Infinitive Magic for DM2

This is an archive of the Dungeon Master Encyclopaedia forum
Matrix

Infinitive Magic for DM2

Post by Matrix »

Hi I'm Matrix and it's some time I stares all these forums here. Finally now I have decided to post my explorations here. All of yours are discussing here about dungeons, new dungeons and how to edit them. But had someone of yours an idea how to hack up skull.exe? Interesting or not, here is one of my favourite cheats (I have not seen it elsewhere, really I have not)>..>

Hex edit skull.exe (If ye wanna to..)
Find bytes 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 04...(few another bytes)
Edit them to 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

You gain infinitive magic energy. Still some magic weapons and maps are draining some energy, but isn't that exciting? Say...

PS: Don't go too far here are spell-identify bytes so(see woh, woi, toh...)
PS2: I tryied to find how to hack-up immortal health, for now without success...

That's all for now folks.

Hope someone will find use for that..
Zyx
DSA Master

Re: Infinitive Magic for DM2

Post by Zyx »

By the hex it looks like you are hacking the mana cost of the runes. Reducing them to zero you get infinite spells. I guess you have to edit 18 values (3 x 6 runes).
Matrix

Re: spells

Post by Matrix »

Well, I'm happy you answered me.

Yes that's it mana cost in hex values(I've discovered this many years ago...)
I'tell, you are correct - 18 values, but in case you gain infinitive magic(by the way I newer discovered what means a GOR spell, what is used for?), you may get bored after a few hours during playing. Did you know there in dm2 saved game when you edit it, you may gain max 1023 of your magic energy?

I'll tell you somethin', the first game even I played was DM1.
Imagine this > it's so exciting when you are in 5 years and even first game
you see and play is DM1. Therefore this explains my "old-strong-roots" on that game. I started with hacking games when I passed DM1, I wanted to create my own dungeons and by the time, I saw these forums around here, but I newer answered anybody. Finally, I can tell I have SOME experiences with hacking. I newer discovered how to hack DM1 saved games - because there is one value represented by two, maybe three other bytes in hex - there must be a constant form(for example when you change value 0x0d to 0x0e you must find next 0x0e and teplace it on prevous).

You get bored. Didn't you?

But that's nothing to Fires file - I'd hacked actions like [chop] to [lightning].
I can't exactly remember all of this positions in the file, but if you wanna to try it at your own> I get you a clue, from 00 01 02 03 04 there are Actions, just go ahead, until you reach 16-26 bytes from them.
One day, I had an idea, what's about to try every one byte per byte and map them onto a table. But finally there was only a sketches and nothing.
But I know that:

(Bored or not? heh...)

byte 00 - 20 there are fighter actions like CHOP in the begining and CLIMB DOWN or STUN in end.
and byte 45 is final I think.
bytes 20-22 are spells, bytes 23-30 are priest(spellshield, fireshield)
bytes 40-43 there is a SPIT and SOMETHING. And remember, there may be two action's represented by only ONE byte in hex(that's because the file was compressed by the LZ91 program- used by Id's to compress Wolfenstein-3d game too).

Or I've seen there is a spell system similar to DM2 in skull.exe > also there are bytes in hex you may find(01,02,03,04, xx, xx, xx, xx and few others) but after that you can't edit, or you get a system error message, also game may crash in worst case.

Also I've discovered there are 20th byte and 0th byte in dungeon.dat. Perhaps you know too. It represents a floor tile and a wall.

Now back to DM2 > where are champions statuses stored if not in graphics.dat. They are stored near the begining of file. Again maybe 200-300 bytes from begin.Else before that, there are Actions too in graphics.dat. And they are I think 50-150 bytes from begin - please take this as only my opinion. I just got you a clue, if ya interested.

But there is somethin' I cannot break - have you ever heared about
Debug Map? I read about this on DM2/Items in items table there on this server. But I'm thinks that there is no possible way to get it.

Or perhaps we can discuss a dm2 dungeon.dat format. Is there somethin' I may do?

Waiting for reply...
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

You discovered many things by yourself. Luckily, you are not alone, there is a little community of "hackers". If you search this site you'll find some descriptions of the format of several files.

In the misc files forum, download:
dmextractor v101 -->this will extract bitmap, sounds, texts and data files from the graphics.dat
csbedit --> it allows you to modify some already identified bytes of the data files.
Hextut (tutorial for dmute): you'll find several hex values for the dungeon.dat.

Also look at the description of file 558. It is very informative. You'll find at:
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=23191

(and check the fora by the way, if you didn't know them already!)

Most of the savegames and dungeon.dat have a checksum (a word at the end of the file), that's why, if you change a value but not the checksum, you have to change another value by swapping.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

I'll check that, thanks.