installation walkthroughs

This is an archive of the Dungeon Master Encyclopaedia forum
Eclectic Wander

installation walkthroughs

Post by Eclectic Wander »

Okay peeps I have a problem namely I can't seem to get DM to run on my computer. This is a big problem for me because well I love the game. I have it on SNES but seem to have lost that particular piece of equipment so it's a nogo there. There is also the nostalga aspect I rember first playing DM and Sundog on the library computer with a mouse and keyboard and I think that was way better than the crosspad ever was. So what I need is a walkthrough on installation.
Daniel Gustafsson

RE: installation walkthroughs

Post by Daniel Gustafsson »

I would like to help you.

What kind of computer do you have?
What operating system (OS) do you use ?

Dungeon Master is feeling best when it's run in pure MS-DOS.

/Daniel
Dave Rider

Post by Dave Rider »

Hey.. Im trying to play dm as well.. if you get the program to work.. please tell me how you did it. I downloaded everything and when i play.. and im entering the dungeon.. a securtiy popup comes up asking me to ptut in the master disk.. I dont have it and it wont let me play.. if you know the answer to this question.. please respond or if you have any knowledge of installation procedures that actually work.. please send me a line!
Thanks
Dave rider
FloWing N-Lightner

Post by FloWing N-Lightner »

Hi guys!

me 2 had lots of trouble getting the game going, but now i have the x-perience...;-)...but if you wanna get anything going with any help from anybody, it would be a GREAT idea to also post which pc-system you have and which version of dm/csb/dm2 you are using as well as any info on whats going wrong... anyway, one last stupid problem which almost brock MY neck (:-()): if running CSB on a m$-dos pc, save the stupid "make new adventure"-game to the VERY FIRST SLOT, not any other (wonder why the guy coding it didn?t bother to make simply four calls for this stupid sub, whats all that about OOP in cpp anyway????)
cheers,
flo (any)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think you'll find that Paul ported the *hacked* version of CSB over to Windows. The hacked version added the four slots but didn't implement the Make New Adventure facility for all the slots. Paul has made it quite clear that he ported the code *as is* and was not interested in adding or changing any functionality. So don't blame him, blame the guy who hacked it in the first place...
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I decided not to reply to the note from FloWing N-Lightner because I thought
it a bit insulting that he publicly called the product of nearly 1000 hours of
intense labor 'stupid' instead of a) reporting the problem to me or b)offering to
help me out of my ignorance or c) chewing me out in private for my
lack of testing.

Gambit's nice reply makes me want to set the record straight.

The error was my own. It was not copied from the hacked Atari version. The hacked code did not include the capability to save multiple games in the
Utility program. Lubor Kolar wanted this feature and took it upon himself
to provide it. He sent me some additional code which I installed. Unfortunately,
it only worked about 99 percent. I do not remember whether the problem
was his or mine and I don't care. I think it is fixed in version 3.0 which is
the one available for download from the dmweb site. If anyone believes it is
not fixed then I would appreciate a polite note to that effect.

Thanks for your attention,

PAul prsteven@facstaff.wisc.edu