GoG giving away EoB

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
slickrcbd
Adept

GoG giving away EoB

Post by slickrcbd »

https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_real ... a8c0c0c549

Since GoG is offering Eye of the Beholder for Free

While decent, for some reason even though they are newer and more technologically advanced (especially Eob3), the Eye of the Beholder games always felt like inferior knockoffs to the indie game Dungeon Master and felt more clunky to play than DM. The game is abandonware, and might be freeware or something, I'm not sure on the exact legal status. FTL games is long gone, and there are several clones out there you can download that recreate the game faithfully. The website I linked has the game for download.

Am I just biased or did anybody else think EoB, which clearly ripped off from Dungeon Master's playstyle much like Bard's Tale ripped off Wizardry was not as well done as DM?
I still prefer DM over EoB.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: GoG giving away EoB

Post by Gambit37 »

The visuals of EoB were much better than DM, that's about the only thing that I think it did better. I recall that I enjoyed Eob1 and 2 at the time, but I don't really recall many of the specific scenario or game moments in the way that I still do with DM. I think that's more to do with our *first* experiences of something new being the one that sticks with us the most. There was nothing especially bad about EoB, it just didn't stay with me in the way DM did.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I loved EOB 2. I played EOB 3, and was having a great time, but it seems I went underwater and came to a door or gate but had to leave for some emergency just as I got the door to open. I came back later, never being able to get past that door. After multiple attempts, I simply game up. At least I 'think' that was where I stopped. So many years, I may have two games twisted together in my mind.

P.S. I went to the address slickrcbd left, but couldn't get the group of EOB games to go into my cart. They wanted $9.99 or something for them, but that would be a great deal.
"Wuuf's big brother"
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

The giveaway was only for one week.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I tried to get back on GOG.com twice today. Still won't seem to allow me to purchase the EOB stuff. I even logged in, since I joined them awhile back and purchased Might and Magic 1-9. Great deal. Both sons and I have just about worn out a keyboard or two, playing six and seven. I think eight was a flop. Nine had a disappointing ending.
"Wuuf's big brother"
slickrcbd
Adept

Post by slickrcbd »

I only purchased 1-6, mostly because I never got to play anything after M&M II due to my family falling on hard times and me not getting a new computer until 1997 and it was a hand-me-down Mac. I did not get a Windows computer until early 2000 and it came with Windows 98SE.
I might buy the others, but I've only started playing them now. I still haven't beaten 3 yet.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I replayed VI recently. It's my favourite of the three I've played (VI-VIII) and I still take full advantage of three big exploits to get cool stuff. Because why not? :D
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

slickrcbd wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:24 am I only purchased 1-6, mostly because I never got to play anything after M&M II due to my family falling on hard times and me not getting a new computer until 1997 and it was a hand-me-down Mac. I did not get a Windows computer until early 2000 and it came with Windows 98SE.
I might buy the others, but I've only started playing them now. I still haven't beaten 3 yet.
If you ever get the chance, try to play M&M 7. Better graphics. The 'get through the game' mechanics might seem odd, after M&M 6.
Six and seven remain my favorites.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I still enjoy VII (it was the game that introduced Arcomage, after all :D), but it feels a little more restrictive in terms of what you can do. It's stil fun and everything, just not quite in the same was as its immediate predecessor. VIII has a bunch of cool stuff such as the variety of playable races, but found that it was surprisingly short when I last played it and actually finished it (something I think I failed to do the first time around, for some reason).