graphic programs to use

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Leslie
Adept

graphic programs to use

Post by Leslie »

Hi folks,

I would like to ask which software you are using to prepare graphic files to be used with RTC.
Until now, I just have good old Windows Paint, no professional software so far.
Actually, I can of course edit pictures and import them into RTC, but they look not that pretty after all.
I have a feeling that colour depth is reduced, any many graphics have a white or pink halo around them, even if edited very carefully.
I am sure there must be software around to avoid these effects.
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: graphic programs to use

Post by Ameena »

I made a few custom graphics for RTC aaages ago - just used good old Paintbrush :). Note that the full magenta colour (I think max red and blue with no green?) comes out transparent in-game so if you want to create something that's a weird shape, make sure the background is that bright pink colour so as not to have leftover white or whatever in your finished in-game graphic :).
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Leslie... The pink/purple halo effect is aliasing.
It can happen if you convert an image to a lower resolution. Are you by any chance changing jpg or gif files to png or bmp files?
It is okay to do this, but you often need to tidy up the image using the correct pink to go over these areas.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

That file type conversion could be the case... actually I never checked, but just saved my pictures :)
The full magentag is also a good hint, I have to check the palette. I guess it's a combination of both issues.
Thanks!
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

You have to turn the aliasing off, but this will give a sharp look which I think is okay since the game is from the stone age. You can use a 3D program to create stuff, lots of options out there, but most work near the same. Learn the terminology and it becomes a bit easier.
keep your gor coin handy