Cheat for Food?

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Bozotros
Neophyte

Cheat for Food?

Post by Bozotros »

Hi everyone, I'm down on level three and my party is suffering badly from lack of food (and water but I know where to get water). My party is too weak to deal with the rockpiles and trollins and mummies down here. They've stumbled across small amounts of food, but not enough. And there don't seem to be any edible screamers on this level. So -- rather than backtrack, is there any way for me to cheat DSB for food?
Prince of Elves
Craftsman

Re: Cheat for Food?

Post by Prince of Elves »

Well, if you're too weak to deal with the enemies, you'll have to do some leveling anyway, preferably with some screamers as they also provide food. The next food source further on will be magenta worms but they're quite horrifying to fight first time you meet them.

As for your question, I don't know about that, but I don't think you can just boost items into an ongoing game. What I know is you can use the editor, but as far as I know you create a whole new game with that (even by just adding some food to a level) so you'd have to start over anyway.
Bozotros
Neophyte

Post by Bozotros »

Yeah thanks. I tried using the ESB editor but it doesn't seem to have any effect on an ongoing game. There don't seem to be any screamers on this level. If there are worms on this level I haven't run into them yet and my team would likely be too weak to defeat them. So I just reverted to an older game back on Level Two and I'll try to manage my food better up there.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There's a big supply of food on the next level, but you need to have stronger champions to get it... Sounds like you might be sleeping too much too, that depletes food quickly. Try being a bit more aggressive in pushing forward and don't wait around so much...
Bozotros
Neophyte

Post by Bozotros »

I'm doing better now. Finished the Choose Your Room section and got down to the Prepare To Meet Your Doom level. The rockpiles down here are strong! And those ghosts and wasps are no fun either. But at least I'm not starving anymore.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Level Four only has one Ghost and one Giant Wasp, so if you've dealt with those then at least you don't have to worry about being attacked by any more of them on that level :).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The ghost and wasp are the least of your worries... ;-)
kaypy
Artisan

Post by kaypy »

This is a bit late, but while you can't modify the dungeon contents mid game, you can tweak the dungeon *rules* mid game.
Rules that could include:
Whenever the party takes a step, screamer slice is spawned on the parties tile
or
The Des Ven spell hurls steak at your foes
Friends don't let friends eat worm round
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Bozotros wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:59 pm Hi everyone, I'm down on level three and my party is suffering badly from lack of food (and water but I know where to get water). My party is too weak to deal with the rockpiles and trollins and mummies down here. They've stumbled across small amounts of food, but not enough. And there don't seem to be any edible screamers on this level. So -- rather than backtrack, is there any way for me to cheat DSB for food?
Just noticed this. Does DSB use food and water the same as DM? In other words, if your party has plenty of water will your stats remain at 50%, even if your food levels are at 0%? After a few attempts, I remember simply saving my food (well, I did break my diet/fast occasionally) until I reached the screamer room.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

DSB's math is based directly on my best understanding of the reverse engineered DM source code. It should match DM's behavior exactly. If there are any differences, they are not intentional and I will correct them if/when someone brings them to my attention.