DM2 for Windows: skwin / skwinspx / skproject status

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

DM2 for Windows: skwin / skwinspx / skproject status

Post by ChristopheF »

I'd like to understand the differences between these related projects/programs and their development status in order to update the description of SKWIN (and DMDC2 / DM2GDED) on the Encyclopaedia. I know development was initiated by kentaro as DM2_SKSAVE_Converters based on japanese versions of the game, and that Sphenx joined the effort later.

So here are some questions I have for kentaro and/or Sphenx:
  • What are the branches, and their status.
  • What is the most recent version?
  • What are the main variants of each program (skwin, DMDC2, DMGDED)? Is there one version that is 'better' and recommended for all usage, or are there different variants with differents features, and if so what version should be used for what usage?
  • What games/dungeons are fully playable?
  • Is development still ongoing or is considered feature complete?
I see the latest release of skwinspx available is from 2017-04-17 at http://dmbuilder.sphenxmusics.fr/skwin.php
It contains skwin only with 3 executables.

The latest release of skproject available is from 2016-12-31 at https://github.com/gbsphenx/skproject/releases
It contains skwin + DM2GDED + DMDC2
For skwin, there are 3 executables, what is the difference between them ?
  • SKWin.Extended.exe
  • SKWin.Extended.Super.exe
  • SKWin.Standard.exe
The source code contains 4 more executables, what is their purpose?
  • SKWin.Mod.Release.exe
  • SKWin.Release_EN_JP.exe
  • SKWin.Release_JP_JP.exe
  • SKWin.SuperMode.exe
In the menu, there are options to select the dungeon. TQ and DM2 Beta do not work and cause a system error 41 (missing data file). Is there a way to make them work, or are these options only there for future improvement?
Sphenx
On Master

Re: DM2 for Windows: skwin / skwinspx / skproject status

Post by Sphenx »

It has been a while I did not work on skwin -- at some point because I had some HDD failure then issues with my dev environment a couple of years ago ...
But I should be able to find working copies of the project and rebuild at the point where we were.

Short answer: it is not yet complete. The DM2 dungeon is playable but some functions are not yet implemented and I remind some crashes may happen.

However we did some efforts to make the code compatible with PC-DOS data, enabling in some way the 256 colors graphics and also extend some capabilities of the program, hence modified versions of DMDC2 and DMGDED to match the engine. But I think these versions should still work for 'regular' edition.

I need to check this stuff.

I kept different versions of the program in order to be able to build the "standard" version which is based on the PC-98 and the others having the extended capabilities, hence the differents exe.

Extended version has the new extended functions over Standard version -- which should match retail DM2 behaviour.
Super/SuperMode is a test mode for starting with overboosted champions
For what I recall, JP_JP is the japanese version (original PC-98 program) using the full Japanese graphics.dat and EN_JP is a mix with English (from the graphics.dat too I think ?) Because there have been several versions of graphics.dat.
The "mod.release" might be the old name for "extended".

The menu should allow to select the different original dungeons (Dungeon Master / Chaos Strikes Back / Skullkeep (beta) / Skullkeep) as long as the corresponding dungeon.dat are provided. Maybe there are missing in the package you took... As well for Theron Quest, that I don't find anymore in my local workspace. I need to gather all pieces to rebuild this.

The other dungeons (DM1) cannot be yet fully playable because some original DM functions -- specially those around the actuators -- were obviously dropped from the original code from DM1 to DM2. Although using CSBWin code it would be possible to import them back to SKWin code.

Then I know what I will work on in the next following weeks :wink:
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

If I triggered your interest on this project again then that is fine, but that was not my goal :)
I am sorting out all the DM stuff I have accumulated on my hard disk over the years and I have multiple versions of these programs with many names and unclear version numbering (which I understand if it is still a work-in-progress).
I think it would be nice (if not too time consuming for you) to create an up-to-date release of SKWIN / DMDC2 / DM2GDED with a short description of the different executables and their respective features, what works and what doesn't (as far as you know). So that people who may be interested in the project know where to start from.

