Great Job George!! 2 Quick dumb questions...

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
isamu
Apprentice

Great Job George!! 2 Quick dumb questions...

Post by isamu »

How do run the game in a Windows box? I can't seem to find any other option than full screen. Also is DMute compatible with RTC?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Great Job George!! 2 Quick dumb questions...

Post by George Gilbert »

1 - It is highly unrecommended that you run RTC in a window (the frame rate plummets and the mouse gets very jerky), but it can be done (in a deliberately undocumented way!)

2 - No; the ammount of effort required to turn DMute into something that could handle the more flexible RTC format isn't justifiable - it would be almost as easy to write a new editor from scratch :-(
isamu
Apprentice

hmm...

Post by isamu »

Jerky even on an Anthlon 1.3gig processor?

And what is the undeliberate method you mentioned?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

On my (now) lowly PII-450 the frame rate drops from a stable 110fps fullscreen down to as low as single figures when running in windowed mode. There are also a load of colour issues as it doesn't like being started up in a strange environment, and fullscreen is a nice constant for it (I've got to fix this one!)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Aww, just tell him!

I constantly play on the windowed version (except to check bugs), and haven't noticed a significant drop (don't have the fps copunter running, so no reference apart from how it feels)
This was on a 400Mhz celeron, 128Mb ram, ati rage ..umm, dunno if anything else affects it.

Of course, there's not any reason to run in windowed mode really, and if George is warning against it then you know you are trying it at your own risk. Put:

FULLSCREEN NO

in the config file, and NEVER touch the window when the game is loading. Either click off of it and do other things, or leave it running (otherwise it will crash).
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
isamu
Apprentice

thanks guys:)

Post by isamu »

It's no biggie, I just was planning on playing in W mode so incase my boss at work passes by I can just click on another window in the taskbar and tell him I'm working on an important report:)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LOL, nice plan : )
Try not to yell 'eat venoumous death you blue sons of chaos' or anything, when 'writing a report', it might worry your boss...

You can still alt-tab out of fullscreen, the problem with the
window is your mouse disappears when you go to the top window bar, so you have to guess at the minimise position or wait for the help info to pop up.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!