[Custom Dungeon] [The Grave of King Millias] Feedback

This is an archive of the Dungeon Master Encyclopaedia forum
Wil

[Custom Dungeon] [The Grave of King Millias] Feedback

Post by Wil »

Crash!
So I say to myself: OK, let's try one of these new dungeons, it's gonna be great.
I choose one that's been here for long, Grave ok King Millias, rename dungeon.dat and play.
Then, it crashes at a stair (stair from level 2 to level 3), just after the room with 2 coin-ops! Hurgh! Never saw Dungeon Master PC hang like this!
Did I do something wrong? Isn't this dungeon for PC? Or should I try an older version (than 3.4)?
I don't understand, I see that beowuuf could play the game, why not me?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Re: [Custom Dungeon] [The Grave of King Millias] Feedback

Post by PaulH »

The dungeons seem to crash on some people's computers and not others for some obscure reason. I have had many odd hangs and crashes while testing. It is possible there is some bad hexing somewhere that is causing this such as a pressure pad with an unspecified graphic. One strange phenomana I have encountered is using a 'flat' pressure pad on level 3 (graphic three in DMute) which works OK when you first see it, then you descend to level 4 (or up to 2) and then back to level three and then you get a glitch or crash. And sometimes bringing back certain weapons or items from lower down caues a crash or the funny hovering graphic phenomena. I get the feeling this is casued by a glitch in the 'chesting' procedure as I have experienced a shuffling of items between monsters with certain keys. Anyway, I am sure our resident expert Beowuuf can shed some light on this.

Try Ambers Imprisoned dungeon, I found it very good.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Dunno how much help I can be, you've covered most of the bases...
I'm one of the ones that doesn't get affected by crashes unless they are from bad hex.
The solution that used to be said by people who did experience this said to do was

a) Create a teleporter on the first level. Target it down to the lowest level
b) Create a teleporter on the last level. Target it back up to the first level.

You can try this (squint while editing so you don't see anything : ) ). I do seem to remember only one graphical glitch in Filius, if that, but Paul is right, some games react badly. I personally have found a game runs fine with a glitch, and then the game playign th same area crashes with a glitch, so if you spot one, it might be worthwhile to do the good ol' squint and edit : )
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Wil

Post by Wil »

I hope I am not double posting, I have some trouble.
Thanks.
I remarked the same game (same gamesave) runs in Windows 98 or in Dosbox, but not in real DOS (Dos 6 or Dos W98).
Before I try the teleporter trick, I'll give other dungeons a try. Yesterday I started "Imprisoned again", it didn't crash and seems great work. The walls, the scrolls, the chars, everything was edited! And it seems it has gameplay. But I'll post later about it if I can finish the game.
Wil

Post by Wil »

I have an old PI computer now, with Windows 95. In DOS mode, with appropriate drivers, DM runs very well. On this computer, the dungeon doesn't crash anymore. I could finish it and I say:
1) don't be misled by the introduction text, compared to Imprisoned Again or the original DM it is rather short.
2) there is a good progressivity in difficulty
3) I like the training area: 3 sorts, and being somehow obviously hidden
4) There are 3 major difficult areas (forget progressivity here):
- the rats trap (Amberslike)
- the firestaff
- the dragons
Otherwise, it is not a fighter's dungeon.
5) I regret there is no diamond edge
6) The original texts have been moved, not edited (or so?).
7) It hangs on some computers
8) Nice riddles
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hi PITD,

Your reviews are much appreciated. In fact I don't think anybody else has taken the effort you have to play the new dungeons. I think this is important in the future of DM. If people show interest, then others will make new dungeons. A simple equation. With the new tools now avialable, this task is getting easier.

Thanks
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Just wanted to say I agree with PaulH! Your reviews are A Good Thing for the DM community.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Thank you. Actually I think it was Paul I had a heated debate with (just saying we disagreed at some point, but that's why it's called debate, right ?)at the start about how reviews are important and I further think I promised then I'd keep up the reviews even if playing dungeons would happen in irregular time steps.

Anyway, I think this is a comparatively small courtesy for the work done by all those designing, testing and probably cursing a dungeon until it can be played. In the mean time I have even more respect for that since I started to appreciate the finesse in some of the designs which might look not so tricky in DMute or CSBuild but ... just try and create them without practice. I did. More cursing going on there ;o)

Actually, I'm playing one of Paul H's at the very moment (The tower of Chaos) and having a good time - review will take yet a while, because there's a movie festival in town and I'll be damned if I miss the good stuff, but I'll be back...

BTW, Paul: I also started "The black flame" before but (at least for the first try) gave up on it because the Oitu in level 2 killed of my party pretty quickly. I tried three times but had no real chance - some hit would finish them any time... is the dungeon staying that hard ?

Regards, PitD
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hi PITD,

If I remember correctly, the Oitus on level 2 (there are originally two paths down, one into the 'city' and another passage to trolls, but both have Oitus) are very weak, and just need a good chop of a falchion or two. The reason why I added them early, but weakened, is because a lot of dungeons start with the same old mummies, screamers etc so I thought these would be a good test of speed and skill. As long as you don't take a bite!

HINT:

At the beginning, you transport down to the bottom level (the old trick of guarding against a lock up) but I added a little puzzle with a dragon to make it a little more interesting. Unfortunately I left the level 'deepness' at about 98 so you can train here quickly to help your progress. The dragon is almost invincible though, and you might not gain much from killing him (or her).

I wouldn't say the dungeon was overly hard, but certainly some bits will catch you out and involve certain tactics. But then again I know how its done!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

remembering this one again, i just want ot say one thng...i LOVED the dragon lair. Even now its one of my all time favourite parts in a dungeon, probably becuase this was one of my first dungeons i played. So no CSB, just DM, i was used to that sort of level of play...to sudden;y have to face three full dragons was quite a challenge. It actually required tactics, intelligently using spells and movement to continually isolate one from the herd, and also to maintian awareness so i wasn't trapped by sneaky monsters, or backing into corners and walls, or caught in crossfire

My hands were cramped, but i just remember it as one of the times when i felt a dungeon had upped my level of play after i finished it
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!