Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Re: Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Post by MasterWuuf »

One question remains with the forest:

How do I get out? I've killed a couple of large dragon, finding what was mentioned (eggs and armor, also still seems I found a heart once). The first time I escaped, after seeing what was mentioned, was when I decided to sleep. Ha. I woke up back at the room...but had failed to pick stuff up. I left it where it was laying, opting to finish whatever fighting was necessary and returning for it.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

You will return to the button room after a certain amount of time. The exception, is the 'For eternity' button. This button is for the Maleficient guild only and is the endgame for them, so never use it. If you chose this option, you'll need to reload from a previous save.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Went back to a prior save. Entered and was able to get to the dragons much faster this time. I was able to kill most of the 'runt' dragons with weapons, so had plenty of fireballs for the pot-bellied ones. I have two dragon hearts now, plus the dragon shin-guards and four dragon eggs or so. I then was zapped back to the room, so I saved it and figure that part of the game is finished.

I've never eaten a VEN egg, Phoenix. I question your appetite, friend. Ha.
Hmmm. I may try cooking a few of them at the spot that activates the spores.
Since I enjoy octopus and squid, I really should try out a few poison eggs, right?

I still haven't gotten the lightning-spell problem solved.
Also haven't found my lost Cerebus(sp?) or made homemade firebombs. So much new stuff in Conflux.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I only have my champions eat cooked eggs. Cooked VEN eggs are the second highest food source in Conflux. You can cook any egg (except cooked) with a torch.

You have to pass the Test of the Burning Hands on the Temple level in order to unlock the thunder spell(lightning). I haven't found that spell to be all that usefull in comparison to fireball or poison cloud.

Homemade firebombs? Are you talking about blast spores, vinegar bombs or white/black kath?
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

That ZYX thought of some of the most amazing things. Cooking a VEN egg over a torch fire?
Who would have thunk (spelled intentionally wrong)?

I don't figure I can cook a DRAGON egg, can I? Hmmm.

If I happen to find any GEESE running around? I'm gonna start selling goose eggs, for sure.
Perhaps trade them for some Portuguese coffee beans?

Anyway, I've saved a game back at my safe place, with dragon eggs and hearts in hand, as well as some fresh 'cooked' VEN eggs.
Might cook me up a dragon steak and have a proper breakfast.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Yes, you can cook dragon eggs, but they're not replaceable.

There are an amazing number of things you can do and make beyond DM/CSB abilities.

Did you save the black powder from the Mines?
Spoiler
Here's a bit of Alchemy for you to try. If you have black powder, you can skip to step 6.

1) Get a stone mushroom, place it on the floor and go explore the dungeon for a while. When you come back you should eventually find a pile of dust(dead mushroom spores) and another stone mushroom. Pick the mushroom off the floor and store it somewhere.
2) Get a boulder in one hand and the dead mushroom spores in the other and 'grind' to produce dust (saltpetre).
3) Take dust (saltpetre) in one hand and dust (ashes) in the other and 'mix' to make dust (nitro coal).
4) Take a cooked egg in one hand and a boulder in the other and 'grind' to produce powder (sulfur).
5) Take powder (sulfur) and dust (nitro coal) and 'mix' to get dust (black powder).
6) Take dust (black powder) and a KATH vinegar then 'mix' to get KATH vinegar(Black KATH)

Put the Black KATH in your active hand and find a monster that will chase you. Use the 'shake and drop' action and step back.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I don't believe I picked up any black dust from the mines, however I have quick access to that spot.

Have I missed all the clues to being able to do this kind of stuff, or is there some spot to get the 'alchemy' instructions?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I had to figure out all the combinations on my own. There are no in-game instructions for Alchemy. I've added the information to the wiki, and, in WIP_008, Zyx included a spreadsheet for the combos.

The last bit of Alchemy that I learned was also the best:
Major spoiler:
Spoiler
1) Take two chalcedonies and grind them with a boulder to produce dust (silicium).
2) Take two emeralds and grind them with a boulder to produce powder (chromium).
[Don't grind the Emerald of Fate!]
3) Take silicium and chromium and 'mix' them to produce dust (chromatic silicate).
4) Heat chromatic silicate with a torch to produce a glass rock.
5) Take one of the two glass rocks and 'coat' it with KATH vinegar(Vitriol) to produce a nitrovitrious rock.
6) With a glass rock in one hand and the nitrovitrious rock in the other, 'combine' to produce vitriglass.
7) Finally, take a torch and 'heat' the vitriglass to produce a flask!