I might help fill the gaps in skwin in some distant and hypothetical future :)
As I said, I am currently processing years of backlog regarding DM stuff. This should occupy me for a few more months. Then I will work again on ReDMCSB for some months too to prepare a public release: last november I have completed the reconstruction of the source code of all known versions of DM/CSB except DM SNES, but this is all a big mess right now and I need to clean that up to make it usable by someone else than me.
After all that (which should easily bring us to 2021), I might start working on the DM2 engine, extending ReDMCSB to at least some DM2 versions. I know I can do the same kind of reverse engineering I did on DM/CSB to reconstruct the original source code of DM2 as well. It is only a matter of finding the necessary time. skwin source code would certainly help me accelerate some things, just like CSBwin source code helped me at the beginning. The IBM PS/V, PC-9801, PC-9801 demo, PC-9821 & PC Beta versions of DM2 were all compiled using Turbo C++ like DM PC. The final PC version of DM2 was compiled with Watcom C. Amiga, Macintosh and Sega CD versions were made on Macintosh with THINK C and use .FTL files (same compiler, although in newer versions, as used for DM/CSB 3.x Amiga/X68000). And FM-Towns version was compiled with High C, just like DM/CSB on that platform.
In the end, this means actual source code could be integrated/adapted in skwin to fix the remaining issues/gaps.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Hi Christophe, Hi Sphenx,
perhaps my latest code of DM2 is a little helpful too. I made a dropbox-project with Sphenx and there should be my latest code. Sphenx and me left the project almost the same time. While Sphenx could name a lot of variables, maybe my code is even a bit more stable. I did it with a lot of selfwritten recompiling tools. At least it could help, when going into the details to compare the codes to get the idea.
I also made a version of DM and CSB with the sourcecode in one, splitting the code just by setting defines. I could play both to the end without crash, while I stopped testing the DM2 code in the area with the wolves, so pretty short from the start. If needed, I'll try to collect things together.
But I don't really want to further develop it.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Hi Bit,
Yes I would also be interested by packages of your ports of DM1 and DM2. If you can provide easy to use versions and their source code, I'll add the files (or links to them) in the Encyclopaedia.
Thanks!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Be a little patient please - must dig them out and test. Don't want to provide wrong stuff. Especially have to check if they compile with the newer MSVC-Express-Versions and then they need a library (Allegro) which came up with a brandnew layout. Maybe I can port that. If not, it has to work with the latest stable official version. That library is still alive, but it's very very quiet there.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Quick update, I certainly need to update my dev environment as I was not able to compile DM2GDED nor DMDC2 -- I even doubt I ever compiled them successfully before, as I was mainly working on the DM2 engine. I got SKwin compile again which is a good thing and I am now checking the situation. I actually played a lot with custom graphics.dat packages and will also include the tool that build them into the project. I was not even remembering that we added a basic midi player to have the musics like in the PC-DOS version.
The engine definitively crashes at some levels changes like falling into pits. PC-DOS savegames can be used with SKWin.
@Bit : would you mind if we add your skwindos/skull into skwin project (on GitHub) ?
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Hi Sphenx,
I recently wrote a message to Christophe. I got a problem with my DM2 source and MSVC 2019. The FILE struct changed, so I cannot get the handle out of it and because all of the source was WATCOM-based, I must find a solution for that. Basically it is equal to me where the project is placed, but I won't publish a source that isn't working. I never worked on github, so is the source private then, or always public?
Then: the working version is marked as 0.39, but I also found a 0.4-project, which is still in the state of 'textprocessing'. So, I think, I wanted to fill it with the latest variable names of yours. That was the point when real life stroke on me and I had to stop. It would need a huge effort to reprogram my brain for this and I doubt I would like to. You know that I found a new hobby and also I did download 100 GB of VST-instruments, because something in me want to make some music again...
If you still can access the old dropbox place, you surely could download my sources from there and set up the github project. Just tell me about.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I just gave it a try to compile the project with old MSVC 9.0 and Allegro-library version 5.0.10
With some allegro-filename-adjustments for compiler and linker the project did compile fine in the end. And it still runs.
Don't know if i can make it with the 2019 version of MSVC and the newest Allegro-library 5.2.x, because it's hard to find working Win-binaries for it.
Took a look into the source - nothing changed, it's still pretty unreadable, confusing and -much-! ;)
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

On GitHub we can have public or private repos. Skwin is on public here. But we could set up others repos for private.

