Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Phoenix
Expert

Re: Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Post by Phoenix »

Welcome to Moria. The gem crosses are just short cuts to other areas. They require a gem in the little divit in the walls which will then act as a door button. You don't really need to use them. The only one I use is the brown cross since chalcedonies can be created with the mysterious bag spell.

The ekkhard cross is suposed to repell the undead, but I've never really seen the benefit.
BTW, that blue dragon you fought earlier was Smaug.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I'll have to try a gem (chalcedony) on the brown. Will it work on all of them?

Guess I'll check in my Ekkhart cross for a better necklace.

My bones feel icy and fragile. I'm water-logged with 'health' potion, but my old bones still refuse to heal.
Am I carrying something, or using something, that makes this happen?

I also noticed the funereal axe seems to sap some of my stats. Switching to the 'special' Mace of Order, hoping that will help.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

No. You can only use chalcedonies on the brown gate.

You have cought one of the four diseases in Conflux (most likely from an umberhulk). Try taking a chewer pod and press it out into a flask for juice. After that you'll need to use ichor(heal) or serum(anti-venom) until you get a "you feel better" message. Wines and some beverages (not vinegar,vitriol, acids) have a small percentage chance to cure diseases. I haven't seen any difference in strength, so use LO versions of ichor and serum. Boosting vitality via potion can help as well but not cure. Since you have "bone cold", that champion will take 2x damage from fireballs. Believe it or not, diseases were nastier in earlier versions of Conflux.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Decided to try out the teleportation scroll. WHAT??? Does it only work ONE time???

Please tell me this isn't the only teleportation scroll in the game.
What a great feature, but ZYX wouldn't do this to me...would he???

What a great game. But I still hope that's not the only teleportation scroll. I had such high expectations, as I ventured forth to get that 'healing' armor, considering the 'drowning' feature of the game. Ha.

I was surprised to find a couple of new creatures underwater. Is there a chance ZYX added a couple in the later versions?
As many times as I recall drowning (about 10-years back), I simply can't fathom 'missing' these guys before.

That eternal torch is a huge benefit, however. I'm becoming an egg-cooking gourmet.
Still haven't picked a fourth adventurer.

Found another section in the spider level. That was a pleasant surprise, now that I've found out spiders are my friends (May I have an order of bacon with my eggs, please?).

I may never finish this game, but I'm surely enjoying the experience.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

There are 5 teleport scrolls, and yes, they can only be used once. ZYX intended them to be used primarily for escaping situations where you might be trapped (The Hells and the Cruel pit come to mind off hand). If you don't use the anchor spell, the default destination is Aquatana. I've used the spell to get two items from the Topaz cross, but it's a bit of work to get it right, and it consumes a coin.

The only problem with the eternal torch is that it's indistinguishable from any other torch. It really needs some special text like the other unique objects.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

The other four teleport scrolls have eluded me, at least for now.

The 'no winds' thing is still an unsolved puzzle for me. I dropped my wind 'lamps' before entering. I don't know what I'd be carrying that has to do with 'wind' in my inventory.

Odd thing, how many unopened doors, grates, etc. still remain just past the canteen.
I even have some of the yellow, electrified-looking doors remaining in the spider section.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The "No winds" barrier is only the first of three. In order to get through it, you cannot have any winds, purses, or rings. Even in bags. The normal magic purses are the CSB/DM blue boxes.

There are two RA doors on the Spider level. One, you have already visited, required a SAR key to open (Topaz cross). The other is the end of "The path of light".
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

No purses? Would never have thought of that. Guess I'll empty a few of each items from my 'purses' and leave the rest back at the ranch (or hallway, in this case). Already set the one-dumb and cursed-ring on the ground, on my special-items corridor. :P
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

That 'cruel pit' is a place I had never decided to try out. I think I'll skip any repeats on that one. Once again, the wisdom of the 'saved game' is shown as a best case scenario.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Yeah, the cruel pit and the hells are best to be avoided. I also can't recommend "unleashing hell" which causes Conflux to channel DM2 levels of annoyance.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I seem to occasionally find a door that has gold decorations. There's a picture of a key to the left.
It says it has such strength and power, I am made of the same stuff this door is made of.

Since I rarely find this door, I'm hoping it isn't a club. I've tried gold coins, etc. I've tried branches.

Oh yeah, and I also found the back way up to Mr. Brown with the black cloak. Always nice to visit folks, but is this an immortal?
What is my purpose with this guy?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Those are emerald doors, so you can guess what key is required. I don't think I've ever opened any of them. Unlike DM/CSB there a some doors that just don't need to be opened. Take the grate door next to the Mines elevator, if you open it, munchers start populating the level.

That's the Dark Councilor, and yes, he's immortal. He's an endgame boss that you need to kill to reach that ending. He has a cerberus and the powergem, "The Heart of the Dwarven Fortress". The Oracle, where you found the dragon helm, has the only hint you need to defeat him. Be sure to bring that special mace of order for the aftermath.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Although I only played Conflux 2, I've been reading this Conflux 3 thread for years. I love seeing all the cool things that Zyx created and seeing how you've all come together to help understand what is clearly an incredibly complex game. It warms my heart after all these years to see this sort of collaborative exploration of a friend's creation, and how it's still captivating people years after it's original creation. Amazing stuff! :D
Splatmania
Novice

Post by Splatmania »

Been just loving Conflux since I found it...but I really want to try Deathtrap Dungeon and I can find a version where I can get in it :cry:
Please can any one point me to a download of the last working DD version PLEASE
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Hello, I didn't find any among the downloadable versions. If I remember correctly it can be accessed from deep within the dungeon.
What Is Your Quest ?
Splatmania
Novice

Post by Splatmania »

Thanks for the info I will carry on digging down...I did find some notes in this the about the end of one of the guild leaders quests so I will get going on them. Not started those yet only just finished my first run through. Must say Conflux is a stunning dungeon...
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Phoenix wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:45 am Those are emerald doors, so you can guess what key is required. I don't think I've ever opened any of them. Unlike DM/CSB there a some doors that just don't need to be opened. Take the grate door next to the Mines elevator, if you open it, munchers start populating the level.

