Contributions wanted!

This is an archive of the Dungeon Master Encyclopaedia forum
ChristopheF

Contributions wanted!

Post by ChristopheF »

You like this web site? Then maybe you can help me make it even better by contributing to it.
Basically, if you have any item, information or software relating to the Dungeon Master series which is not already on this site, then I may be interested. Please drop me an E-mail or reply to this post to propose your contributions (this way we will avoid multiple people sending the same items).

Here is a list of DM related things that I'm looking for:

Games
- ADF image of Chaos Strikes Back for Amiga - Utility Disk French
- A working ADF image of Chaos Strikes Back for Amiga - Game Disk versions 3.3. I have an image of this version, but it does not run with WinUAE.
- ADF images of Dungeon Master for Amiga versions 1.0, 2.1 and 2.2
- ISO image of Theron's Quest (Japanese Version)
- ISO image of Dungeon Master for FM-Towns (this version includes audio tracks)
- Disk images of Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back and Dungeon Master II for PC9801
- Disk images of Dungeon Master II for PC9821

If you have/know of any other version of Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back and Dungeon Master 2 that is not listed above or already available on the site, then I'm interested!

Scans
- Theron's Quest Japanese version: Game Box, CD Box, CD
- Theron's Quest US: Manual, Game Box, CD
- DM2 for SegaCD: Manual, CD
- DM2 for Macintosh: Manual, Game box, CD box, CD
- Dungeon Master Nexus: Game Box

- Complete scans of the Chaos Strikes Back Adventurer's Handbook - The Official hint book for CSB by FTL.
- Complete scans or "Secrets of Dungeon Mastery", a Dungeon Master hint book

Scans of any other item that you'd like to see on the site.

Tools
- The Chaos Strikes Back Editor by Edward Penman - This tool is from the same author as 'The Dungeon Master Editor' http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/664

Information
Does anyone have some clue about the existence/non existence of these versions:
- Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back for Macintosh
- Chaos Strikes Back & Dungeon Master 2 for FM-Towns

Does anyone have accurate information about "Dungeon Master Plus". From what I know, it was a bundle including both DM and CSB. On which platform was it released? Can someone scan the box of this bundle?

I thank you in advance for your help in completing the Encyclopaedia.

Christophe
sucinum
Pal Master

Re: Contributions wanted!

Post by sucinum »

dm+ was in fact a dm&csb bundle available for atari st (maybe amiga)
thats ALL i can help you with, sry ;)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Christophe.

I can give you a lot of the scans or photos (Theron's Quest, Nexus, DM2 Mac and SegaCD, Secrets of Dungeon Mastery), but not until *after* it has been published on my site first.

I am also about to receive the one of the original Atari ST versions of DM: Only a few thousand were shipped - there is a fold-out flap which holds the manual, and the screen shots on the back are completely different, showing a version of the interface that never made it in to the final game. These boxes were printed well before the game was finished and are *incredibly* rare.

Regarding ISO of FM-Towns DM - highly unlikely. These games are extremely rare and cost anything up to ?200 (~2000FFR?) even second hand! I have been looking for a version for over a year, and even with contacts in Japan it has proved virtually impossible.

Regarding anything to do with NEC PC-98 series games: absolutely no chance. Even rarer than FM-TOWNS versions.

I believe there *was* CSB for the FM-Towns; I will have to check.

I have the CSB editor by Edward Penman for Atari ST but no way to make an image from it.

Mac versions of DM and CSB did exist - but only in-house. They were never released as finished products (Macs were used for much of DM and CSB development).

Don't know about DM+, but both DM and CSB were bundled together when Psygnosis re-released the games in 1992. You have the pictures on your site already.

I also have some other unique items, but won't list those here as that will spoil the surprise when I publish the first version of my site.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I guess what I really should have said was "Absolutely no chance unless you can read and write kanji and can persuade the seller to ship internationally" :-)

It's cool to see these pictures - I hadn't seen the PC98 packaging or the X68000 CSB until now. Much, much nicer than the regular stuff. I will have to see if it's possible to get these another way.... must complete my collection!
ChristopheF

Post by ChristopheF »

So here are the versions we know about:

DM: Amiga, PC, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Apple II GS, X68000, PC-98, FM-Towns
CSB: Atari ST, Amiga, X68000, PC-98, FM-Towns
DM2: Amiga, Macintosh and Sega CD, PC-98, FM-Towns
Theron's Quest: PC-Engine (two versions: english and japanese)
DM Nexus: Sega Saturn (Japanese only)

+ the unreleased versions:
DM & CSB for Macintosh
DM for Amiga CDTV (I came across this page talking about it: http://www.pwr.wroc.pl/AMIGA/AR/ar502_S ... ture1.html)

Does anyone have any clue about any other version of any of these games? (That's a lot of "any" in a single sentence!)
Particularly, I would like to reference all localized versions available per platform for these games. If you have non-english versions (spanish, italian, etc...), please post! (thank you to precise the version number if you can, the platform and the language)

To Gambit: can we have an ETA for your web site? ;-)

Christophe
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

As fas as the games go, that's pretty much it. Though of course, the Japanese versions are all significantly different... the Japanese SNES version was for the Super Famicom and again has very different packaging.

Currently, I own the following games, although some are in very poor condition. I'm still looking for a really good copy of CSB for Atari ST if anyone has one....

