you can open. It will lead to the backyard of the Amber tower where you can find some more items. But to find the entrance to the tower, you need to use the item from Helga's dungeon on the guard blocking the way to the swamp.
From here, you can enter the second part of Helga's dungeon, explore the second meditation point and finally battle the ogres and get access to the Amber tower...
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I’d forgotten all about using the drum. That was probably the orc guy he mentioned.
ElTango75
Artisan

Post by ElTango75 »

Thanks !

At the moment i think about the two iron doors in Helga´s Dungeon cellar. The owl said, that she hear someone, but i don´t have the key for that iron door. I think i will get it later, because i don´t find any hint.

The ocre village is not easy, i tried it nearly 30min without success. Elektra is too bad with her health. I started drinking strength potion, and will try it a second time, but there are soo many ocre.

Is there a trick to battle them ?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

The ogre village is a tough fight when you’re weak.
I’m not sure if there is a particular trick. I just didn’t go too far into the village at first, and tried to lure them out one at a time into the swamp where there is more room to move... but of course there are the wasps.
You’ll find yourself using magic a lot, because early in the dungeon you’ll get killed trying to fight toe to toe.

Remember to save often, and use different save slots so you can always go back.
I saved it every time I killed a couple of ogres when I was at the ogre village.
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

Did you find Goro in the second part of Helga's dungeon? A second party member makes the ogre battle a lot easier. Having a full party can however be a drawback later in the game due to food management.

Somewhere near the entrance to the ogre village there's a small passage passing a corner and leading to cul-de-sac. I used that to recover during the battle. Ogres will most likely not find you there. And if they do, they only come one by one.

[somehow ironic]
One personal remark @Adamski: There's a hall of music in the dungeon where you need to place musical instruments to venture further. Why does this place take four different instruments, but not the drum? I know that we drummers are sometimes not considered as real musicians... but now this happens even im DM... *sigh*
[/somehow ironic]
ElTango75
Artisan

Post by ElTango75 »

Thats interesting. At the moment i battled the ocre only with Elektra, but with Strength Potion and Shield....that helps a lot.

I don´t found Goro, because the owl said, that she heard someone, but there are two iron doors and no idea how to open it, especially the door with the lock, because i only have the Amber-key.

I also didn´t found that item called "Cul-de-Sac", but good idea. I have nearly 400 health points with Elektra by train her.

@Saumun & @ Leslie: Have you also finished "Underworld Dreams ?" ToC was very great, but UD.....so so good....
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

I don't remember exactly how to open the gates with Goro behind. Some wooden doors in the dungeon can be bashed with weapons or spells, however.
I played UD quite a while, but then gave up at the Rainbow mines.

Cul-de-Sac = Sackgasse :)
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Have not completed it yet, and haven’t played it for a couple of months.
Had just started the Sivis Level and decided to take a break. I’m sure I’ll get back to it at some point. No rush.
ElTango75
Artisan

Post by ElTango75 »

OK, i see i have to skill up my English-Level not the level of Elektra :-)

Now i am in the Amber-Tower found the scroll with the "Create Amber Wall" but Elektra said, that i don´t have this spell ??? What does she mean ?

And the Mr. Quilp - crazy boy.....i bought the tower-map......and he made a joke with me.....

So I also didn´t know how to fix something on the plate that keeps the doors open. My first idea was such a Amber wall------but how ?