Coronavirus

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Coronavirus

Post by MasterWuuf »

Things are getting a little strange in the United States of America.

A saw a 'pun' video, with a guy treating toilet paper as if he were negotiating a drug deal.
Some things are getting almost that bad. The paper aisles in most Walmarts are empty, as well as the hand sanitizer shelves.

I'm hoping all of my DM friends and associates are keeping safe and healthy.

All the best to all of you, MW
"Wuuf's big brother"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Gambit37 »

I work at the Natural History Museum in London, and yesterday they announced they will be closed for the next two months -- as are all major galleries and museums. I'm now working from home for two months, as is my partner -- who is also pregnant: we're expecting a baby at the end of May, so the virus is worrying from that perspective. But we are still (relatively!) young and healthy so we are OK right now, but who knows what the future will bring? These are unprecedented times...!

As for the shops, yes, everyone has gone a bit crazy and lots of things are now out of stock. This is a consequence of the last 40 years of building a "just in time" supply chain. That is going to be hard to solve quickly, but hopefully once the initial panic buying slows down, the system will catch up again...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Wow. Yeah, it's pretty crazy - I don't know wtf is the obsession with bog roll specifically - food and stuff, fine, yeah, if you're gonna be stuck indoors for a week or two and not gonna be able to resupply. But bog roll? Who needs that much bog roll? And I think a lot of people haven't really thought much about the hand-cleaning stuff. I see lots of references to anti-bacterial stuff from people who either haven't considered or don't know to consider that this thing is called a "coronavirus", not a "coronabacterium" - if viruses and bacteria were the same thing, they wouldn't need two different names, and something that kills one isn't necessarily gonna work on the other. Soap is fine. Wash your hands. Job done. And we're probably all gonna end up getting it sooner or later anyway - presumably it'll be an unpleasant week of feeling incredibly crap and then getting over it and continuing as normal. Just need to keep it away from those whose immune systems may be less capable of dealing with it, as well as staggering the rate at which people get it so that we don't have everyone all ill at once.

I'm not so fussed about the disease, but the fact that my entire department at work has been recently told (for reasons entirely unrelated to the virus) that we're being made redundant is incredibly badly timed - surprisingly enough, very few places seem to be recruiting/interviewing right now. I can't imagine why that could possibly be :P. So far my work is continuing as normal, though - we just have no idea what's going on over the next couple of weeks (even without the virus :P).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear about the impending redundancies. That's hard to deal with at the best of times, it'll be very tough with this virus going around. I'm not sure what sort of support packages the Gov are planning for that sort of situation, it might be worth doing some research into that?
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

So happy for you, Gambit, in regard to the new little one on the way.
I will share your worries and concerns.
Please keep us informed, as to how things are going. Great time of life. Last thing you both need, is a health scare.

All the best, MW
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The redundancy thing for my department is actually not linked to the virus - this was a thing being planned by people over our heads (and without our knowledge) for a long time, we've been told. They're basically outsourcing most of the stuff we do (receiving and processing post) and replacing our department with three new roles, which we can apply for if we want. Most of our department aren't going to bother, I don't think, but since nowhere seems to be recruiting right now (hmm, I wonder why :P) and I really don't want to be signed on again (hey, that's if the Job Centre is even open right now :P), I've put my name in as interested. For now. We're still basically applying for these, our old roles are being made redundant so these new jobs are ones we have to apply for. But I think we'll basically get it unless more of us want the jobs than there are roles (which doesn't seem like the case right now). But if I had somewhere else I could go, I'd do that - I don't particularly want to stick around with a company that's just gonna throw us out like that - they did it to a different department last month, too (but claim that now doing it to us is entirely unrelated - who knows how true that is? Well, they do, I suppose :P). Some of the redundant people have been with the company for thirty years or more :P. And apparently we're not supposed to mention this to any other department. But hey, it's not like any of signed an NDA on that or anything - they just asked us to keep it quiet (which doesn't seem remotely shady :P), so I suppose if anyone actually asks us what's going on, we can't exactly lie about it :P.

Sorry, bit ranty. It's just sooo badly timed alongside the whole virus thing, and no-one making the decisions seems to care. I kind of hope that the company they're outsourcing too suddenly has loads of virus problems (ie unable to do what they need to because of said virus) and that they find there's loads of little things our department used to do but which they never bothered to ask us about and so don't know how to deal with (or even that they need doing in the first place). Well, the latter I suspect will happen anyway, to some degree. But it looks like I'm gonna be stuck here a while longer, in the new role. First chance I get, though? BYYEEEEE :P.

Sorry, ranting again, lol. Gah, too many stupid people in the world :P.
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

Gabmit Congrats man, I'll Think of you and your family let us know of any updates.
I briefly touched on this in the discord but I should atleast share my story. I live alone Most of my state is shut down(oregon), No dine in places open its all To go and I think limited hours. Similar stories of no TP and hand sanitizer in stores. Various foods isles are sometimes empty. There is a target near my work that seems pretty stocked though, atleast food wise. I'm a janitor the pdx airport has NOT Shut down, International flights are cancelled but there is still flights in america. I suspect even if it pass to the airport and it is forced closed, since my company does the majority of cleaning they will be tasked to keep it cleaning. I will continue to work till i show signs of any symptoms. But already stopped visiting people and limit exposure while traveling to work and back. remember if your thinking your a carrier or quarantine that doesn't mean you LITERALLY need to stay in the house, just be like 6 to 8 feet from someone else. it's important to go for walks and do things not sleep all day or spend all your time on computer or watching something. Save whatever money you have, obv get food and things you need but whatever money you might have now might be needed in the coming months. A realistic goal is get through April and reevaluate how things are going. Keep a leveled head during this crisis worrying too much can make thigns worse, Even if you do get sick even if not the Covid19 take more precautions, use food delivery options if you can(door dash, etc). But always look to the good things in life, find something you love and do that. I'm still healthy and going shopping and finding the things i need. Now that there is less people at the airport I'm less worried about catching it, but always take care.
Want to talk about Dungeon master, or shoot the breeze, come check out Dungeon Master Discord(not affiliated with
other DM series sites) @ https://discord.gg/5YzEcPT
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Congrats Gambit on the upcoming baby screamer! I hope all goes well. And sorry to hear about your company Ameena. The timing really sucks. :(

I am able to wfh luckily, and I am still healthy. It is a bit lonely of course - my partner is trapped in the UK while I am in Germany, and I am living on my own. But this will end, and on the grand scale of things I am certainly one of the lucky ones. I get out once a week or so to do some shopping (though I might look into home deliveries), and every day I go out for a run.
boyflea
Expert

Post by boyflea »

Wow - firstly, hello all, yes the world is mad but things will be fine.
Gambit - congratulations! Keep calm and things will be absolutely awesome!
Ameena - good luck with the jobhunt - I was laid off just before Christmas with so much going on in UK right now, I am struggling.
My thoughts and love go to you all - hang onto your toilet paper for this incredible journey; something to tell your grandkids one day :)
The stonework walls? Pristine. The floor? Level. The waterworks? Flowing. Central heating? The Dragon in the basement was grumpily heating the pipes. Lord Chaos consulted the blueprints again, looking for the bathroom. #playmygame!
mancini
Novice

Post by mancini »

Medical experts warned that the virus could infect vital organs such as the heart in spite of the lungs. stay safe