DM series quotes and locations game :)

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ParuNexus
Adept

DM series quotes and locations game :)

Post by ParuNexus »

So I was having a fun time on a general gaming group about saying a line and see if people can guess the game. How about this twisted version Quote something from the games but have people guess the location(like Level) and if its Wall text or a scroll. FYI there is no level 0. I'll start with the most basic one: DM: "Hall of Champions". Maybe use initials for different games like CSB DM2 TQ and DMN. Remember all those level 3 challenges(DM) have text next to them.
Want to talk about Dungeon master, or shoot the breeze, come check out Dungeon Master Discord(not affiliated with
other DM series sites) @ https://discord.gg/5YzEcPT
slickrcbd
Adept

Re: DM series quotes and locations game :)

Post by slickrcbd »

Just to be clear on the level naming, Level 1 has the "Hall of Champions", and level 2 is when you go down the first flight of stairs, turn right, grab the club, throw it and some scrolls at the mummy, and find a scroll that says "Small details can hide great rewards"? That is level 2, right? The worm level is level 4.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Hall of Champions
Level 0.

Yes, Virginia, there is a level 0. :P
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

Some of us go by the hint book which used the numbering scheme I described. I myself have a well worn copy of the 2nd edition as I could never remember the sequence for the teleporter maze or pit maze in level 5 and just got bored and frustrated.
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/403
Sorry, it influenced me as a child, and I've been using that numbering scheme since 1990.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yup, Hall of Champs is Level One for me, too, because of the hint book - the version linked to above is the exact book I used (and still have), actually, since those are my scanned images - the blue is highlighter, where my dad was trying to visit every square in the dungeon and you can see an example of my six(ish)-year-old handwriting on the spells page, where I've corrected "Kath" to "Ra" :D.

Post by slickrcbd »

Well, the blue highlighter appears to be on the first edition scans, I have the second edition below it.

To get back to the OP's idea, I did not discover illusionary walls until I found the hint "When is rock not rock?"

Also, I suffered my first real TPK on my own computer when I did not follow directions when told "This is my prisoner, let him suffer". I had the benefit of trying the game at a friend's house for over a year so I knew some of it the first time I got to play on my own computer.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If I remember rightly you have to kill that Mummy (the prisoner) to open the wall blocking the path to the stairs. The Purple Worms are just a bonus ;).

Post by slickrcbd »

Yes, but that first time I managed to get caught between four of them and they ate my party alive. I'd somehow missed a pair behind me because I'd used the "shortcut", and retreated into them, then was stuck with a pair in front, a pair in back, exhausted my VI potions and mana, and did not think of trying a magic box. I'm not sure it would have helped.
I wasn't nearly as proficient at the game as I am now.