Dungeon Master II in RTX walkthrough?

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lalaune
Neophyte

Dungeon Master II in RTX walkthrough?

Post by Lalaune »

Hello!

I recently started playing Dungeon Master II through Return To Chaos 0.49.

In this forum I read of people who said they had played it completely in RTC.
I haven't played DM II ever before (just DM 1 and CSB), but I still got through the game rather far, without needing any help.

But now I am stuck at the room with the huge crystal. So I had a first look at some walkthroughs. I noticed, that all the walkthroughs I found had some clear differences to what I experienced in RTX-DM2:

At the room with the crystal it's said that you had to destroy it, by shooting it with lightnings generated by the powered up machine. I have done this and the 'lightning thrower' is wotking.
You also need to redirect fireballs towards the cystal using the reflectors, but: There are no fireballs coming from the two double-fireball throwers, no matter how often I switched anything in range.
(Btw: The often mentioned 'stone people' don't seem to do anything, though. I have to load the glowing stones manually into the burner.)
Do you know if I could still continue the game, somehow, or have I run into a bug?

Another question regarding DM2 in RTC:
From reading the walkthroughs It seems normal to find the scout map and the attack map in the garden. But I instead have the basic magic map and the advanced map. I inspected the gardens multiple times and very thorough, but I couldn't find any of the other maps. Why?

Thank you for help :)
Saumun
High Lord

Re: Dungeon Master II in RTX walkthrough?

Post by Saumun »

It’s a long time since I played it, but the fire in the furnace will go out and I don’t think the rock men replace the pyros in the RTC version.
Check the furnace... and if it has gone out, relight it and make your way back to the crystal room as quick as you can.
You should be able to tell if it has gone out, in the room with the gauges.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Lalaune
Neophyte

Post by Lalaune »

Hello!

I have seen that the rocks just burn for a limited time, and I can se ethe furnace still running in the control room, also the lightning generator that is driven by the generator is working. So my problem is not about the 'main quest' - it's about a secondary thing, namely the fiereballs that are supposed to come out on the opposing side, just by themselves (from waht I have read, there never was a problem for anyone not having the fireballs running..).
That's why I fear I might have run into a bug..
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I’m not sure then. When I played the RTC version, the only problem I remember was having to relight the furnace.
Lalaune
Neophyte

Post by Lalaune »

Well, as I have no other information, and the walkthrough for the original DM2 doesn't mention this, I have to assume that I have run into a bug :(
You don't happen do still have an old savegame from this point in the game after so many years? :)
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I’ll take a look, but it will be later today.
Lalaune
Neophyte

Post by Lalaune »

No problem, I have been waiting more than 20 years with playing that game :)
Thanks for your help!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Sorry. The only save I have is right at the start from when I was trying it with imported champions.
Lalaune
Neophyte

Post by Lalaune »

OK, thank you for trying.
Guess I will have to wait 20 years more, for having the mood to play the game again (maybe the original) then :)
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Just checking... have you definitely turned on the fire valves in the room that you use the master key to open?
I just checked the mechanics in the editor, and can’t see any reason the fireball launchers wouldn’t work (apart from the fire valves being off).
Lalaune
Neophyte

Post by Lalaune »

I only toggled the big power switches (one next to each launcher-pair and one in the mid before the door). I have checked the few pipes at the walls multiple times and didn't notice any interactive element there?
Where are there valves?
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

They’re in a room next to the moving blue teleports (I don’t remember which floor that is). There are fire and water valves. They can be switched on via the wheel on the pipes (make sure the furnace is still burning).
Lalaune
Neophyte

Post by Lalaune »

Ahhh. you are right. Now I remember about these: There's some bug rendering these valves invisible for some reason in may playthrough.
https://ibb.co/Y07KP1Y

When I click the empty mid between those pipe ends it actually does click, but I don't know the curretn state of the valves. Also I don't know if I have to operate these after enabling the machine again, or if I could do this before, but I will try some more! :)
Lalaune
Neophyte

Post by Lalaune »

Got it! I am finally through that door! Thank you veeeeeeeery much! :D :P
Lalaune
Neophyte

Post by Lalaune »

So my assumption that there was a bug was wrong. These valves are just drawn a bit weirdly, with the flame having to fly through the open air a bit.
OK, I am now through with the Dungeon Master Sage :)
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

No problem. Happy to help.