About SKWin EN/JP versions : the PC9821 version comes with 2 different graphics.dat, on versioned 4.0d and the other 4.0.1.
They are both supposed to be run in japanese, but the 4.0d version comes with a few texts left in english (including the character sheet interface).
- SKWin.Release_EN_JP.exe : runs using JP language and graphics.dat 4.0d
- SKWin.Release_JP_JP.exe : runs using JP language and graphics.dat 4.0.1
I had removed these exe and instead merged these graphics.dat into one. The language can still be selected through SKWin option.
Bit wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:33 am I did download 100 GB of VST-instruments, because something in me want to make some music again...
Seems like a lot of high quality instruments to compose good music :)
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I now managed to compile the newest version of the library myself. Using 'cmake' is like jumping out of an airplane to dive back into time. It's unfunny like ever... There's still the 'FILE'-problem left. I'll trace the missing variable and hope it will vanish finally. Will checkout skwin on github in between.
On the one side, we could even have it in 64-bit code now. On the other side, do we really want to ruin anyone's life who will try to further develop this evil code? :)
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

After all those years, wouldn't it be easier to try to contact one of the makers for that they provide the original code? (if they are still alive...)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Sphenx, if you plan to make a new release of DM2GDED, I have the following request:
I have uploaded the demo version of DM2 for PC-9801 at http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/605#toc7 and DM2GDED fails to open the GRAPHICS.DAT of this version with the message "Unexpected file format", although the file uses the same general format as the other versions.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Noted, it's about some controls present in DM2GDED and I already checked before that the PC-9801 won't open with it. Other extractions method will work.
I was not aware about a demo version for PC-9801. Do you happen to have the extracted versions of graphics.dat and dungeon.dat ?
The PC-9801 seems to be the closest to the PC beta version, still containing graphics and removed locations from it.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

You can grab the files here: http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/PC9801DemoData.7z

DM2GDED (Rev10 that is part of skproject 2016-12-31) opens the full PC-9801 data file fine, the issue is only with the demo PC-9801 data file.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Thanks for the files; looks quite the same as PC-DOS demo, and plenty of stuff is cut out of it.
But I am still confused, even from the rev10 (dated 2016-08-21) from the release 2016-12-31, I cannot open any PC-9801 graphics.dat file. I am missing something here ... either the exe or the dat file.
Could you send me the data files from the standard PC-9801 version you are using ? and or is possible the DM2GDED exe ?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I got DM2GDED from https://github.com/gbsphenx/skproject/r ... l-20161231
DM2 PC-9801 graphics.dat: http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/PC9801FullData.7z

Note that the GRAPHICS.DAT file is split in two parts on the original PC-9801 floppies. Maybe you tried opening the first part only, without joining them first in a single file? You can join them with the following command line: copy /b graphics.dat + graphic2.dat dm2pc9801.dat.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Thanks Christophe; the problem was with my graphics.dat, although I was able to extract by other tools ... So then I confirm there is no problem with DM2GDED for that.
Interesting stuff that there is a third "shield-capsule" item to summon a U-Haul Minion. It is not even in the beta. The PC-9801 version is somewhere between the Beta and the other standard releases.
I tried to compile again DM2GDED; MSVC told me to install missing component through the installer, the installer told me to update, then it broke itself and can't install anything ... Thanks Microsoft. I will need some time more to get a proper environment to compile these.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Reading those old codes, I'm getting instantly tired. I'm still stuck with this 'FILE' problem. There is some devicestate needed. I wonder if that is because of some caching system and is just in the PC version. I still got no idea what this all means and how to solve this. Will continue to try.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Another possible fix for a future release of DM2GDED:

There are 6 images in DM2 FM-Towns GRAPHICS.DAT that DM2GDED fails to decode, as Kentaro noted here (MEMO2): http://kkdf2.sakura.ne.jp/danmasu-lj/Co ... /index.htm
These are items 1788, 1789, 1790 and 2142, 2143, 2144, which are images for wall ornates 55h and 85h.