This does give you a competition point for only the first flask you produce.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

^^ Wow (about that spoiler!). It's been many years since I played Conflux (only v2!) and I had no idea that Zyx had made v3 even cleverer and so full of amazing secrets! The guy is a genius.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Gambit37 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:39 pm ^^ Wow (about that spoiler!). It's been many years since I played Conflux (only v2!) and I had no idea that Zyx had made v3 even cleverer and so full of amazing secrets! The guy is a genius.
How true! And where on earth did he find the time to do all of this? Amazing talent and imagination. Thanks again, Zyx.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Finally figured out the 'burning hands' puzzle. It seemed so simple, yet I spent a great deal of time earlier, trying to figure it out.
Sixth level lightning looks like it should catch the attention of a titan.

I still haven't figured out how to open the first door, just after leaving the canteen area. This is the door around the corner from the door that opens and closes with a light-weight item.

By the way, I haven't seen another Cerebus pet. I remember finding one, but have no idea where he ran off to. :?:
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I've never really been a fan of lightning. There are no creatures that are significantly damaged by it compaired to fireball or poison cloud. The Test of the Burning Hands is good for collecting a few bags, and the dead ring is good for solving a puzzle in Moria.

The door outside the Officer's Canteen is opened by a scroll in the Council Chambers (not the White Chambers of the Council) and that's were it leads, so it's not really important.

With the exception of the one in the possesion of the Chamberlain, all cerberi are owned by a "boss". The Dark Councilor has one and so does Xanathar.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I believe I've encountered Xanathar, if I have the correct fellow in mind.

I took a trip to the room that needs the footprints cleaned up. I tapped on each of the fountains, as well as the button that says to keep cleaning. I must not be doing something that needs to be done, since none of the footsteps seem to disappear. Do I simply need to keep tapping on the floor in front of me?
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I once again, decided to try a couple of things.

1) Teleported myself down to the "Lord Chaos" area. I'm strong enough now, that I decided to try wiping all the immaterial, black and red fellows out. I must have killed 50 of them, sidestepping the Dark Lord. Finally even managed to find my way out of the place.

2) Tried to fight (Vespa?) whoever the bad guy is, where my team is invited to fight a Liche (or so, I figure that's what he is).
What an odd place in the game. ZYX is a crafty individual. I 'think?' I was doing well. Couldn't find a way to get healing flasks to the mouths of my team, so I pretty much watched things get darker and darker. And when I die there, the game doesn't give me the option to start over (ALT-F4 has become a friend in Conflux).

3) The room with the footprints. Tried different things to wipe up all the tracks, to no avail. If I ever catch the guy who entered there with dirty feet...grrr, death by a thousand feather strikes.

I did take a prolonged visit down the stairs to look over the waterworld area. Found a neat piece of armor (grieves?). Took a long time to drown. Guess I'll visit again and get that armor.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Re: 1)
That's the Altar of Nightmare. You can kill this Lord Choas for a wand of FUL, but that's all there is for this area.

Re 2)
Trying to kill Vecna is one of the last things you should attempt.
Spoiler
Vecna is very strong and can really only be injured by the unique mace of order that works on groups. The fight is long and you'' be blind for the majority of it. You reward for killing HER is to have every item in every champion's inventory (except flasks and bags) cursed and you'll get all four diseases! The shooters for the entire Crypt level will now shoot lightning!
Re 3)
Xanathar is a big red beholder. Since you haven't completed the Soap & Water puzzle, you haven't met him.
Spoiler
The fountains in the Soap & Water room grant access the VI EW spell for a limited time. Each time you cast VI EW it will eliminate one set of foot prints. Eventually, the spell will fail and you will need to touch a fountain to renew access. Once you have eliminated all the foot prints, press the eye button on the wall. If you missed a set of foot prints, it will say "Xanathar is watching you/keep cleaning", otherwise the closed metal door at the entry of the room and a wall near the northern end of the room will open. Behind the wall to the north, the main part of the Apprentice level can now be accessed which will eventually bring you to Xanathar's lair.
Yes, you really want the Coral Poleyn. It makes the wearer auto-heal.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Well, then Vecna doesn't seem like all that pleasant an expenditure of energy. :?