Dungeon Master: PC, Amiga, Atari ST, Apple IIgs, SNES (Europe), SNES (USA), SNES (Japan), Psygnosis 1992 Re-releases (PC,Amiga,ST)
CSB: Atari ST, Amiga
DM2: PC (USA First Edition), PC (USA Second Edition), PC (Europe First Edition), Amiga (Europe First Edition), Mac (Replay Re-issue), Sega CD (USA), Sega CD(UK)
Theron: Both USA and Japanese
Nexus: I also own this Japanese only game.

Games I'm still missing:
Dungeon Master: PC-98, Sharp X68000, Fujitsu FM-Towns
CSB: PC-98, Sharp X68000, Fujitsu FM-Towns
DM2: Mac (First Edition, USA, Europe & Japan), Sega CD (Japan), FM-Towns, PC (Interplay Blackmarket Re-Issue, USA (& Europe??)), PC-98

Note that there is a Japanese Mac version of DM2. It apparently has very high quality packaging, and only a few thousand were made, so if anyone finds a copy, buy it! Very rare indeed....

I'm also missing a couple of other items: The Album and the SNES Album (Un-official CD of music from the SNES version of DM).

ETA for the first version of my site - no idea. Real life has got in the way for the last three months or so, so I am no further to completion. The first version will focus on DM and CSB only, otherwise I'll never get it done. Probably another three months or so to get version 1 up and running.... it'll be worth the wait though....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh, and all those Japanese strategy guides at the address posted above would be nice to have too.... :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LMAO!
there was going to be a DM for CDTV? Dammit!

That's what I would have wanted, I had the CDTV...well, actually still have, 10 years down the line, still under the TV acting as a CD player now...

Man, I had to wait so long to get hold of a normal Amiga version of DM...
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That's it! I have been looking for a cultural hobby to pursue for quite some time. Now I've found it. I am going to learn Japanese! So in about 6 years time I'll be able to understand enough to buy the Japanese DM games. Totally practical. Cool. Well done, me. ;-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, i respect your enthusiasm and commitment

I think i will try a hobby of repairing my 'brick' and disk drive for the CDTV so i can play the amiga dm, and a few other nice games, the way they were meant to be played ; )
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
NICK SHARP

I NEED HELP

Post by NICK SHARP »

I HAVE JUST INVESTED IN A LAPTOP AND NEED TO GET ANY OR ALL THE DUNGEON MASTER GAMES.PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME GET THE BEST GAME IN THE WORLD OR TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET THEM.
Randolf Boots Jr
Novice

Post by Randolf Boots Jr »

That would be Dungeon Master 2 for PC VER. (I thank its the BEST GAME EVER!!!)
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Another thing Christophe or Gambit (or anyone with their own DM website) might want to look for is a book called Dungeon Master II Official Strategy Guide by Zach Meston and J. Douglas Arnold, copyright 1994. This books includes quite a bit of information about DM2 (although they missed some things). Its table of contents includes Champions, Items, Weapons, Armor, Magic and Monsters... information and stats. Also included is Basic and Battle Strategies, Questions and Answers, Walkthrough, Maps and an Interview with Wayne Holder! This book has information on how to order but I don't know if they are still in business or have any copies left or anything. Still, if you would like to find out how (according to this book) I will be glad to let you know how.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've got it already! Does yours include the big fold out map?

Vist the new Dungeon Master Codex website, coming soon!
http://www.dmcodex.com
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

It sure did! Very cool.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

When I bought DM2 on a spur of the moment several years ago, it was $20 (US) and had the strategy guide included. I didn't need to use it until the end of the game, but I loved reading the adventures of Alran and his melancholy band of heroes. I might have been the only player in the world who passed the fireball corridor on level-two of the keep using a reflection spell because I didn't know there was a way to disable the last eyeball. :P
meynaf
Novice

Post by meynaf »

I have the following :
. Dungeon Master ST 1.2 (english)
. Chaos Strikes Back ST 2.0 (english)
. Dungeon Master Amiga 3.6 (multilingual)
. Chaos Strikes Back Amiga 3.2 (french)
. Dungeon Master 2 Amiga 1.0 (multilingual)

Interested by something here, Christophe ?
ChristopheF

Post by ChristopheF »

I don't have Dungeon Master ST 1.2 and CSB Amiga 3.2.
Do you have originals or disk images? If originals, you may not be able to make images because of the copy protection

Christophe
meynaf
Novice

Post by meynaf »

My Dungeon Master 1.2 was an uncracked copy, and I had to
finish off the protection myself.
But there are still disk recognition routines that will not
work in a disk image - assuming the floppy is still working.

I disassembled the whole stuff, done some modifications, and
reassembled it on my Amiga (long ago).
So, now, I have an Amiga version of ST Dungeon Master 1.2,
with ASM sources - rather unreadable stuff :).

That's the version I use for all my tests, because it runs in full
multitasking, and allows screen grabs.

Amiga CSB 3.2 is an original, with my own hard drive install
patch, so it can be used everywhere.

For none of them I have a disk image, but I have
all the files. I HATE disk images ;-)
Both games work perfectly, up to the end.

If you're still interested in getting them, I'll
resurrect my old free.fr FTP and upload them there.
Or I'll put them whereever you like ;)
ChristopheF

Post by ChristopheF »

Of course, I'm still interested!
Can you send them to me by email or put them on your web site as you proposed?
Thanks!

Christophe
meynaf
Novice

Post by meynaf »

Of course I can !

Say "hello, big mail"... ;-)
(dis bonjour au gros mail)