OT - New site: DM Jump-point

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

OT - New site: DM Jump-point

Post by beowuuf »

I've been working on and off for the last few weeks on a site to gather DM news and also provide a quick linking point:

http://chaos.zpc.cz/jumpsite/dmjump.htm

It's a minimal content, minimal graphics site that I'll keep updated as and when things happen.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
amaprotu
Adept

Re: OT - New site: DM Jump-point

Post by amaprotu »

Nice site! Maybe just me but I would prefer a standard link bar rather than the drop down menu. This is probably mostly because I looked at all the links, clicked somewhere else on the page, this closed the menu but didn't change the focus..... so when I used my mouse wheel to scroll down the page I opened a new window with every link in your list. :P

Other than that looks very nice!
- Amaprotu
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, you have to click twice off of those links to get it to change...I'll see what I can do, if more people mention it I can change it, at worst I can stick another set of links on there.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

A really good idea for a site. The real trick will be to make sure people use it as a site that they go to first, so make sure you register it with all the major search engines using sensible keywords.

I'm looking forward to giving you a new link to add to it sometime next year... :wink:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

next year?

Post by cowsmanaut »

You mean like the first of next month? :wink:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: next year?

Post by Gambit37 »

No... but try March.... :wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Already had it pencilled in for March in the upcoming page...well, the one that's on my hd anyway : ) It's the main reason I started the upcoming page...people should know about it!

And yes, early next year I hope to have the grabbing front page to pull anyone in looking for DM things.
The trouble is that games magazines seem to dominate the search engines with their cheat pages and reviews! Any idea how they do that, and how to get better than that?

Also, does anyone know a there a better site than the underdogs to recommend for downloading old games like DM? <p>
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year one and all

- Michael (Beowuuf)</p>

amaprotu
Adept

Post by amaprotu »

At least some engines are using links to a site to determine how relevant it is. So for this I would suggest trying to convince all the pages you link to, to link back to you somewhere. However I don't know how long that would take to work through the system.

Otherwise just a good use of keywords:
Avoid repeats (some search engines will drop a page if it repeats the same thing too much)
Keep it simple (some search engines will rate it higher based on the percentage the search keywords are in your meta tages or document. I mean you will get higher on some engines with a precise 20-30 word keyword list rather than a 1,000 word list that covers everthing.)

There are of course more things to keep in mind, and lots of webpages dedicated on selling you that one secret tip to get to the top of the search engines list. :P Good luck.

- Amaprotu
- Amaprotu
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Cheers! : ) <p>

- Michael (Beowuuf)</p>

DMPhreak
Neophyte

Oi!

Post by DMPhreak »

Nice site.. A couple things don't work... but it's all good. :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Internal links to do with browsers finding it as their first DM site still aren't up yet, oops. Have to finish those at least soon.
Then comes the redesign!

And thanks : ) <p>

- Michael (Beowuuf)</p>