Vi Ew spell. How would a person figure this out without someone telling about it?
A few of the riddle answers seem all but impossible, without someone helping out.

The 'NO WINDS' section: I have found this a few times and am at a loss.
Also, the 'Give Me What I Want' (dragon heart?).

I also again came across, for the umpteenth time (yeah, probably not a real word),
the alcove that gives the, "...rich people want it, poor people have it, etc." riddle.
I've laid about everything I've found in there, but I must not have the item.
Haven't found a 'crawfish' or I might have even tried that. :lol:

Amazing, how a person can find an area in Conflux, never to locate it again. Ha.
I've searched for the 'city under attack' a number of times.
Wandering around is still profitable, however. I went back to the Golem Sentinel area
and picked up the Skull Key he drops. I decided not to use it in that area, preferring to use it elsewhere.

Been busy for a few weeks. Almost forgot some of the spells. I believe I will write some of them down.
That long-lasting light spell is a benefit.
I noticed ZYX used an old DM healing spell to give free water in Conflux.
Any chance there's a free food spell?

The 'level' maps are surely difficult for me to find.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Re: VI EW

Well, they are standard spell runes... There's a lot of trial and error. I had to basically gather two or more of every item in the dungeon and place them in a champions hands to figure out alchemy.

Winds(ice winds) are DM/CSB green boxes, they look like fancy lamps.

The "give me what I want" puzzle opens a wall to the east of that alcove. It's not important.

Laelith is the city under attack. It's accessed by the Altar of the Assalt in the Blackcrypt section of the Crypt level.

I'd actually recommend using that skeleton key in the High Sentinal area. It lets you avoid the flood on the Stairs of Ashes when returning from Moria.

VI gives you water in a flask, but you have to be UM master wizard to cast it. There is a locked spell to summon a worm which you can then kill for food, but that's about it. Since you have already explored the Spiders level, you probably can't unlock it. I only learned of it because I had Chani in my party for a game. Many of the secrets of Conflux are only revealed if you have certain champions in your party.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Keep hammering at it MasterWuuf, it is a difficult dungeon. I had to bust it to win, I doubt I ever could have done it otherwise.
keep your gor coin handy
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Finally found some time, so I wandered around the Conflux zoo for awhile.

Found the one-ring.

Found four pieces of armor (holy/divine) Oh, Ma, Ful, and another Oh or Ful.

Found dragon chest plate. Have dragon head/helmet (don't know if I already had that).

I honestly can't see any importance in any of these objects (yet). That ring keeps trying to marry me, however (get off my hand, dude!).

Getting a bunch of jewels, plus some extra keys.

Couldn't find the 'no winds' area again. This game seems massive, but I figure I'm just stumbling over much of the same territory.

I did kill another dragon (blue?) and a new creature that died before I could really get its image clearly planted in my head.

Wow, am I glad I wrote down some stuff. I would have definitely given up, if I had lost some of the spells I had figured out.
Ornery game stole my two main weapons, at one point, before I realized it. Ha. Good old 'saved' games. I try to keep one slot open for a safe spot, then one more for a spot that is a comfortable distance into my new wanderings. Then I can decide if I've wasted items (keys, coins, etc.) and feel good about coming back to the game.

I still wonder how many people have won this game without cheating. Considering all the 'hints' I've been given, I still seem to be wading around in thick mud, some of the time.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The One ring is cursed, best to store it somewhere.

Many objects are not really important. The Dragon and Holy armor are intended to be used by Halk and Mophus respectively.

