Should I be a dungeon master

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
RadLad
Neophyte

Should I be a dungeon master

Post by RadLad »

okay people, this is maybe a weird question but idk what to do (idk if this is the right place but ight)
Me and my group started playing dnd cuz i wanted to for a long time, but i knew nothing about the game, so i got people as far to play and invited one guy that knew the game to help us, but i was being really slow as dm as first cuz i didnt know what to do, so he took it over. but now he told us he rather plays so we need another dm. and there is basically me and this other dude i know. we all know how it works and i searched a lot about the game and also about being a dm. but i actually already started making a world and begin encounters and later (even tho i shouldnt) and i just love everything about it, i even kinda learned how to homebrew even tho i am waiting with it till i have more experience, but basically me and that dude wants to do it, and we are both like i dont care, but tbh i want to do both at some point but aint afraid to comit to my dm role for a long period of time, and as far as i know he would comit to it too. but the players tell us we should decide who should go, and now my problem here is, should i go for it or not. i know i could make something beautifull and enjoyable, even more then he could. but then there is me a shy guy that needs to learn it all and try to talk in character etc, and then there is he who has a great voice and would be more enjoyable to listen to. like i could get better but idk. i dont wanna take it from the group just because i want to be dm and am afraid mine will be a flop and will feel bad about it. i would love to do it, but then i ask you guys, should i go for it and try and become better and put my heart into it, or let a more enjoyable guy to listen to take the wheel?
what are your thoughts? . . .
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Should I be a dungeon master

Post by Ameena »

Well, firstly, welcome to the forum :).
Secondly, you have made the mistake far too many people seem to make and apparently looked at the title of said forum and assumed it's a DnD forum, when in fact this Dungeon Master is first-person RPG that came out on Atari and Amiga in 1987.
Thirdly, don't worry about that - a bunch of us play DnD (and other RPGs, board games, computer games and Fantasy stuff) so at least a few people can probably help you.
Fourthly, you're worried about being a GM because you think you might mess it up? Eh, sod that - just go for it anyway. Yes, you may make some mistakes, yes you may inadvertendly make some "bad GM" choices that your players disagree with, but then you get to learn from said mistakes and do better next time :D. There are plenty of super-good GMs out there and some of them have put up advice on YouTube (and elsewhere) for GMs (or those aspiring to be such) to help an advise them on ways to run games in order to make said games fun. To give some examples of people I know of whom you could check out, there's Matt Mercer, whose videos I've rarely watcehd but he runs what appears to be the most popular and well-known DnD stream online, Critical Role. Then there's Mark "Sherlock" Hulmes (his YouTube channel is called Tabletop Weekly) who runs the DnD stream that I watch weekly, High Rollers (which has its own channel, High Rollers DnD, or you can just watch the backlog on Twitch as the vids are available there right after an episode has finished on Sunday evenings UK time). Mark and Matt are long-term friends and have known each other for agse - Matt even guest-appeared in the recent High Rollers Christmas special one-shot :D. And another one is Matt Colville, who does a series called "Running the Game" on his channel. Maybe check out some of these guys (and others - there are plenty more) for some inspiration and/or advice on how to run things :).