I have identified the issue. The IMG1/IMG2 algorithm described on http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/220#toc91 was not complete. These images use command #Dh that was missing in the documentation. I have now updated the documentation and decoding of the images succeeded.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Hi Christophe, I managed to get a working environment to compile DM2GDED (shortly, new VM + all required updates + MSVC 2019, so that I don't destroy further my current work environment.)
I built a quick update where I removed the control at gdat loading step : DM2GDED rev11 beta. That way the PC-9801 demo graphics.dat can be loaded. Tell me if this works for you.
I will also have to check that I can now compile DMDC2 before building a proper release.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

The program does not start, I get popups with these error messages:

The code execution cannot proceed because mfc140d.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140D.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
The code execution cannot proceed because ucrtbased.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
The code execution cannot proceed because VCRUNTIME140D.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Those are Microsoft-Runtime-DLLs for MSVC.
Perhaps check this link
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -downloads
Haven't tried it now. The letter d before the dll means probably, that this is the debuggable version. That's a bit strange. sphenx could know.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

This is indeed the debug version; I was not able to build the release version straight from the current setup and was not in the mood to investigate why it didn't work ... I tried the debug version on another computer and it was running fine so I thought it would be good. I forgot I also installed MSVC on that one so ... I hope to get the release version work soon.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

I think I got it right now : DM2GDED rev11 beta
Let me know.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Thank you for this new version, I can run it now and I can open the PC-9801 demo data file with it.
However I noticed some regressions after opening all 17 original DM2 graphics.dat files that I have:
  • Object/item names are not automatically selected anymore, I have to choose them manually from the Options menu. I guess that is part of what you removed to allow opening the PC-9801 demo file.
  • Biggest issue: some or all images are not decoded anymore in the following files (check creature images for example): Sega CD EN, Sega CD JP, FM-Towns, Macintosh EN, PC 0.9 Beta, PC English, PC French, PC German
In case you don't have all of them, here are the 17 files that I have if you want to test for yourself:
http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/DM2GraphicsDatFiles.7z
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

The regression is certainly due to the removal of the control; the program would then detect what is the target platform of the graphics.dat to tell how it would decode further elements. The thing is that I currently don't know on which elements the PC-9801 demo must be detected since apparently it is not like the PC-9801 retail itself. I will have to figure this out.

Thanks for the graphics.dat package, there are some I had not; I noticed some points:
- The "PC German" equals the "PC EnglishJewelCase" file
- All PC English / German / French are multilanguages so I don't really know what are the differences between them, but the "French" datafile is the biggest.
- There are two different PC-9821 versions, 4.0d and 4.0.1; you included only 4.0.1. I guess you have the other somewhere, else it is included in SKWIN (data/GRAPHICS_PC9821_v4.0d_9821J12.dat)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Sorry I did not notice the duplicate files "PC German" and "PC EnglishJewelCase".

I was not aware of two PC-9821 versions! I only have the newer one (4.0.1).
Do you have a full CD image of the first release? Where does it come from? Are there also differences in the program or dungeon? I'd like to have an ISO image (or any other format) of that release for my collection.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

I don't have a full CD image of that one, I got most of the files from your site .. so I guess I got that one directly from SKWin.
You may try to reach Kentaro about that.
As far as I know, the differences are that 4.0d (internally dated 1994-08-09) contains a few texts in english (mainly for interface) while everything else is in japanese. The 4.0.1 (internally dated 1994-08-20) is fully japanese. For that, 4.0.1 should be 99% the same as the IBM-PS/V graphics.dat (which is internally dated 1994-08-09 as v4.0d ... that can be confusing). I don't believe there are differences in the program or dungeon.
Though, I never really compared the different dungeon.dat files.
JETENGINE
Journeyman

Post by JETENGINE »

I am willing and able to provide the DM2-PC CD stats, if anyone is interested. Made for MS-DOS. I have the files copied from the CD, ready for use.
Hanging by a thread.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”