Actually, quite a few people were involved in the original competition. Everyone like me who started years ago with Conflux 3.5B8 played with an encrypted dungeon. Each new release was a chance to learn more and try different things. Even given the number of times that I have "completed" the game, I still haven't played with all of the champions. I know what I know about Conflux because I've read what has been posted here and through playing it multiple times. With Conflux, I would really only now consider cheating to be altering the dungeon or player stats with the editor.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Will probably remove the curse on the one ring. Is it a necessary item, since I do almost no hand-to-hand fighting?

I'm still traveling with three characters, so I can opt for a fourth person to try out the special armors, if I choose.
I'll try to eventually get the 'healing' armor in the water.

I got tired of forgetting about the Leviathan axe and taking it out of my hand to check something out. Grrr.
I may pick it up again after awhile, since it does do a lot of damage.

Anyway, I opted for the time being at last, for a War Axe (regular, rather than Funereal).
FUNEREAL items: May have asked before, but do they have an advantage over regular weapons?

Was hoping for a few days to play some Conflux. Hard to believe I'm almost irritated to find out I have about four-days of work to do, so I'll be in motels until Friday. I haven't even checked out the new maps I found (Moria and Emerald). Later, always later.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

For the most part, funereal weapons are just items that you collect for the Competition. If you are not playing the Competition (carrying the Competion scroll from the Guilds) then they are not important. You can get 7 points for the Competition by collecting 7 funereal weapons.

Major spoiler:
Spoiler
Funereal weapons poison the monster they hit. With the exception of the rapier (fleshbite sustained), they constantly drain Strength. They do the same amount of damage as their non-funereal versions.

There are a number of Lord Greys throughout the dungeon that are immortal (health = 65535). Spells and normal weapons don't affect them. If you attack one with a funereal weapon, the funereal poison makes them mortal and, they can now be killed by normal weapons. This is the only way you can obtain the katana (breathsteal) from the Captain. They don't work on the true immortals (Death and Morpanthrax) or on the Steel Sphynx of Mophus's quest and Cobalt Knight of Halk's quest. Furx and Caliburn are still the best weapons to carry.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I realized I still have the competition scroll with me. Guess I thought, "Hmmm, wonder if THIS is important?"

Wish I would have had the clarity of mind to make sure I retained my Wizard's Pet. The varmint wandered off and hasn't been seen since early in my game.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Finding some new creatures, even the fire puddles?
Ha. Tried every attack I could think of and finally realized I could simply walk over them.

Also found a wooden door with an 'eye' just to the right of it.
Can beat swords and chain mail, but not a club? Another puzzle that I seem to be missing the point on.

Any chance there's a place to view the various creatures in Conflux? I rarely know their names. Especially interested in the big, yellow guy who can still kill my guys with one swing. Yipes! Didn't expect that at this point.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Figured out the riddle of what can beat sword and chain mail.

Thanks Gambit. I'll peek at the pictures.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

In addition to the creatures in Gambit's link, https://dmwiki.atomas.com/wiki/Conflux/ ... ral_Forces lists the "boss" creatures.

In Conflux, even if you have all the best armor, weapons and have 999 health, there are still creatures that can kill your entire party in one or two attacks.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Thanks for the addresses to see a few more bad guys.

I believe I may equip the funereal war axe, rather than a regular war axe.
The added benefits may come in handy, plus I'll at least have a usable item to 'eventually' raise my axe in victory over a Dark Lord.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I'm not sure if you are talking about the Dark Councilor, but he's also not affected by weapons by design. There are multiple monsters that just aren't intended to be attacked to be defeated. There are others forces that cannot be defeated by any means.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Been meandering around again, especially in the metal doors area, with the brown, blue-gem and green cross hints.
If I find it again, I'll try a pair of brown shorts/rags. The Eckhardt (sp?) cross didn't help, that I could tell. And the blue gem???

Did decide to build up the 'fighter' stats of one champion. Sadly, I chose to keep facing those black-rock looking goons. Again and again. Then I noticed my champion was 'in the red' and found out the strength stats were in the lower 30's (was 68 or 69 when I came up with this grand idea). Ah yes, the wisdom of properly using the SAVED GAME feature. Went back to a prior save and now my team has a new outlook on the future.

That ornery, little ZYX guy. He should have thought of placing a few 'anti-depression' pills in some of those alcoves. :wink:
"Wuuf's big brother"