That's the Dark Councilor, and yes, he's immortal. He's an endgame boss that you need to kill to reach that ending. He has a cerberus and the powergem, "The Heart of the Dwarven Fortress". The Oracle, where you found the dragon helm, has the only hint you need to defeat him. Be sure to bring that special mace of order for the aftermath.
I take it that I can't beat the Dark Councilor now, unless he's teleported elsewhere if I actually damage him enough to get rid of him for the time being. I'll make sure to put the special mace of order in my inventory, if I decide to use another weapon for my second frontline person.

As far as any hint from the Oracle area: I have no idea where I found the dragon helm. I'm relatively sure I didn't find it in an early Dungeon Master game, transferring it over to Conflux. :o

I also meant to ask if there is any reason to go through the 'nostalgia' area where all the screamers, munchers and their big brothers reside. The spot that has a skeleton key hole that does not take a skeleton key in the first place? I've pounded every wall, hoping to find some reason for the room/area.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

IIRC, Deathtrap dungeon requires an additional external dat file (http://www.cyberskald.com/conflux/deathtrap_dungeon.dat) to access it. You start the game in that dungeon and it ends there. There's no going between the two.

The Oracle is located near the emerald store, just up the stairs from the high sentinel.

He can be killed, just not by weapons or spells.

The garden is just for fun
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Quick note that the Deathtrap Dungeon link is dead, the website doesn't exist.
Splatmania
Novice

Post by Splatmania »

Yea, link is dead. I don't expect anyone still has the file they can stick on Zippyshare or some such?
Follow on for that thought....I am slightly shocked that being Conflux is just so good why are all the files (older versions) still not available for download. Seems that if we are all still playing this some many years on it must be good enough to store somewhere for more people to discover.

I myself played and finished DM&CSB back in the day (started on ST finished on the Amiga) and 30 years later are still going and loving it. I'mjust sorry I have only stated this now the files seem to have gone. Anyway just a though for you good people who may still have the files hidden away somewhere. Maybe a good reason for another update to the Dungeon Master Encyclopaedia. Anyway back to it, thanks for your time.
Splatmania
Novice

Post by Splatmania »

PS Only good thing to come out of this virus shutdown. More time to play!
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Splatmania wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:13 am PS Only good thing to come out of this virus shutdown. More time to play!
:o :wink:

P.S. One other good thing: Time to finally catch up on (hopefully) all of my paperwork.
Oddly, people tend to expect me to 'bill' them before they pay me. :shock:

This has been such a great life...and Conflux is yet another pleasant DM-type memory to carry along with me in life.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Hmm. That's ZYX's personal site...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh! Well the Internet Archive last crawled the site in 2016, but there's no active link to the Deathtrap Dungeon dat file:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160809053 ... m/conflux/
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Hello everybody, thank you for all this sharing and blowing life into it. Here's a temporary link to the deathtrap dungeon (not very interesting imho):
https://filebin.net/q2aprekovewjndvh/de ... t=6lghc705
Splatmania
Novice

Post by Splatmania »

Thank you Sir. Something this good probably will never die until DM dies and I can't see that any time soon, not until us old gits who remember the DM original die with it! Well done by the way Zyx you have kept me smiling now for the last couple of months playing this and I am sure there is far more time to still go, cheers to you. I still can't believe it has taken me this long to find. Probably, and I hate to say it I tend to use RTC and not CSBWin, because of the amount of extra dungeons!? Who knew I would miss the best one!

I don't suppose that with this virus outbreak you are going to find time to add a couple more levels...OK may be a a little to much to ask ;)
Thanks again for your time.
Splatmania
Novice

Post by Splatmania »

Zyx a quick PS while I think about it...
Does that mean (the upload of the DD file) that it is not available still in game somewhere maybe at the end of the Guild Masters quests?

I think I would rather leave it until I find it in game if it is...
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Haha, if (when?) I find the time and availability, I wouldn't add anything, I would only try to get rid of the bugs and restore the awesomeness of giant scorpions.

And if I ever find a LOT of time, I would start a new dungeon with the following premises:
1. Everything works as an ecosystem, with rules allowing seasonal and populational changes but avoiding complete collapse.
2. Some populations would be smart enough to protect their possessions and territory with doors, caches and traps. They would build or forge their items, requiring ressources.
3. Some wild populations could evolve into a few branching possibilities according to the medium.
4. Some alliances could be made between 2 or more species, and some wars too.
5. The first player to play a dungeon would cross it with one character only leaving an imprint (bring rare ressources to a species, vanquish a king, mediate trade agreements, setup religions, distribute important items - with real impacts on economy and powers of the inhabitants- etc) that would set up the state of dungeon.
6. A second player would then receive the savegame at a particular point where he/she would hear the last (cursing and hateful?) words of the current, (dying?) character and choose a new party of four characters from the start of the dungeon who would play it as a traditional dungeon.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I seem to remember the deathtrap dungeon was cut out from Conflux because it was of poor quality.
Once upon a time, in previous versions, at the very beginning, if you stepped on the closed pit and stepped back before it would open, you would gain access.
Splatmania
Novice

Post by Splatmania »

You don't think small do you mate ;)
thanks again