DSB 0.76 sound system overhaul

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

DSB 0.76 sound system overhaul

Post by Sophia »

I was able to find some documentation for FMOD and delve back into it, so I decided to revisit the DSB sound system as well. For 0.76 I have decided to make some pretty big changes to how DSB handles sound that should hopefully address some of the issues from this thread.

The biggest change is that DSB (or, more properly, FMOD) will now consider the presence of walls when determining the attenuation of sound. Monster footsteps on the other side of a wall will be audible at a much lesser distance than if they are out in the open. Doors and blocking flooritems are currently not supported; they are a bit trickier because they are insts and right now the geometry passed to FMOD is generated by a quick scan of the dungeon's grid, but there are usually enough walls around you won't notice much of an effect anyway.

DSB 0.76 will include sound_info.lua to expose all of this to the dungeon designer. The soundfade variable has also been moved there, since it seems something more suited to tweaking by the dungeon designer than the end user anyway.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: DSB 0.76 sound system overhaul

Post by Gambit37 »

Blimey! :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: That's amazing, and exciting. Thank you for looking at this, I can't wait to see how this affects the atmosphere... :D